Author Topic: Biggest Disappointment in the Election?  (Read 3000 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Biggest Disappointment in the Election?
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Missouri decided to increase its minimum wage to 12-something per hour.

Keep going. Texas can do the manufacturing you'll lose.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
David Young losing IA-3

Steve King not losing IA-4

Which one did you post about loosing his financial backers?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
Keep going. Texas can do the manufacturing you'll lose.

I won't tell you what else Texas can do.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 01:53:31 PM »
The #$% Republicans had an opportunity to repeal Obamacare, crack down on immigration, build the wall, give us CC reciprocity, deregulate suppressors, improve the budget, defund Planned Parenthood... and they absolutely spit on their voters and accomplished none of that.  That my big disappointment.   :mad:

^^^^ This.  The GOP didn't get nearly as much done in the past 2 years as they could/should have.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »
Which one did you post about loosing his financial backers?

King
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
^^^^ This.  The GOP didn't get nearly as much done in the past 2 years as they could/should have.

I am not sure about McConnell, but Paul Ryan seemed to be dead set against doing anything Trump wanted except the tax bill.  Certainly Senators like John McCain shared that view.  The Republican lead in the Senate wasn't enough to get around the guys like Flake and McCain.  A potential positive is a bunch of long time Republican Congressmen like Paul Ryan or John McCain retired prior to this election.  It is possible the remaining Republicans might be more effective. 

I realize that is asking a lot and I may just be too optimistic, but I am happier that way.     
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 02:47:02 PM »
I am not sure about McConnell, but Paul Ryan seemed to be dead set against doing anything Trump wanted except the tax bill.  Certainly Senators like John McCain shared that view.  The Republican lead in the Senate wasn't enough to get around the guys like Flake and McCain.  A potential positive is a bunch of long time Republican Congressmen like Paul Ryan or John McCain retired prior to this election.  It is possible the remaining Republicans might be more effective. 

I realize that is asking a lot and I may just be too optimistic, but I am happier that way.     

I'm glad Ryan is out, but his replacement looks like he just crawled out of the Paul Ryan cloning tank.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
Anytime you can trade a Jeff Flake in for McSally, it's a good day. Lot of never trump Republicans gone.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »
The Republican lead in the Senate wasn't enough to get around the guys like Flake and McCain.  A potential positive is a bunch of long time Republican Congressmen like Paul Ryan or John McCain retired prior to this election.  It is possible the remaining Republicans might be more effective.  

But the Senate can't pass any laws that the House won't pass, and a Democrat-controlled House won't pass anything Trump (or America) wants. Thank the deity of your choice that the Republicans now have better control of the Senate than they have had for the past two years, because at least they can block the idiocy that's almost certain to start spewing out of the House.

Unless ... it's also possible that a Democrat-controlled House will be so intent on trying to impeach Trump that they won't have tome for much else.

And the Rs control the chamber that approves federal judicial appointments. That's "YUUUUGE."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
I'm getting the sense that Trump doesn't care about losing the House.

Given a small enough majority he might feel that on any given issue he can get enough Dems to cross-over to get him whatever he wants.

And for us that should be fun to watch as the Dem leadership constantly fails to stop El Orange Jefe.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 04:58:53 PM »
The #$% Republicans had an opportunity to repeal Obamacare, crack down on immigration, build the wall, give us CC reciprocity, deregulate suppressors, improve the budget, defund Planned Parenthood... and they absolutely spit on their voters and accomplished none of that.  That my big disappointment.   :mad:
Gee, I wonder why they lost so many seats . . . ?

Prediction: for the next 2 years, they'll use "We don't have both houses of Congress" as an excuse to accomplish nothing worthwhile.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 06:00:33 PM »

And the Rs control the chamber that approves federal judicial appointments. That's "YUUUUGE."
Agree. Here's hoping trump gets to appoint 2 new Supreme Court justices! (RBG is looking a little pale).
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 06:34:55 PM »

Agree. Here's hoping trump gets to appoint 2 new Supreme Court justices! (RBG is looking a little pale).

As Trump failed to deliver a Red Wave election, leaving us short on lib tears and meltdowns, he should make it up to us by floating a plan to appoint additional SCOTUS justices. It's the right thing to do.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »
My disappointment involves the fact that Americans in general haven't learned much from the past year's stupidity.  I guess because so many of them were involved in that stupidity that it looked normal and acceptable.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 11:19:04 PM »
In Michigan we went from double digit unemployment and basically total wreckage to being a very prosperous state over the last 8 years.  During that time the Rs were responsible for making some changes in government neb nosing that allowed most of that success...but at the same time did some really, really stupid things. 

As a result, the good was forgotten and the stupid caused us to now have a horrible, leftist D governor who today, the day after her election, called for 2 billion dollars in increased taxes to piss away, a D sect of state that couldn't find her way out of a box, and an attorney general that if she even was to take the oath of office, which I doubt, could be charged with perjury.  She is a hater of the constitution, of law enforcement and just about every other thing that keeps anarchy from running rampant. 

I used to think that it might be a good thing to have some intelligent, reasonable women in public office.  I'm beginning to wonder about that because a good deal of them lately are barking moonbats.  Where are Maggie Thatcher clones when you need them?

The state of our electorate perhaps can be reduced to what I heard a friend say today.  He said he talked to his neighbor about voting and she said she didn't really understand any of the ballot questions or who to vote for, so she just went down the list and voted for women.  sigh
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 12:52:29 AM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 01:00:55 AM »

I've seen that before, but I'm not telling where.  =)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »
Gee, I wonder why they lost so many seats . . . ?

Prediction: for the next 2 years, they'll use "We don't have both houses of Congress" as an excuse to accomplish nothing worthwhile.  :mad:

They didn't lose so many seats. Tied for 9th most seats lost in a midterm. Some of those coming from when the house had less seats. How many of the left wing media darlings won?

I would blame Ryan, but I cannot remember a house that got things done in my life. Even Gingrich screwed it away. And Pelosi was awful, so here is hoping she is just as bad at herding cats this time. Many cats that will be trying to get reelected in centrist districts.
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:59 AM »
They didn't lose so many seats. Tied for 9th most seats lost in a midterm. Some of those coming from when the house had less seats. How many of the left wing media darlings won?

I would blame Ryan, but I cannot remember a house that got things done in my life. Even Gingrich screwed it away. And Pelosi was awful, so here is hoping she is just as bad at herding cats this time. Many cats that will be trying to get reelected in centrist districts.
I thought Gingrich was fairly successful as Speaker.  They actually balanced the budget (or got real close).  Got Welfare reform pushed through with Clinton as Pres.  IMO, it was Gingrich's successors who "screwed it away" by abandoning any semblance of budget control. 

Regardless, I am glad Ryan is gone.  We will see what the future holds.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »

She's already making gaffes every time they stick a microphone in her face. If she's Speaker, it's going to be a blue wave of Pelosi gaffes, and maybe even some carrying-Hillary-into-the-van moments for the old girl.

So at least there's that.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »
. . . They actually balanced the budget (or got real close) . . .
If you look at the treasury direct website, you'll see that the total national debt increased every single year for which Clinton and Gingrich claimed a balanced budget. They played semantic games with "public debt" and "intragovernmental debt" to make their balance claims.

But as far as I'm concerned, you haven't balanced anything if you end each year deeper in the hole than when you started.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
I base my Gingrich comments on the fact it was a huge red wave and then *poof* two years later, jack diddly.
AKA Navy Joe   

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 06:16:59 PM »
Jack Diddly.

Senator, I served with Jack Diddly. I knew Jack Diddly. Jack Diddly was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Diddly.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.