Author Topic: Acosta gets the boot from White House  (Read 9422 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Acosta gets the boot from White House
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »
The aide should have played like a democrat, drop to the floor holding her arm and wailing in pain.

Wow, that's tougher than Adam Carolla's old Germany or Florida game. Democrat or Premier league footballer, who faked it better?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 08:14:29 PM »
He knocked her arm away.  The APS law team can double check me, but I'm pretty sure that would be considered either assault or battery.

Harsh words/threats = assault.

Physical contact = battery.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 09:16:12 PM »
I don't even buy that Acosta was particularly mean to the girl. The fact that he refused to surrender the microphone, physically resisted, and still disrupted proceedings after relinquishing it, is what counts.

Fistful is correct. (huh?!)
There is no need to pretend he karate chopped her or anything, his actual conduct was more than enough reason to revoke his privileges.
Calling that assault/battery is absurd and I would hope anyone with common sense could that see after watching video of it.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 10:26:55 PM »

Calling that assault/battery is absurd and I would hope anyone with common sense could that see after watching video of it.

The law often doesn't mesh with what we call "common sense." He laid a hand on her -- I believe that does constitute assault in most states. (Not certain about Washington, DC).

https://www.shouselaw.com/assault.html

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
Fistful is correct. (huh?!)
There is no need to pretend he karate chopped her or anything, his actual conduct was more than enough reason to revoke his privileges.

Had that been say a Fox News Reporter during a Democrat administration, the reporter's head would already be out the basket and mounted on a pike in front of the White House....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 12:29:45 AM »
He knocked her arm away.  The APS law team can double check me, but I'm pretty sure that would be considered either assault or battery.

Assault is when an attempt to hit, or punch someone but it misses.   Battery is actually striking someone.   A lot of jurisdictions will charge one who actually strikes someone with "assault and battery" because it was an attempt and actually succeeded.

I used to live in Connecticut,  where I once discussed this with a police officer ,   who said this particular crime doesn't exist in that state.  I asked him if he came upon a scene where a person had punched another, what he'd charge the offender with,  and he replied "disturbing the peace."
Different jurisdictions do it differently.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 12:58:54 AM »
I used to live in Connecticut,  where I once discussed this with a police officer ,   who said this particular crime doesn't exist in that state.  I asked him if he came upon a scene where a person had punched another, what he'd charge the offender with,  and he replied "disturbing the peace."
Different jurisdictions do it differently.

Never ask a cop about the law.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_952.htm

Start at 53a-59 and keep reading down from there. I'd say assault exists in Connecticut.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 09:58:29 AM »
Had that been say a Fox News Reporter during a Democrat administration, the reporter's head would already be out the basket and mounted on a pike in front of the White House....
Maybe so but I don't play the "democrats would do it" hypothetical game to determine how I see things and I don't see assault there.
I do admit that's from a common sense perspective, I don't know the nuance of every law and an ambulance chaser may see things differently.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Maybe so but I don't play the "democrats would do it" hypothetical game to determine how I see things and I don't see assault there.
I do admit that's from a common sense perspective, I don't know the nuance of every law and an ambulance chaser may see things differently.

Pursuant to this thread, I looked up the laws on assault for several states, and they vary widely. In some states, "assault" requires not just an intent to strike but also an intent to do harm or to injure. In those states, a left jab or a right cross that misses would be assault, but putting your hand an a young lady's arm to prevent her from taking the microphone probably would not be. In other states, as I posted above, even harsh words can be construed as assault, and physically laying hands on another person (as Acosta did) would be assault, and possibly battery.

One of the joys of living in a republic, with 51 separate and different sets of laws.

Try it yourself. Just Google "[state] statutes assault" using different states for the first search word, and see what you come up with.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
I'm no fan of Acosta, but I also don't think he meant any harm to the staffer and if anyone were criminally charged for that type of interaction I'd consider it to be unjust.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »
Never ask a cop about the law.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_952.htm

Start at 53a-59 and keep reading down from there. I'd say assault exists in Connecticut.

I don't know when that list you attached became law .... but the conversation I had with that amateur Perry Mason-in-a-uniform  took place 30+ years ago.

So, either
A.)  Ct. Law has been significantly updated since the Reagan Era, or,
B.)  That police officer was amazingly wrong.   Possible....I suppose ....but  ???... heck, I'd only be guessing.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 11:25:48 AM »
A friend at work, who is a NPC, was up in arms about how this uncivility is all Trumps fault and how he is embarrassed by Trumps behavior.

Most every day “Joes” are so far gone I don’t even know what to say to them.

They think the USA is magic and will just keep rolling right along as if civilization just happens.

Meanwhile vampires, zombies and Orcs are running the media, the permanent government and working feverishly to regain the power they lost in ‘16.

And the NPC is worried about how realspeak looks.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
I saw some idiot female talking head claiming that she assaulted him by grabbing the microphone, which was ". . . an extension of his arm . . . "     :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
I don't know when that list you attached became law .... but the conversation I had with that amateur Perry Mason-in-a-uniform  took place 30+ years ago.

So, either
A.)  Ct. Law has been significantly updated since the Reagan Era, or,
B.)  That police officer was amazingly wrong.   Possible....I suppose ....but  ???... heck, I'd only be guessing.

Disturbing the Peace is a good catch-all for arresting someone who's causing trouble (certainly ripe for abuse, too).  In the few states where I've checked, it's a more serious misdemeanor than one would expect.   The DA can choose what to actually charge.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »
I don't know when that list you attached became law .... but the conversation I had with that amateur Perry Mason-in-a-uniform  took place 30+ years ago.

So, either
A.)  Ct. Law has been significantly updated since the Reagan Era, or,
B.)  That police officer was amazingly wrong.   Possible....I suppose ....but  ???... heck, I'd only be guessing.

That's not a "list," and it isn't a law in itself. It's the on-line index to Connecticut statutes on-line. The "list" is current, but each statute linked to is going to have its own, individual date of enactment, and then possible revision. Just for example, if you click the link to 53a-59 (the first statute addressing assault) you can see the legislative history following the text of the statute. Looks like it was originally enacted in 1960, then revised in 1980, 1992, 1994, 1995, and 1999.

So, not exactly new. Only 58 years old.

To reiterate: Never ask a cop about the law.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
I was a cop.  Most LE have no idea what the laws are other than the few simple ones they deal with on a daily basis.  LE does not teach laws to their officers.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
In 1999 I was dating a woman who had been a high school classmate. She was a cheerleader, and I was on the basketball team. In high school, she was dating (and later married) the captain of the football team. We didn't share any classes, and I'm not sure if we ever spoke in high school. We encountered each other at a reunion in 1997, discovered that we were both divorced and unattached, I asked her out, and we continued to see each other for a couple of years.

She had a nephew who was a police officer (later made captain) on the force of a nearby small city. In 1999 we were invited to a 4th of July BBQ at the home of her former brother-in-law -- the father of the cop. The cop nephew was there, and somewhere along the line I asked him about the legality of transporting a handgun to a shooting range if I didn't have a carry permit (which I didn't, in 1999). He said, "No problem."

WRONG! In fact ... in this state it would have been (and still is today) a felony. I got my carry permit in 2000, so it hasn't been an issue, but his well-intended advice could have gotten me in deep doo-doo

Never ask a cop about the law...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 10:10:42 PM »
That's the way it was in 1987 when I got my CT permit.
You had to have a permit to take a handgun out of your house. The permit was also a CCW permit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
That's the way it was in 1987 when I got my CT permit.
You had to have a permit to take a handgun out of your house. The permit was also a CCW permit.

Was your Connecticut permit valid in mid-Atlantic, at a depth of 600 feet?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2018, 11:47:33 PM »
That's not a "list," and it isn't a law in itself. It's the on-line index to Connecticut statutes on-line. The "list" is current, but each statute linked to is going to have its own, individual date of enactment, and then possible revision. Just for example, if you click the link to 53a-59 (the first statute addressing assault) you can see the legislative history following the text of the statute. Looks like it was originally enacted in 1960, then revised in 1980, 1992, 1994, 1995, and 1999.

So, not exactly new. Only 58 years old.

To reiterate: Never ask a cop about the law.

OK,   Got it the first time.  

As for it not being a "list," ;  coulda fooled me.  Sure looked like one.

LIST:  (n.) A number of connected items or names written or printed consecutively, typically one below the other.
Oxford American Dictionary  third edition, page 1019.

Sorta guessin' I might be right,  since I didn't ask a cop. ;)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
Was your Connecticut permit valid in mid-Atlantic, at a depth of 600 feet?

I was on "shore duty" when I was stationed at Groton. I was an instructor at Sub School teaching a 14 week course on an electronic surveillance/counter measures system that was on 637 class fast attack subs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »

As for it not being a "list," ;  coulda fooled me.  Sure looked like one.

LIST:  (n.) A number of connected items or names written or printed consecutively, typically one below the other.
Oxford American Dictionary  third edition, page 1019.

In that vein, I guess we have to conclude that "All indexes are lists, but not all lists are indexes." The point remains that the link I provided was not to a law, but to the on-line index to Connecticut laws under one chapter of their statutes.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
In that vein, I guess we have to conclude that "All indexes are lists, but not all lists are indexes." The point remains that the link I provided was not to a law, but to the on-line index to Connecticut laws under one chapter of their statutes.

:lol:  I'll take off my pedant hat now..... >:D

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
For some reason I started thinking of technological solutions to the "won't give up the mic" problem.

Given that we're talking about the white house, money shouldn't be any real issue.  How hard would it be to have an audio system with 2 "field" mics for handing out to the crowd, and the moment your questions are done - they kill the audio from that mic.  IE You'd better speak loud if you want to be heard by more than your neighbors.  You hand the second mic to the next reporter in line and turn that one on.  Get the original mic back from the first reporter more or less at your leisure.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
That would work but wouldn't be as entertaining as putting a taser in the mic.

Samuel Adams