Author Topic: Another mass shooting  (Read 3312 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Another mass shooting
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/massive-police-response-after-reports-of-shooting-at-california-nightclub

Going to go out on a limb and say this was targeted due to being "college country night." And if it turns out so I expect not much news coverage because of the victims being correct. Example, I saw a pic with a survivor or relative thereof in a black rifle coffee sweatshirt. Perfect media crime, get to bloviate about guns and not care about the dead.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Another mass shooting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
I am seeing reports of this all over my news feed this morning, from a variety of media.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/massive-police-response-after-reports-of-shooting-at-california-nightclub

Going to go out on a limb and say this was targeted due to being "college country night." And if it turns out so I expect not much news coverage because of the victims being correct. Example, I saw a pic with a survivor or relative thereof in a black rifle coffee sweatshirt. Perfect media crime, get to bloviate about guns and not care about the dead.

After Las Vegas as well, I wouldn't be surprised to discover the shooters have a political motive. (The whole "WE HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE LAS VEGAS SHOOTER DID IT!" is questionable, to say the least.)

Random nutjob is still the leading contender for the motive of the perpetrator, but it's not a 100% certainty.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:17:48 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46135459

The assailant used smoke grenades and a pistol.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
Well, at least they waited four hours before calling for more gun control.
AKA Navy Joe   

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 10:12:22 AM »
Well, at least they waited four hours before calling for more gun control.

So are we going to ban smoke now?

Maybe the .45?

Just what exactly would have prevented this tragedy? Make it MORE illegal to take a gun into a bar? (I'm assuming it's already illegal in California)

Make it more illegal to shoot people? (I'm assuming it's already illegal in California)

Yes, I know that the likelihood of effectiveness has zero bearing on the left's push for gun control.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »

Make it more illegal to shoot people? (I'm assuming it's already illegal in California)

Who knows? It's California.

This only happened because Trump wouldn't ban bump stocks
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
The report I read said the shooter used a Glock, with extended magazines. Doesn't California have a magazine capacity limit? Does an extended magazine make a Glock pistol into an evil assault weapon?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Fox News says the murderer was a former Marine and used a .45 caliber Glock.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
It does. Understandably traumatized witness said he changed mags in like six seconds and looked like he knew what he was doing. Sorry, only one of those statements can be accurate. My slidelock shot to shot time with a Glock was about 1.5 or less, I came into gun games in the ban era and played in the ten round Glock class. Mag changes didn't greatly alter rate of fire, but carrying six mags sure was annoying.
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
 Example, I saw a pic with a survivor or relative thereof in a black rifle coffee sweatshirt. Perfect media crime, get to bloviate about guns and not care about the dead.

So they asked them if they were going to repent of their association with the Dark Lord AR-15?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
The report I read said the shooter used a Glock, with extended magazines. Doesn't California have a magazine capacity limit? Does an extended magazine make a Glock pistol into an evil assault weapon?

It's the bump stock that makes it evil.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 12:36:01 PM »
.45 is super powerful and even more evilz than the normal evilz 9mm.

*Sigh* or at least that's the vibe I got from the idiot reporting for NBC this morning.

I'd go out on a limb and say the guy had Cali compliant 10 rounders and the whitnesses don't know how long a second it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:54 PM »
.45 is super powerful and even more evilz than the normal evilz 9mm.

*Sigh* or at least that's the vibe I got from the idiot reporting for NBC this morning.

I'd go out on a limb and say the guy had Cali compliant 10 rounders and the whitnesses don't know how long a second it.

Yeah. Its almost like having magazine capacity restrictions causes people to choose more powerful cartridges.

At some point in time, ARs and SKSs are going to be completely banned in California, and there will be a mass shooting with a remington 742, the left is going to absolutely shocked by the carnage left behind.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6366501/Gunman-shoots-dozens-victims-including-police-officer-opens-fire-California-bar.html

28 year old ex-Marine lance corporal.  Served five years between 2008-2013, apparently had PTSD and had a curbside mental health eval by the police back in April, and did not qualify to be detained.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
So, interesting. Slight tangent from the actual shooting, but actor Ashton Kutcher (I have lost all respect for hottie Mila Kunis) in a social media statement calling for gun control in light of the shooting, appears to have admitted to a crime, and implicated his friend as well.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2018/11/09/thats-a-crime-dude-did-ashton-kutcher-admit-to-violating-calif-law-in-tweet-calling-for-gun-reform-now/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
I'd bet that Kutcher received that gun (if it is a true story) 20+ years ago.  Were the gun laws in California that restrictive then?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 04:43:02 PM »
I'd bet that Kutcher received that gun (if it is a true story) 20+ years ago.  Were the gun laws in California that restrictive then?

Given a quick googles shows him as 40, then that's another law he broke. :)

Also:

Required Sales Through Dealers, 1991

Prior to 1991, firearms sales could be private; after 1991, Penal Code 12070 required substantially all sales to use a California-licensed FFL dealer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
He would have to have been ~13 years in order to "legally" do the transfer in 1991.  So no matter what, he broke a law. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
But he's a "somebody," so obviously the laws don't apply to him. Get with the program, you uppity serf.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
So are we going to ban smoke now?

Maybe the .45?

Just what exactly would have prevented this tragedy? Make it MORE illegal to take a gun into a bar? (I'm assuming it's already illegal in California)

Yes, I know that the likelihood of effectiveness has zero bearing on the left's push for gun control.

Saw on a news report the mother of one of the victims scream/crying that "....all guns should be banned! No one should have a gun!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
So apparently the guy posted to facebook during his spree.

In the Facebook posting, the source confirms the writer said, “I hope they call me insane .. wouldn’t that just be a big ball of irony? Yea, I’m insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is ‘hopes and prayers’… or ‘keep you in my thoughts’ .. every time .. and wonder why these keep happening….”

Insanity aside, it makes me curious about his political affiliations and if maybe he thought he was martyring himself for say, "the gun control cause".

https://www.foxnews.com/us/thousand-oaks-bar-shooter-posted-to-social-media-while-inside-borderline-bar-grill

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
 [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
Timed to coincide with the "Blue Wave" that should have put democrats back in control so they could pass sweeping, draconian gun control.
 [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).