Author Topic: Texas couple accused of buying $45G worth of rifles for someone in Mexico  (Read 579 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-couple-accused-of-buying-rifles-to-send-to-mexico.amp?__twitter_impression=true

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article221122675.html

In October, the couple went to the dealer to purchase a $9,100 rifle, a $9,000 rifle, a $14,000 rifle and a $12,750 rifle with a silencer. Franco-Hernandez filled out the paperwork because Sevilla-Alvarez couldn’t pass the background check. He had been denied the first time they tried to buy a firearm, the document says.

Because of their high value, the dealer didn’t have the rifles in stock and placed an order for the couple after they paid.

Sevilla-Alvarez and Franco Hernandez returned on Oct. 31 to retrieve one of the rifles and were both approached by investigators with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Sounds like the purchases raised a red flag somehow.  I am curious about the purchases.  Not your typical purchases for drug running.  I would have thought a rich collector could bribe Mexican police to get nice guns.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
Re: Texas couple accused of buying $45G worth of rifles for someone in Mexico
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
Instead of the US having to deal with them, the ATF should have dropped the dime on the couple to the federales... I hear that Mexican prison is nice this time of year.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
Instead of the US having to deal with them, the ATF should have dropped the dime on the couple to the federales... I hear that Mexican prison is nice this time of year.
Depends on the couple's connections - I hear a lot of the federales actually work for the cartels.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
So what kind of rifles sell for those prices?  Given this context, I am assuming these are not some sort of custom rifles with the finest wood and engraving possible.  Were these tactical rifles and this is what piqued the interest of the Feds?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
Fast and Furious of the Rich and Famous.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
Quote from: millcreek
So what kind of rifles sell for those prices?  Given this context, I am assuming these are not some sort of custom rifles with the finest wood and engraving possible.  Were these tactical rifles and this is what piqued the interest of the Feds?

Gonna guess Barrett's or the like.  Some configurations of an M82A1 are $10k before optics.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »
Gonna guess Barrett's or the like.  Some configurations of an M82A1 are $10k before optics.

Somewhat skeptical. $12-14k is more like custom shotgun or safari rifle territory.  A Barrett only gets that high because the optics to use it well cost $3-4k on up. The only Barrett that gets close to $10k is the M82 in .416 Barrett. And that's more because they lack the economy of scale that the .50BMG models have.

And no point in adding items that aren't controlled by the FFL process. Even if high end glass is covered under ITAR.

We really need pics or makes/models here.  That the MSM is leaving therm off could be because it hasn't been made available by the authorities yet. However,  I think we can all see them leaving that off intentionally because a Perazzi or a .416 Rigby double rifle does not "fit the narrative".

Still just as illegal, but some rich Mexican guy trying to bypass his country's laws for high end sporting guns that would never be used in crime even if he is a cartel kingpin, just doesn't have the same impact.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »
Somewhat skeptical. $12-14k is more like custom shotgun or safari rifle territory.  A Barrett only gets that high because the optics to use it well cost $3-4k on up. The only Barrett that gets close to $10k is the M82 in .416 Barrett. And that's more because they lack the economy of scale that the .50BMG models have.

Double check your prices:

Barrett M82A1 $10,217

Barrett M107A1 Suppressor ready $11,914

The M107A1 retails for $12,281 according to Barrett's price list.  Order it with from them with a Leupold and that fancy BORS system and you're at $15kMSRP as it ships.

Obviously they could have been something else, but "OMG SHOOT DOWN AIRLINERZ FIDDY!" seems most likely to catch the hairy eye from the feds.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »
So, what is the problem here?  Sumdoods want to buy guns, sumstore wants to sell guns.  I say let them conduct their business in peace.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 08:57:40 AM »
So, what is the problem here?  Sumdoods want to buy guns, sumstore wants to sell guns.  I say let them conduct their business in peace.
Agreed.  The guy in Mexico should have been able to simply export them.  

I was thinking if someone walked into a gun shop looking to buy a handful of expensive firearms and knew nothing about them nor had much interest in guns, that would raise red flags with most dealers.  Plus one of them was doing the paperwork because the other was ineligible. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge