Author Topic: Environmental Valve Turners  (Read 1261 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Environmental Valve Turners
« on: November 11, 2018, 03:32:42 PM »
Apparently this is what the cool kids are doing now: shutting off valves along oil pipelines as a means of protest. They are even finding sympathetic judges. I guess we'll see how things go when they shut off the wrong valve and something explodes and hurts or kills somebody. Otherwise, you'd think an oil company could sue them for loss of income.

https://www.wired.com/story/monkeywrenching-vandals-are-reinventing-climate-activism/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: Environmental Valve Turners
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
Apparently this is what the cool kids are doing now: shutting off valves along oil pipelines as a means of protest. They are even finding sympathetic judges. I guess we'll see how things go when they shut off the wrong valve and something explodes and hurts or kills somebody. Otherwise, you'd think an oil company could sue them for loss of income.

https://www.wired.com/story/monkeywrenching-vandals-are-reinventing-climate-activism/

SSS

Sick of these cretins.  They take second place only to ballot box stuffers.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Monkey wrench gang
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
I was happier a minute ago, when I wasn't aware of such garbage.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
With any luck, they'll push hard enough that the oil companies will start installing armed security at valve locations on a 24/7 basis.

Morons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »
With any luck, they'll push hard enough that the oil companies will start installing armed security at valve locations on a 24/7 basis.

Morons.

They may not mind that. The companies would have to raise prices, which would make alternative energy more attractive.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 06:30:18 PM »

Morons.

With a bajillion valves all over the country, extremely cost prohibitive. I believe many valves can be opened/closed via the interwebz, thus also surveilled.  I would have thought Keystone valves capable of that, but maybe not, or maybe the criminals are smashing the electronics.

Maybe better to treat them like criminals instead of performing artists. That includes - unlike in the article - handcuffing them, then prosecuting them. It doesn't help that LE and judges are treating them like pals.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:48:23 PM »

Maybe better to treat them like criminals instead of performing artists. That includes - unlike in the article - handcuffing them, then prosecuting them. It doesn't help that LE and judges are treating them like pals.

Agreed completely.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
Ya know, the older I get, the more "Just shoot the SOBs" seems the reasonable course of action...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:06 PM »
I'm sure they would never 'fess up to it, but their actions (and their rationale therefor) demonstrate quite clearly that they favor abandoning the rule of law in favor of outright anarchy. Their philosophy seems to be, "When we can use the law, we support law and order. When the law doesn't do what WE want -- *expletive deleted*ck the law, we'll do what we want anyway."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »
Ya know, the older I get, the more "Just shoot the SOBs" seems the reasonable course of action...

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »
"They are even finding sympathetic judges."

Come onnnnnn, President Trump !  Appoint, appoint, appoint!  Change the philosophy of the judicial system from the ground up and from the top down.  Go, Donald !

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
This thread desperately needs more caning.   :mad:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
"They are even finding sympathetic judges."

Come onnnnnn, President Trump !  Appoint, appoint, appoint!  Change the philosophy of the judicial system from the ground up and from the top down.  Go, Donald !

Unfortunately, Trump only gets to appoint federal judges. If these incidents of industrial sabotage (that's what I consider them to be) are not covered by some federal law, they'll have to be charged and prosecuted under state law. At the state level, many lower court judges are elected, and others are appointed by governors. My state's judges (other than probate court) are all appointed, and I don't think we have had a conservative judge here for more than forty years.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »
Aside from exploding and killing somebody, an overpressure incident in a backed up pipeline could probably trigger a bad leak or burst in the pipeline.

This is how you go from caribou using the pipeline as a heat source through the winter to survive and thrive (good), to animals suffocating in oil and contaminated water supplies (bad).

It amazes me how much environmentalists refuse to acknowledge the symbiotic good that humans do for the environment as its stewards.  I'll grant them that as a species we trend towards a net deficit in stewardship, but discounting the good entirely is myopic.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »
This is how you go from caribou using the pipeline as a heat source through the winter to survive and thrive (good), to animals suffocating in oil and contaminated water supplies (bad)

And the leak from the pipeline sabotaged by environmental terrorist would be touted as an example of why pipelines are bad.
Just declare that  tampering with a pipeline that crosses state lines is an act of terrorism and ship em off to Gitmo.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:53:51 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 03:44:13 PM »
With it being critical infrastructure it wouldn’t be a big stretch for the Fed.gov to get involved.

I cannot believe that there’s not a federal law being broken regarding the sabotaging of critical infrastructure like gas lines, water supplies etc.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »
Unfortunately, Trump only gets to appoint federal judges. If these incidents of industrial sabotage (that's what I consider them to be) are not covered by some federal law, they'll have to be charged and prosecuted under state law. At the state level, many lower court judges are elected, and others are appointed by governors. My state's judges (other than probate court) are all appointed, and I don't think we have had a conservative judge here for more than forty years.

My contention is that "aggressive" emplacement of conservative judges at any level (in this case, federal) will inevitably shift the general judicial population toward conservative.  It's a biasing effect I'm looking at, not a whiz-bang effect.

If miscreants get pats on the back at the state and local level, but get whammed at the federal level, this has got to have a feedback effect on local judges.  Maybe not all of them, but it will give some of them pause and an opportunity to re-think things --maybe just at the water cooler level at first.

Thus, a "biasing" effect.

Rome... built...  day...

Go, Donald, go !

Terry

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:42:15 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 07:45:49 PM »
With it being critical infrastructure it wouldn’t be a big stretch for the Fed.gov to get involved.

I cannot believe that there’s not a federal law being broken regarding the sabotaging of critical infrastructure like gas lines, water supplies etc.
I was thinking about interference with interstate commerce or some conspiracy charge.  With all the felonies that exist, I am sure they could find one if they wanted. 

Other than that, the "necessity defense" and other crap in that article make it sounds like this issue hasn't been in the public debate so they had no choice.  It should all be thrown out since legislatures and Congress have debated it endlessly for decades and it has been rejected (so far).
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 07:49:25 PM »

And the leak from the pipeline sabotaged by environmental terrorist would be touted as an example of why pipelines are bad.
Just declare that  tampering with a pipeline that crosses state lines is an act of terrorism and ship em off to Gitmo.

I find your comments interesting and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »

Doesn't even have to be critical infrastructure. It's interstate commerce. If the feds can claim jurisdiction over marijuana that's grown, harvested, sold and consumed all within one state under the guise that it "affects" interstate commerce (because the end users didn't buy a product from another state!), a pipeline that crosses state lines and carries a product that is sold in multiple states certainly qualifies. Tinkering with a pipeline is environmental terrorism.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »

Other than that, the "necessity defense" and other crap in that article make it sounds like this issue hasn't been in the public debate so they had no choice.  It should all be thrown out since legislatures and Congress have debated it endlessly for decades and it has been rejected (so far).

"But it was necessary because the government didn't do what WE want!"