Author Topic: Help me remember a toy from the 80's: a book with built-in records on each page  (Read 2099 times)

Snowdog

• friend
When I was a kid, I had this book (several actually) that had on some or perhaps each page a record.  One would have to place a reading device ever-so-carefully on this record, that was permanently attached to the pages and it would play it by having a needle rotate around the record (rather than a record rotating around a needle). 

After time, the pages and/or records would warp and this would become evident when trying to play them.

Does anyone remember such a toy, perhaps from the early 80's?

T.O.M.

• friend
I remember those.  I was too old to have any of them, but I remember seeing those around my father's school (he was an elementary school principal).  Can't think of the name...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend

Fly320s

• friend

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Wow.  Never heard of this, despite having two boys who span that time period.

Per Fly320s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYR8iLxEjU

I'm amazed at how good the sound quality was.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:13:50 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Nope. I do recall having the Charlie Brown Christmas book, with the little record that came along with it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Snowdog

• friend
Fly320s, you hit the nail on the head!  Those were they.  I believe they were the Fisher Price version as it was around '83 or so when I was a little tyke.

Thanks for finding that!  I had Googled for quite some time and found nothing.   

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Nope. I do recall having the Charlie Brown Christmas book, with the little record that came along with it.

We had quite a few books like that in the early 80s. The record read the book to you with music and sound effects.

We had several of these. https://doyouremember.com/24290/24290
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Wow.  Never heard of this, despite having two boys who span that time period.

Per Fly320s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYR8iLxEjU

I'm amazed at how good the sound quality was.

Neighbor kids had those, I remember them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
We had quite a few books like that in the early 80s. The record read the book to you with music and sound effects.

We had several of these. https://doyouremember.com/24290/24290

I believe you could get some of them in happy meals. I remember collecting the Gremlins books as a child.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
I believe you could get some of them in happy meals. I remember collecting the Gremlins books as a child.

Now I do recall that. A few other movies too, ET I think too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Now I do recall that. A few other movies too, ET I think too.

Apparently (after looking them up) the Gremlins ones came from Hardees, not McDonalds.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.

Back in the day Disney released LP records as condensed, narrated versions of the movies. I pretty much wore out my parents' copy of The Absent-Minded Professor. If memory serves, Sterling Holloway was the narrator.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Apparently (after looking them up) the Gremlins ones came from Hardees, not McDonalds.

Was your Hardee's an old Sandy's first?

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Was your Hardee's an old Sandy's first?

I had to confirm with my parents, (the memory is hazy, given how young I was when it opened) but the Hardees was opened as a Hardees. It tore down a fruit and vegetable stand/store to build.

I think we already had a Dairy Queen and a KFC at that time. Interestingly, all the town has now (in the way of fast food) is McD's and Hardees. KFC and Dairy Queen both closed down.

(There's a Subway, too, but who goes to Subway?)

Snowdog

• friend

I vaguely remember those too, or something along those lines.  If it's what I'm thinking of, they were made of paper (or otherwise very easy to bend).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
I had to confirm with my parents, (the memory is hazy, given how young I was when it opened) but the Hardees was opened as a Hardees. It tore down a fruit and vegetable stand/store to build.

I think we already had a Dairy Queen and a KFC at that time. Interestingly, all the town has now (in the way of fast food) is McD's and Hardees. KFC and Dairy Queen both closed down.

(There's a Subway, too, but who goes to Subway?)

What is your hometown?

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
I vaguely remember those too, or something along those lines.  If it's what I'm thinking of, they were made of paper (or otherwise very easy to bend).

Are you thinking of the thin plastic 45s that could be found in magazines? The ones I remember with the happy meals, were a vinyl record.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Snowdog

• friend
It could have been.  The 80's seem so long ago.  I remember we didn't have much luck playing it.