Author Topic: A GoFundMe Scam  (Read 731 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
A GoFundMe Scam
« on: November 15, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »
So I read about this story back when it first came out. First I figured the homeless guy was lying and ungrateful. Then later I was kinda questioning the couple. I couldn't make up my mind.

Good reason I guess, since it appears all three of them are guilty.  :laugh:

I laugh in one respect, but in the other, they all took advantage of the good in people, so I hope they get an appropriate punishment if found guilty.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/homeless-man-couple-allegedly-conspired-to-deceive-donors-of-400g-gofundme-campaign-funds-report
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: A GoFundMe Scam
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
So I read about this story back when it first came out. First I figured the homeless guy was lying and ungrateful. Then later I was kinda questioning the couple. I couldn't make up my mind.

Good reason I guess, since it appears all three of them are guilty.  :laugh:

I laugh in one respect, but in the other, they all took advantage of the good in people, so I hope they get an appropriate punishment if found guilty.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/homeless-man-couple-allegedly-conspired-to-deceive-donors-of-400g-gofundme-campaign-funds-report

Reading the story, I'm reminded that there's a reason most people are homeless and dropping 400K on them is unlikely to remedy those reasons.

Additionally, I'm reminded that people are awful, no matter what the circumstance they are in.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
In an ideal world, all three of them would have adjoining cells in prison.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »
I must admire the couple for helping a homeless man find food and lodging.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
I must admire the couple for helping a homeless man find food and lodging.

At quite a sacrifice to themselves! They gave up their jobs and their own home to do it!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »
"So I read about this story back when it first came out. First I figured the homeless guy was lying and ungrateful. Then later I was kinda questioning the couple. I couldn't make up my mind."

First thing that popped into my mind was that it was a scam on all fronts. Something just didn't ring true with me from anyone involved.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
I remember the story from when it broke, and I recall thinking it was uncharacteristic for a homeless guy to give away $20.

I guess I should trust my instincts. So then they turned on each other. Perfect. Just what happens when scammers collide.

Reminds me of a lawsuit in which I was an expert witness (over alleged -- and real -- construction defects). The judge awarded my clients (the homeowners) $30,000.01 for the losses they claimed to have incurred. The judge then awarded the contractor $30,000.00 on his counter-claim. My clients then stiffed me on my fee because my testimony didn't win the case for them. I had to take them to small claims court to get paid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
Surprise, surprise -- they're all turning on one another. First the homeless guy sued the couple because they weren't giving him "his share." Now the woman is claiming that her now-ex-boyfriend and the homeless guy set her up.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-in-alleged-gofundme-scam-claims-she-was-set-up-by-boyfriend-homeless-man?intcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obnetwork

Hollywood needs to fire all the screenplay writers and just start reading the news.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design