Author Topic: 2018 version of the search for a good coffee brewer  (Read 2459 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
2018 version of the search for a good coffee brewer
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
Since we were just talking about storing coffee, I thought I would share my experience in buying a new auto drip maker.  So this is how a chemist/home roaster/coffee aficionado did it.  

I have been roasting my own beans since the 1990's, have a Pasquini Livia 90 and Rocky Rancilio for espresso, several presses and a Chemex for pour-over. For the workday mornings when we have to get out the door, I have been using a Capresso MT-500 which was on its last legs. I decided another auto drip was in order. I reviewed all the current high-end makers, but insisted on something with a thermal carafe, brewing temp of 200-205 degrees as per SCAA standards, pre-infusion, made more than 40 ounces of coffee and could brew with a push of a single button, since my wife does not like to fuss with the coffee maker.

My research led me to this machine: the Zojirushi EC-YTC-100 (https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/ecytc). I also looked at the Technivorm, Brazen, Cuisinart, Capresso, Breville and Bonavita offerings. I have had the Zojirushi for three months now. So far, it has been excellent. I measure the temp in the carafe at 188 degrees and in the coffee ground bed at 200-202 degrees during brewing and the coffee tastes excellent. I brew using the 'time-saver' option and a full pot of 50 ounces takes about 7-8 minutes to brew when I am using 105 degree water from the tap. When I am using 50 degree water from the tap straight from the well, the time-saver brew cycle takes around 11 minutes.  I use the time-saver option since it has pre-infusion of the coffee bed before starting the brew process. SCAA standards call for a full pot to be brewed in 7-8 minutes so I get that time frame by using tepid water. The coffee is extracted very well without undue bitterness. I generally roast to a 'full city' or 'medium' (10-15 seconds into second crack) level so I don't roast out all the varietal character from the coffee.

The carafe keeps the coffee hot for at least four hours; we have always finished the coffee by this point. It uses a 8-12 cup flat basket and I use Melitta filters rather than the included permanent filter; my wife does not like fines/sludge in her coffee. I am especially impressed by the large showerhead which gives an excellent even brew over the coffee grounds. Clean-up is easy since the filter basket and water tank lift right out for cleaning and filling. It is constructed well and does not appear flimsy. I do a detail strip and handwash the water tank, lid, carafe, carafe lid, filter basket and filter basket holder and wipe down the showerhead every two weeks.  A clean coffee maker is essential to good coffee.

Note that if I was buying the coffee maker just for myself, I would have bought the Brazen because of the adjustability of the brewing process. But I knew my wife would never go for that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Re: 2018 version of the search for a good coffee brewer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
I use Trader Joe’s instant.  Comes in little sleeves with sugar and creamer already added.   Works ok with just hot tap water.   😜

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »
My 2018 brewing is more like 1918 brewing.  =D

I'm totally old school nowadays. When Keurigs first came out I dug them. The first one I ever saw was at the FBO where we parked our work plane and I thought that was just a cool invention. When they first hit Costco I bought one. Then I bought another. And another. I don't know how they are these days quality-wise, but they just broke on me way too much for such an expensive machine. Their one great strength, IMO, was for making a quick single cup for when I was in a hurry to get out the door or just wanted a single cup without the waste and clean up.

My brewing methods now (all under $20 per for equipment at  time of purchase) are:

French press (coarse grind the beans), for when I'm good with just a couple of cups, which is most mornings. Probably my overall preferred method.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Accents/dp/B00JFDHMPE/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

Percolator (coarse grind the beans), for guests or when I want more coffee. Despite the negative reviews among coffee aficionados, I find that when done right, a percolator can make a damn fine cup of coffee. The trick is to turn the heat down as soon as it starts percolating so that it's only percolating for the next 5-10 minutes (depending on the strength you want), not percolating AND boiling.
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Classic-Stainless-Yosemite-Percolator/dp/B00005NCWQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1542323215&sr=1-4&keywords=percolator

Lastly, cowboy coffee. The funny thing about cowboy coffee, is that using the Kent Rollins method (slightly modified to not boil as long) and plain old Folgers, this is the only coffee brewing method where I like to drink the coffee black. That is LIKE, vs CAN. I can drink black coffee with all the other methods, but I'd just as soon add a bit of cream and sugar with most of the fancy beans I use for them. Cowboy coffee the way I make it - It just tastes good to me black. While you do let the coffee come to a boil here, the trick again, is not over-boiling. It just comes to a rolling boil for a short time, then off the heat it goes. Wait a couple of minutes, then pour in some cold water to both drop the grounds and stop the extraction.
https://www.amazon.com/Granite-Ware-Coffee-Camping-Everyday/dp/B000RA3Z0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542323754&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboy+coffee+pot

Kent Rollins Cowboy Coffee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7Si7cp2jM

I'm sure reading this made Millcreek cringe.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
^^^Not so much cringe as gently twitch. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:47 PM »
My wife doesn't drink coffee so I make it one cup at a time with this. I bought mine 3 years ago, use it most days so far no issues and way cheaper than a Kuerig and I get to pick my coffee beans.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49981A-Coffee-Single/dp/B00EI7DPS0/ref=asc_df_B00EI7DPS0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144008776&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3175647726394905876&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017973&hvtargid=pla-275980526338&psc=1
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 05:18:06 AM »
Holy cow.

$8.95 unknown / unremembered Chinese brand, Wal-Mart.  Block and Dicker?

Been using it about four years.  Ish.

Two faults:

Quickly filling reservoir forces some water up the tubing and out the drip spout over the basket.  

Spout on carafe poorly designed. Fluids, hot, cold, coffee or water, "stick" to the spout and run back down the side of the carafe if you don't do it juuuust right.

Makes coffee pretty good, although at this altitude, it's hard to make lousy coffee anyhow.  200°ish F, and it cools off a bit shooting up the tubes.

I drink lots and lots of coffee, and frankly, getting too persnickety about it is not worth my time.  Don't get me wrong, I've had and can appreciate Ferrari coffee, but Ford will do fine for commuting.

I made arrangements for the distributor to grind up the coffee for me and put it in a specially designed tightly sealed transportation and storage container.  Doesn't cost me much.  Yeah, I know, flagrant cheapskate virtue signaling.

Used to use Maxwell house Master Blend, went to Maxwell House House Blend.

(Ah, spellcheck, same word twice in one sentence.  Up yours. :police: "Spellcheck is my worst enema.")

Terry

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:57:49 AM by 230RN »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 05:48:55 AM »
I had a capresso and it made good coffee but there was a part on the basket that kept breaking. They were A holes about it in CS. They replaced it once under warranty but wanted to charge me $89 for the next one. Wife bought a Bunn velocity brewer and it’s been ok.
We use a chemex or a single cup pour over quite a bit also and just use the instant piping hot water from the Bunn.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:48 AM »
My coffee maker was $15 from Target about 10 years ago. It's programmable with a 2 hour shut off. It does everything I want of it.

I thought it was on its way out a few months ago, but it seems to have rallied.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
"Used to use Maxwell house Master Blend, went to Maxwell House House Blend."

I, too, drink Maxwell House as my primary coffee. I like it. Always have.

I normally get the Master Blend, but when I can find it, I get the Smooth Bold. It is really good, but it's kind of hard to find at times.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 11:00:38 AM »
My coffee maker bit the dust three years ago.

I was using my camping kits French Press but tired of the cleanup.

In my camp kit I also had a Snowpeak stainless folding pour over brewer. https://www.rei.com/product/100184/snow-peak-folding-coffee-pour-over-brewer

I’ve been doing the pour over for almost a year now.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 11:16:50 AM »
"Used to use Maxwell house Master Blend, went to Maxwell House House Blend."

I, too, drink Maxwell House as my primary coffee. I like it. Always have.

I normally get the Master Blend, but when I can find it, I get the Smooth Bold. It is really good, but it's kind of hard to find at times.

I might try the Smooth Bold if I spot it next time I'm erranding.  I used to prefer Folger's but somehow after the New Orleans flooding, it wasn't as good. Can't put my finger on why.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
I have NEVER liked Folger's. Just tastes bad to me. My Grandfather didn't like it much, either, and as railroader he could pretty much drink anything.

His preferred coffees were Maxwell House, Hills Brothers, and Chase & Sanborn.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 06:48:21 AM »
I also have a programmable drip unit. Less than $10. Every now and then I think maybe I should upgraydd, but why?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
My coffee maker was $15 from Target about 10 years ago. It's programmable with a 2 hour shut off. It does everything I want of it.

I thought it was on its way out a few months ago, but it seems to have rallied.

So you shut it off and re-booted it, eh?

(1.  It's amazing how many things run better after an area power outage.)

(2.  Maxwell House Bold wasn't in the store yesterday.)

Terry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:17:27 AM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »
I use a stovetop drip coffee maker like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kitchen-Craft-Drip-press-stove-top-8-cup-Coffee-Maker-Pot-Made-in-USA/173619770723  I don't know why they call it a press in the description.  If I'm in a hurry I will use an electric kettle to boil the water, but generally I boil the water in the coffee pot.  Then quickly pour it into the filter, put the filter on top of the pot before it starts to drip, and then put the lid on the filter chamber.  (make sure the lid is not still on the bottom pot when start pouring the boiling water)

I really like the old Silex vacuum coffee pots made of glass, but I'm sure I would break one.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 08:18:09 AM »
"So you shut it off and re-booted it, eh?"

No, I think one of the buttons was sticking a little bit.

It was also taking a lot longer to brew, so I gave it a 24 hours white vinegar soak, and that really seemed to help things along a lot.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
My daily brew is Nescafe. I actually like it quite a bit, and I never end up wasting coffee or deciding against a cup when I want one because I don't feel like brewing it.

When I do brew, my usual go to is Eight O'clock coffee or Maxwell House as a distant second in some programmable cheap Walmart coffee maker, black and decker I think. Folgers is the coffee devil.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
I recently got a bag of 8 O'Clock. That was also one of my Grandfather's go-to coffees. I've always liked it, but this bag I didn't care for. It was regular roast, but it had a distinct burnt caramel taste to it that I just didn't take to.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
I recently got a bag of 8 O'Clock. That was also one of my Grandfather's go-to coffees. I've always liked it, but this bag I didn't care for. It was regular roast, but it had a distinct burnt caramel taste to it that I just didn't take to.

8 o’clock was my go to for many years. I also revisited it a while ago and like you was, meh.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: 2018 version of the search for a good coffee brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »
Interesting I've never caught that. Maybe a bad or mishandled batch? Or it could be the blend just went to hell,I haven't had their original in awhile as I usually get their Columbian peaks blend.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
Re: Re: 2018 version of the search for a good coffee brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Interesting I've never caught that. Maybe a bad or mishandled batch? Or it could be the blend just went to hell,I haven't had their original in awhile as I usually get their Columbian peaks blend.

I was thinking that with the boutique coffee craze going on the batch I got was just old due to it not selling as fast.