Author Topic: Secure handgun storage in the car  (Read 483 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Secure handgun storage in the car
« on: November 16, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »
For years, I have used a combination lock box under the front seat of my car for handgun storage.  It is like the item below:

https://www.amazon.com/Champs-Combination-Lock-box-Jewelry-X-Large/dp/B07CW9BN6L/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542396154&sr=8-4&keywords=combination+lock+box+car

When I bought the 2016 Toyota Tacoma, the front seats sit very low to the floor. The box which used to easily slide under the front seat of my Ford Escape, is now partially wedged under the Tacoma seat and will not easily slide all the way underneath.

I recently became aware of the concepts of lockable bags, and was looking at

the Pacsafe:  https://www.amazon.com/PacSafe-Travelsafe-Anti-Theft-Portable-Safe-Black/dp/B079Y7BZW6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542396418&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=locking+bag+travel&psc=1

and the Loctote: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FF7LRX6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FF7LRX6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=21517efd-b385-405b-a405-9a37af61b5b4&pd_rd_wg=Kxc8r&pf_rd_r=PB1WNHJRCWE9M79K6ZCP&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=eR5bG&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=a0072a41-e9d5-11e8-93f7-555294ed87de

My idea was that I would wrap the locking cable around the front seat bracket.  Being a bag, it should fit easily under the seat.  I ended up going with the Pacsafe because it was a little larger and it has a long enough locking cable that I should be able to grab it, pull it up into my lap and unlock it easily.  It should be arriving in a few days so I will report back.  I have read several reviews of both items in which they swear by them as a travel safe for cameras, electronics and the like. You can cut the locking cable with bolt cutters, but just as with the combination handgun safe, I am most interested in deterring the typical smash and grab car prowls that occur in this area.  You apparently cannot cut the bag open, at least not very easily.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Secure handgun storage in the car
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
An additional level of protection:  Junky old vehicle.  I remember when I lived in the barrio on Osage Street in Denver, a series of vehicle break-ins occurred down the whole block.  My funky gunky rusty dusty dented bented old pickemup truck sitting out there was not touched.

Urban camouflage.

After that, I often joked that I could leave a bunch of Krugerrands on the seat of that truck and nobody would notice them.

Terry

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »
I have been studying up on physical security, and watching a bunch of talks and demonstrations that were filmed at various DEFOCN's.  They are depressing.

TL:DR is that neither of those is "secure" to anything more then the most casual smash and grab, homeless guy with a rock type robber.  I have managed to take and open one of those PacSafe bags (or one very similar) with my Leatherman.  It took me less than 30 sec to cut the cable after a friend bet me. It's a shame RevDisk isn't still around as he always had good ideas.

It seems like if you want anything that would secure* a firearm in a vehicle against a long screwdriver or more complicated attack, you need to spend pretty decent money.

Something like this is still defeatable, but you might actually have a chance of keeping whatever is in it.

*If you aren't really worried about security, but have to conform to some kind of "locked" local law, they work very well

ETA:
Just noticed this on the PacSafe Amazon page:
Included with the travel safe is the pro safe 1000 TSA approved travel lock

So not a lock then.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
I just throw mine on the hood of my car with a sign that says "Go ahead. I *expletive deleted*ing DARE you..."

I lock it in my glove box.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
^^^When it arrives and I get a sense of the size of the cable and hasp, I will probably go to Lowe's and get a better combination lock that will fit.

PS: I have no illusions about my current metal combination car safe.  I have read lots of stories about the lock succumbing to a good pry with a screwdriver.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 04:57:45 PM »
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Console-Vault/746918.uts

I had one like this in my F-150.  I guess I still have it, but not the F-150.  Works pretty good.  It would take a little effort to get into it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge