Author Topic: Some people  (Read 440 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Some people
« on: November 17, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
I hate people.
Two weeks ago I listed an old Dell Optiplex 320 desktop computer for sale. It sold almost immediately, but I was slow deleting the ad. Yesterday I had a response from someone who was interested. I replied that it had been sold and I had neglected to delete the ad.

They replied by asking if I had any other computers for sale, since their computer had died. I told them I would consider selling a Dell Optiplex 380 (which is a more powerful model than the Optiplex 320), but that it wouldn't include a flat screen monitor. The 320 had Windows 7 -- the 380 has been upgraded to Windows 10, has a faster and better CPU, and has a larger hard drive. My price is $125.

This morning I found an e-mail asking if I would take something like an old notebook computer as a swap. They are short of cash because the husband spent a lot of money on snowmobile fixer-uppers and they haven't sold.

Not my problem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Some people
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »
I sold my Galaxy S8+ and I had people wanting to trade shitty old phones for it, wanting to make payments, offer me $150 for it, etc. None of them had cash yet every one insisted they “needed” it. I had one woman who pitched a tantrum in her messages because I wouldn’t take her shitty lowball offer
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
I stopped even trying to be nice when it comes to idiot Craigslist buyers. If the act like a reasonable human being, I'll reciprocate. If not, screw 'em.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:36:53 PM »
Everybody is a scammer today -- even the .gov.

A couple of years ago I ran into a retired building inspector friend at an in-service training class. (Required in my state, and this guy needed the hours because he wanted to keep his license current.) He mentioned that his home town was looking for a part-time plan reviewer, and he sent me the ad. I applied, they invited me in for an interview, and a couple of days later I received an e-mail offering me the job.

BUT ... it wasn't a "job." They wanted to hire me as a consultant. Which would have meant that if I was sued for anything that arose out of doing the job, the municipality wouldn't cover me. I explained this to them, so they countered with, "Okay, we'll make you an employee but then we have to pay you $x less per hour. We hope this is acceptable, We're looking forward to having you work with us."

I informed them that this was NOT acceptable, and I never heard back from them. I have heard from other building inspector friends that a lot of towns seem to be switching to making their building inspectors into part-time, no benefits positions. Then they wonder why buildings fall down.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design