Author Topic: Call me insensitive, but...  (Read 4618 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Call me insensitive, but...
« on: February 01, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
I hate February.  For the next 28 days, we're forced to endure a steady bombardment of over-the-top praise for every marginally relevant black man or woman who ever graced us with his/her existence.  It's time for Black History Month (where's the barf smiley when you need him?)

I don't have a problem recognizing people for great achievements.  I don't care if they're black, white, or purple.  But this Black History Month exists solely for the purpose of dredging up every two-bit, almost noteworthy historical Black man/woman who ever lived, and heaping scads of praise and adulation on his or her "great achievement." 

That it's a scam should be self-evident.  If these so-called "great Americans" and their so-called "great achievements" really were great, then we wouldn't need a special month to highlight them.  They'd be celebrated without imposing a special scam-month upon the population, because they really are that noteworthy.

As evidence, I cite this "Black History Quiz", prominently highlighted as the marquee story on Yahoo's main page:
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/60468/the-buzz-black-history-quiz

In it, the reader is probed about his knowledge of such notable African Americans as (drum roll...) Bessie Coleman, Athena Gibson, Romare Beardon, Jacob Lawrence...  Raise your hand if you know anything about any of these people.  I'm sure they were all nice people and I don't mean to disparage any of them.  But let's be honest, do any of them deserve major public celebration?

There are black people worth celebrating.  No Black History Month is necessary to tell everyone how great an American Martin Luther King Jr was.  The relevance of his achievements and contributions are self evident.  Thurgood Marshall and George Washington Carver are familiar names to anyone who's been educated, not because of some phony Black History Month, but because these men and their achievements really are worth remembering.

Sorry for being a grump, but I really hate this sort of social propaganda.  I ditched my TV especially so I could avoid this tripe, yet I'm still not able to escape it.  This is only day one, and already its managed to penetrate into my life.   undecided

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Call me insensitive...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »
Don't call me, Headless One.  I'm already right there with you.  Pass the air sickness bags, please. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Twycross

• friend
Re: Call me insensitive, but...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:10:34 PM »
I'll respect black history month when we have white history month. No, wait. Then I'll just have two months to dislike.  undecided

Ever find it ironic that the modern-day champions of 'tolerance and diversity' still can't get past judging people by their skin color?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »
I'll respect black history month when we have white history month. No, wait. Then I'll just have two months to dislike.  undecided

Ever find it ironic that the modern-day champions of 'tolerance and diversity' still can't get past judging people by their skin color?

Yes.  Yes I have.  Every time I hear that Condoleeza Rice isn't Black and "doesn't represent us." 

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
Ditto the barf icon. This crap has made me sick since I was a wee lad. Where's white history month? Or 'asian-american' history month? Do you want an award because of your skin color? Super duper, here's an "I try my best!" ribbon. Wear it with pride. 

Make an objective change or contribution and I'll be first in line to give it a word of praise, be they a white guy or a purple woman with a conjoined fetus attached to her head.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »
Just one example of overcompensation: liberal "white guilt" on the one side, and a horrible deeply-rooted black inferiority complex on the other. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Have you also noticed how they sneak in the occasional black person in medieval movies, especially directed to kids? Let's sacrifice common sense at the altar of raised "inclusiveness coefficient".

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
Geezzz.... Whats with all you guys wearing bed sheets as dresses and pillow cases on your heads? : neener :

It's time for Black History Month...

It is?  Wow, I had not noticed.  February for me is when I start checking out the buds on the trees for signs of activity, and making plans for the years garden.  Two years ago it was wildflowers.  Last year was psychoatives.  I think I may try heirloom veggies this year.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Strings

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 10:57:15 PM »
ok, you're insensitive. Do I win a cupie doll?

You're also correct: some in society seem REALLY eager to plant people in pidgeon holes, neatly categorizing them. I asked a liberal once if maybe we should all get a code tattooed on our arms, that lets people know what "hole" we fit in. I could be a 5-2-4-6-00 (white-male-pagan-gun owning-libertarian). The we could just congregate with our own "types"...

Needless to say, the aforementioned lib was NOT happy with the suggestion...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 02:41:08 AM »
You're obviously a racist.

If they're really going to celebrate something, why not Black Achievement Month, highlighting individuals who rose above circumstance to make great achievements.  And it is true that prior to the 1960s Blacks had a difficult time because of institionalized racism.
Of course if anyone did that, it would tend to discredit the idea that "black people dont have a chance in this country", which is the bedrock of current liberalism.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:02 AM »
On the proverbial "bright side," March is National Forest Products Month.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 04:16:17 AM »
On the proverbial "bright side," March is National Forest Products Month.

I didnt know forest products were a minority....

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 05:04:21 AM »
Of course they are, Rabbi.  Don't you know Haliburton's cutting down all the trees? 

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 05:12:49 AM »
Of course they are, Rabbi.  Don't you know Haliburton's cutting down all the trees? 
Of course.  Halliburton is owned by Dick Cheney and he is trying to eliminate trees and just leave Bushes.  It's all Bush's fault.

Strings

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 05:30:02 AM »
ummm... April is Child Abuse Awareness month...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 05:51:21 AM »
I disagree with all of you.  I hate purple people.  Power to the one eyed, one horned, flying purple-people eaters.  May they all be eaten.   cheesy

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Wait a minute?  Purple people?  You gotta draw the line somewhere.  SCREW purple people.
Unless they're suffocating, then help them.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 09:13:43 AM »
I'll be celebrating gun month.  For some reason, February seems to be the month in which I do most of my non-hunting, recreational shooting.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 10:28:24 AM »
I agree with the OP 100%. I think one of the biggest sources of racism today comes from the public education system. Beating the virtues of one race over another into students heads for an entire month does no good in the end and likely causes resentment. IMO there should be no black history month,NAACP,black only colleges or any other race based organization. People are people and should be judged/treated according to their merits not skin color.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
I dont have a problem with Black-only colleges (as long as they arent getting gov't support).
But I agree that a lot of "racism" is perpetuated by people with a stake in seeing it perpetuated.  I'd like to see states and Fed gov't stop asking for racial classifications on docs.  I see that on the Form 4473 and it drives me nuts: what darn difference does it make what color the buyer is?  You can't even opt out of it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »

I disagree with all of you.  I hate purple people.  Power to the one eyed, one horned, flying purple-people eaters.  May they all be eaten.

Maybe they only need one of Jeremiah Peabody's Polyunsaturated Quick-Dissolving Fast-Acting Pleasant-Tasting Green and Purple Pills.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
I dont have a problem with Black-only colleges (as long as they arent getting gov't support).
But I agree that a lot of "racism" is perpetuated by people with a stake in seeing it perpetuated.  I'd like to see states and Fed gov't stop asking for racial classifications on docs.  I see that on the Form 4473 and it drives me nuts: what darn difference does it make what color the buyer is?  You can't even opt out of it.

We have to collect race and sex data on mortgage loan applications so that the .gov can make sure we are not being discriminate in our lending.  But giving us the information is voluntary.

The punchline?

If they won't tell me, I have to, based solely on appearance and last name... guess what they are.  rolleyes

I'm so glad the government collects information so scientifically.  undecided
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »
I see that on the Form 4473 and it drives me nuts: what darn difference does it make what color the buyer is?

Well, if there was another "The Rabbi" who was black and a convicted felon, you might not want to be confused with him. rolleyes

(I've seen your picture and I know you're not black)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slzy

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »
i am not making this up: there once was a black history poster that proclaimed Beethoven was black. even the black folks got a kick outta that.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
My dad once received a Bible as a door prize for a (union) meeting he attended. It had a Bright red leather cover. Being a conservative (but not politically) Baptist, he thought red a bit over the top for a Bible cover. He asked if he could instead get a black one.

A week or so later, a package arrived at home. Inside was a bright red Bible. Inside that, though, were illustrations of black (as in Negroid) characters. Who'd a' thunk? I didn't know the middle east was populated by blacks.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 12:20:49 PM »
Maybe they only need one of Jeremiah Peabody's Polyunsaturated Quick-Dissolving Fast-Acting Pleasant-Tasting Green and Purple Pills.

Oh, shoot.  Ray Stevens?   undecided 

That Black Jesus stuff is really sad.  My biggest problem with it is that Christians pushing that sort of thing are really eroding the idea of a real, historical Jesus.  If He is a real person, then He looked like the real Jews from which He descended.  If he's just a concept or a legend then, sure, you can paint him any color you like.