Author Topic: Why I don't have a facebook account ... #4,387  (Read 2320 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why I don't have a facebook account ... #4,387
« on: November 25, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6426219/Parliament-seizes-Facebook-internal-papers-Mark-Zuckerbergs-refusal-answer-questions.html
It was initially estimated that the firm was able to mine the information of 55 million Facebook users even though just 270,000 people gave them permission to do so.

But Facebook later since revealed the number was actually as high as 87 million.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Why I don't have a facebook account ... #4,387
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:53:06 AM »
I prefer being anomalous.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »
Makes me wonder if that executive carried that data with him over there for the purpose of allowing them to seize it. 

They mention Cambridge Analytica getting Facebook data.  When all that came out, I remember hearing that multiple companies and organizations were using the same loopholes to mine data.  I heard the Obama campaign groups were given very wide open access.  No one mentioned that.  Cambridge Analytica became the focus since they did analysis for "conservatives". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me what some people post on social media.  For me, social media is where I post information to friends and family is already public, or I want to be public.  I work from the assumption that it already is being mined.  Wanna mine my data from social media?  Knock yourself out.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:12 AM »
I prefer being anomalous.

You're doing a bang-up job.  =D :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 06:21:22 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me what some people post on social media.  For me, social media is where I post information to friends and family is already public, or I want to be public.  I work from the assumption that it already is being mined.  Wanna mine my data from social media?  Knock yourself out.

I'm of like mind with FB/Social Media.  It's a diversion and an opportunity be just weird.  For example, I kicked off the Holiday image set this year with the following image, reminding folks that Santa is coming.  >:D

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 11:45:34 PM »
i love/hate fakebook.
it certainly has destroyed the anonymity of the internet but it gave my mom easy platform to share with family before she died
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »
Report: FTC approves roughly $5B fine for Facebook
https://www.wave3.com/2019/07/12/report-ftc-approves-roughly-b-fine-facebook/

If you have access to the WSJ

FTC Approves Roughly $5 Billion Facebook Settlement
FTC commissioners broke along party lines, 3-2, with the Republican majority lining up to support the pact while Democratic commissioners objected
https://www.wsj.com/articles/ftc-approves-roughly-5-billion-facebook-settlement-11562960538
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
I bet you don't  have a bank account, either?

https://www.today.com/popculture/identity-theft-your-trash-their-treasure-wbna27011491

:old: :old: :old:

What is your preferred social media platform? Grindr?  :rofl: :rofl:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:32 PM »
I bet you don't  have a bank account, either?

https://www.today.com/popculture/identity-theft-your-trash-their-treasure-wbna27011491

I do have a bank account. I'm very conscious of the possibility of dumpster diving, but to dive for my sensitive documents a thief would have to break into my house.

:old: :old: :old:

I think I have acknowledged that on more than one occasion.

What is your preferred social media platform? Grindr?  :rofl: :rofl:

Depending on how loosely you define "social media," the answer is either none (which is the answer I usually give), or (may God forgive me) this place.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:03:57 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Yet again I'm perfectly content having no social media presence. 

You lot don't  count  :P.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 10:42:38 PM »
i now regret all the stuff i posted in the past.
people are abysmally stupid.
I tried having two profiles but FB facial recognition etc .
its messed up a lot of stuff for me-but now i am totally used to it as a vehicle for communication with my wide circle of friends/acquaintances
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »
As with many other things, it is what you make of it.

So their giving big companies and corporations data?

OMG!! THE HORROR! EVIL CORPORATIONS ARE GOING TO USE MY INFORMATION TO TRY TO SELL ME STUFF!!!11 Being in cahoots with political groups is a little more annoying, but still...

Anonymity in the digital age is going the way of the dodo bird and our concept of privacy isn't going to last either. IMHO, avoidance is going to make it worse. If you aren't using it, someone else might be. I think you're better off if you are in a position to at least manage the information connected to yourself, which means using the platforms.

And, for the record, this is already a problem with businesses. Google, Yelp and others automatically put up profiles for any and all business listings they can get there hands on. Katie has had a hell of a time with Yelp and Facebook, and Google has our business hours listed wrong which has caused several stinks with clients. She can't delete the accounts so the best she can do is manage them, which is a headache, but has to be done.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 12:18:40 PM »
As with many other things, it is what you make of it.

So their giving big companies and corporations data?

OMG!! THE HORROR! EVIL CORPORATIONS ARE GOING TO USE MY INFORMATION TO TRY TO SELL ME STUFF!!!11 Being in cahoots with political groups is a little more annoying, but still...

Anonymity in the digital age is going the way of the dodo bird and our concept of privacy isn't going to last either. IMHO, avoidance is going to make it worse. If you aren't using it, someone else might be. I think you're better off if you are in a position to at least manage the information connected to yourself, which means using the platforms.

And, for the record, this is already a problem with businesses. Google, Yelp and others automatically put up profiles for any and all business listings they can get there hands on. Katie has had a hell of a time with Yelp and Facebook, and Google has our business hours listed wrong which has caused several stinks with clients. She can't delete the accounts so the best she can do is manage them, which is a headache, but has to be done.

You can still control a LOT especially in your home.  Do you have an Alexa?  Do you think it only listens to what you say after you say it's name?  Really?  Even if Amazon.....or Whatever.Com ISN'T listening now, how about tomorrow?

Some new tv sets "look in" on people too.  Got your brand new superdigimatic flatscreen hooked to the Internet for streaming?

[tinfoil]

Okay....maybe today it is tinfoil hat stuff.  What about tomorrow? ? ? ? ? ? ?   ??
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
Alexa isn't doing anything the AI assistant on your smartphone isn't doing.

Honestly,  once you normalize keeping a computer with audio-visual recording, GPS capability, and wireless data transmission in your pocket all the time, worrying about the privacy issues in your thermostat is kinda silly.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 12:32:57 PM »
You can still control a LOT especially in your home.  Do you have an Alexa?  Do you think it only listens to what you say after you say it's name?  Really?  Even if Amazon.....or Whatever.Com ISN'T listening now, how about tomorrow?

Some new tv sets "look in" on people too.  Got your brand new superdigimatic flatscreen hooked to the Internet for streaming?

[tinfoil]

Okay....maybe today it is tinfoil hat stuff.  What about tomorrow? ? ? ? ? ? ?   ??

That's not social media (and no, I will not be getting an Alexa and my TV is still pretty dumb)

But this is what I mean about control. You have to control what goes in and what goes out.

And while not the perfect example for what I'm trying to get at, this is almost there. I can keep Alexa out of my home, but Amazon is out there, regardless. If I don't maintain my account, what's to say someone doesn't use it or make one in my name? Ergo, I may not have Alexa, but I'm going to maintain that Amazon account. This example would be more on point if FB had an Alexa type thingy... Which I'm sure they'll get to eventually.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 12:33:22 PM »

Honestly,  once you normalize keeping a computer with audio-visual recording, GPS capability, and wireless data transmission in your pocket all the time, worrying about the privacy issues in your thermostat is kinda silly.

YEAH! What he said!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
Keep a public persona, let "the man" see it. If the need arises leave the cell phone and public persona at home and do what needs to be done.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 01:51:42 PM »
I do have a bank account. I'm very conscious of the possibility of dumpster diving, but to dive for my sensitive documents a thief would have to break into my house.
I have a pretty good shredder which reduces paper documents to pretty small pieces of confetti. I use it consistently, so a dumpster diver would have to work really, Really REALLY hard to piece any of my personal information together.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 01:52:50 PM »
Hah.  If you are on the internet at all, your privacy is long gone.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 02:20:02 PM »

Yup. I've been mulling an Alexa to use with home security, etc. I'm still not sure I want one, but I do realize that if Alexa were to monitor everything I said 24 hours a day, Amazon would still have about 10X less info on me than Google does because of my smartphone.

You can argue that makes it worse (and I often do), but still, if I'm using a smartphone, pretty much any other device is a good order of magnitude less intrusive than the phone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
It may well be just coincidence but on several occasions I have been having a conversation with some one and during the course of a discussion it was decided to "Google" something, usually something a little esoteric like a particular model sailboat or an actor in an obscure movie.
Pull out the trusty pocket spy and Google auto-completes what I'm searching for after the first couple of keystrokes.
 [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »
DuckDuckGo.com search engine, screw G00gl3!
Firefox Browser with "uBlock Origin" plugin.

As to internet, screw it. Been on it since the early eighties and done most EVERYTHING on it. I try most all the new technologies out and monitor MANY sites. With my past, I KNOW the FBI and God only knows who else has a file on me. So what. I stay JUST This side of the line.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
It may well be just coincidence but on several occasions I have been having a conversation with some one and during the course of a discussion it was decided to "Google" something, usually something a little esoteric like a particular model sailboat or an actor in an obscure movie.
Pull out the trusty pocket spy and Google auto-completes what I'm searching for after the first couple of keystrokes.
 [tinfoil]

It's not coincidence.

googleknowseverything" border="0

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 04:00:06 PM »
DuckDuckGo.com search engine, screw G00gl3!
Firefox Browser with "uBlock Origin" plugin.

As to internet, screw it. Been on it since the early eighties and done most EVERYTHING on it. I try most all the new technologies out and monitor MANY sites. With my past, I KNOW the FBI and God only knows who else has a file on me. So what. I stay JUST This side of the line.

I have long believed that if I am not on at least 1/2 a dozen "government lists" I ain't living right.

Samuel Adams