Author Topic: Bump stocks appear to be going bye-bye  (Read 4994 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Bump stocks appear to be going bye-bye
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »
I was busy being not-a-nerd.

It's all kinds of fun when you're military and poor,  if you have a decent group.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »
i read somewhere that NJ had made a law requiring they be turned in and no one did.
however, i have no problem believing no one in todays NJ knows what they even are.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 01:22:31 AM »
Winner winner.

Seriously,  none of you degenerates ever played D&D?

Roommate and I in college played Avalon Hill wargames.  Mostly Panzer Blitz and The Russian Campaign.   We also played AH Multi-player railroad with some female friends.  The names of the Games currently escape me.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
I betcha parts of FOPA get overturned before this is settled.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »
Hopefully the right parts.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2018, 10:46:23 PM »

i have a suspicion that trump plans to "lose" the inevitable court case and voila, more gun rights. 
if however, we end up with less rights after 4yrs of trump than i am done with the R party
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

slugcatcher

• friend

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »

What parts?

The law addressed 5 major areas:
- FFL inspection reforms
- New machine guns
- Safe passage
- Registry prohibition
- Prohibited Persons clarification

I don't think this case will help overturn the new machine gun ban.  I absolutely hope it does, but I won't hold my breath.  Maybe Trump, the NRA, GOA, and the lawyers, are playing the long game here and this is all the foundation to repel those bans.  Who knows?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
i have a suspicion that trump plans to "lose" the inevitable court case and voila, more gun rights. 
if however, we end up with less rights after 4yrs of trump than i am done with the R party

The GOP has presided over just as much gun legislation as the DNC in the last 30 years, and Trump isn't playing some long game to save our gun rights.  He's proven to be a reactionary dolt with no interest in saving our rights. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Trump isn't playing some long game to save our gun rights.  He's proven to be a reactionary dolt with no interest in saving our rights. 
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

ATF is asking people to make appointments to turn in their bump devices to an ATF office.

I think it'd be hilarious if people made a bunch of appointments to turn in belt loops and rubber bands and bits of string and such.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

The GOP has presided over just as much gun legislation as the DNC in the last 30 years, and Trump isn't playing some long game to save our gun rights.  He's proven to be a reactionary dolt with no interest in saving our rights. 

GOP =/= Trump

IMO, it is the NRA we should be dumping on more than Republicans.  It was La Pierre and Chris Cox who first went public about administratively banning bump stocks.  Republicans just went along with it since the NRA is supposed to represent gun owners.  I put Trump in that category as I think he is taking his lead on gun rights from them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »
Everything is a bargaining chip to one extent or another for Trump. 2nd amendment freedoms probably fall into that category also, up to a point.

There may not be multidimensional chess being played, but we certainly aren’t in on what the hell is really going on in the halls of power.

Bush was against nation building, Obama and Trump were going to wind down our Middle East wars.

Republicans voted to cancel Obamacare multiple times when it didn’t count then punted when they had power.

Something or someone(s) is more powerful than the will of the people in charting our course forward.

I don’t care a bit about bump stocks but if I had my way, that bargaining chip wouldn’t have been played.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
I personally think bump stocks are stupid and can actually be dangerous. They are even harder to control and keep on target than a firearm with a real happy switch. The couple times I tried one I found them difficult to make work and fire accurately. It’s hard to maintain a firm grip and stable firing position with them. I have a pretty good amount of experience with real full auto, I own a FA AR receiver, Uzi, Thompson and AC556.

I’m kind of ambivalent about them being legal or not, however this law by regulation thing is not constitutional and a very slippery slope. The ATF cannot be allowed to just make up laws. Their regulation contradicts the statute they are using to make the regulation. If Congress carefully wrote a law that outlawed them I’d dislike it, but not be as concerned. It would be safer to just allow new FA items to be registered to be honest though from my experiences with bump firing.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2018, 07:21:41 PM »
Reading that rule, I think they are in deep crap in court. They specifically use the phrase:

"as the result of a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that allows the firing of multiple rounds through a single pull of the trigger."

Seems like it would be pretty simple to put an AR w/ Slide Fire in a rest in the court room, pull the trigger and slide it into the stock, then let go......and wait for it to self act or self regulate.  They don't. If I didn't think the ATF was evil, I'd think they had written that rule so that it would be found illegal.

Also, FWIW, who ever wrote it seems to not have heard of binary triggers.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
Whoever wrote it might be perfectly aware of what they are doing.

Write the law and get it passed but have written it so that it can't survive a court challenge.

I've been thinking recently that the AWB was written in such a way that it was easy to discredit.

All that business about bayonet lugs and flash hiders and so forth made the bill very easy to ridicule and to show just how ignorant the anti-gun crowd is.

Was that by chance or were there politicians involved in the drafting of the bill, who knew that it was stupid but was going to pass regardless, used their promise to vote for it to have influence in the drafting stage? And made sure all that idiocy got into the bill so that when the sunset came the bill would be very difficult to defend because of all the negative publicity on the meaningless stuff?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 07:16:35 AM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
If however, we end up with less rights after 4yrs of trump then I am done with the R party

I also have that sweet golden dream... and that it ultimately leads to a reconsideration and overturning of The National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934.

Then I smell the coffee.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:35:17 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2018, 01:22:10 AM »
I'm thinking of starting "Terry's Leaky Boat Rental" business.

Holes in the bottom calibrated for the distance from shore that is required before the boat sinks.

Terry
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 02:14:02 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2018, 10:54:48 AM »
Everything is a bargaining chip to one extent or another for Trump. 2nd amendment freedoms probably fall into that category also, up to a point.

I'm afraid this is more truth than any of us may want to believe.  After a conversation with some insiders, it is my understanding that a new AWB was floated by the Trump administration, but the Dems weren't willing to cave on border security/immigration in trade for it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark