Author Topic: Pumpkin Soup  (Read 2271 times)

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Pumpkin Soup
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:46:54 PM »
I'm talking about Seminole Pumpkins. Native to the South, and they have been around forever. Indians were using them when Columbus discovered America. My son has them on his property. They are small, sweet, and have a very hard skin. I have two hack a big knife through them to split 'em.
They make the world's best pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. They also make a very good savory cream of pumpkin soup. This is the recipe I worked out.
Pumpkin Soup
Cream of Seminole Pumpkin Soup

One medium Seminole Pumpkin
Three leeks,  the white parts only
Three garlic cloves
Butter
One cup milk
Two tablespoons AP flour
Salt and White pepper
Nutmeg
Dill
Celery seed
Hot Hungarian Paprika.  Leave that out if you want.  I like it spicy,
Three cups Chicken stock

Cut the pumpkin into 8 pieces.  Scoop out the seeds.   Bring to a boil in plenty of water,  and then reduce the heat to medium and cook until tender.   Remove the Pumpkin pieces,  reserve the water.

Thinly slice the Leeks.   Dice the Garlic.  Sautee in Olive Oil and butter until tender

Put the Pumpkin flesh and Leeks/Garlic in the food processor.  Add a cup of  Chicken stock or pumpkin water and pulse until pureed.     Place puree into a large sauce pan,  add the rest of the Chicken stock.   Bring to a boil,  and reduce to simmer.

Make a roux with two tablespoons each  butter and  flour,  and one cup hot milk.   Add salt,  white pepper, and the seasonings,  mixing well as the roux thickens.   Add to the sauce pan,  and whisk as the soup cooks.   Thin with more of the pumpkin cooking water as needed. 

Check seasonings and adjust if needed.   Finish with a tablespoon or more of butter,  whisking that in well.

You can omit the Leeks and use a medium onion instead.  If you can't find a real Seminole Pumpkin,  use an Acorn or Butternut Squash instead.  Feel free to bake the Pumpkin of you want.  Cut the Pumpkin in half horizontally.  Scoop out the seeds and add some butter.  Bake at 350F until tender.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »
That looks really good, and as I got toward the end of the recipe, I was thinking 'what about roasting the pumpkin instead?', and I see that great minds think alike.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:20:29 AM »
Friends of mine used to grow Seminoles.

They are quite tasty. I never found them to be particularly challenging to crack; they respond well to a meat cleaver and mallet.

Hubbard squash, on the other hand, those things are bullet proof.

On the rare occasions when I cook hubbard squash I get my axe out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.