Author Topic: Basic question  (Read 3951 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Basic question
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:10:12 AM »
I goofed, big time. Hit the wrong button on the electric range, and turned the heat under an empty, aluminum, teflon-coated saucepan to high and then walked away for about half an hour. The pan didn't melt (to my amazement), but it obviously got very hot, and across much of the bottom (inside), the teflon is either discolored or gone.

I'm assuming that after having been burned the teflon is probably not in a condition that I would want it in contact with anything I'm going to eat. Does anyone know if it's safe to continue using a teflon utensil that has been seriously overheated?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Basic question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
I don't know for certain, but I bet that pan is ruined.  It is not worth trying to use it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:37:01 AM »
It is not safe.  If you had a bird in the house in close proximity to the fumes, it would be dead.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:51 AM »
Toss it, go buy a non Teflon, non stick pan.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:29 AM »
It's safe, but it's not recommended.

Good think you didn't have a bird in the home. Overheated teflon is HIGHLY toxic to birds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
Yeah, gone.

To slightly veer the thread, I have only one "non-stick" pan that I use on low heat for "sticky stuff" but haven't used it in probably two years. Seasoned cast iron or carbon steel are my go-tos for pretty much everything. Carbon steel is a great replacement for Teflon and other non-stick coated pans for skillet type uses. Much lighter than cast iron. I always do my morning eggs in my carbon steel pan. No sticky problems.

There's a little more care and maintenance involved, but they are lifetime cookware.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
My suspicions are confirmed. Thanks.

I have multiple cast iron frying pans, no problem there. But I don't have any cast iron saucepans. I do have some old (which means good, and not made in China) RevereWare stainless steel saucepans with copper bottoms. I guess I'll go back to using those.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:20:01 AM »
RevereWare stainless steel saucepans with copper bottoms. I guess I'll go back to using those.

That is what I have, one of my first adult purchases many years ago.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:33:52 AM »
I quit using my cast iron on my new stove after, despite being very careful, I scratched the hell out of the top.

I may polish the bottom of my cast iron smooth, but I have some really good stainless pans, so I'm not in all that much of a hurry to do so.

I have a few non-stick pans that I use mainly for eggs, but last year I bought a T-fal Professional pan. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GWK2X2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a non-stick, but with a bottom coating that allows the use of metal utensils. It's really quite nice. The only complaint I have about it is that it didn't come with a lid and it's an odd size (probably metric) so no lids I have fit it.

And, at $25 freaking bucks, it's a steal, really. It's also oven and dishwasher safe (although I won't put it in the dishwasher).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
I mainly use cast iron. I have both enamel coated and plain that are my go to pots and pans.

I also have a set of stainless steel that I was given when I went off to college. My wife mainly uses that.

ON that note. My wife, when we were first married, used the steamer without putting any water in the bottom. The stainless steel was BLACK with a brand from the coil electric burners that she had been using.

We actually didn't throw the pan out. (Why, I can't remember) and tried to clean it. (I'm guessing it was to convince my wife she didn't ruin the pan.) We didn't use it a lot... ok, at all for a while...

And it healed itself. 10 years later? There's the slight remnant of the "brand" from the coils. Otherwise, it looks the same as the other stainless pans. I was amazed when it "healed" itself.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »
ON that note. My wife, when we were first married, used the steamer without putting any water in the bottom. The stainless steel was BLACK with a brand from the coil electric burners that she had been using.

We actually didn't throw the pan out. (Why, I can't remember) and tried to clean it. (I'm guessing it was to convince my wife she didn't ruin the pan.) We didn't use it a lot... ok, at all for a while...

And it healed itself. 10 years later? There's the slight remnant of the "brand" from the coils. Otherwise, it looks the same as the other stainless pans. I was amazed when it "healed" itself.

I did that to a stainless steel stock pot a few years ago. I caught it well before a half hour had gone by, though. But it was still badly discolored. I scrubbed the bottom with a scoring powder called "Barkeeper's Friend," which I think is oxalic acid based. It cleaned it up very nicely.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
^^^Cameo stainless steel/aluminum cleaner is my go-to for cleaning tarnished or discolored stainless steel cookware with BKF running second. The Cameo active ingredient is sulfamic acid and I first started using it many years ago to clean my stainless steel homebrewing equipment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
Ha ha. About an hour after I  clicked on Mike's link, the Google spy program stuck this article in my newsfeed:

https://nypost.com/2018/12/05/nonstick-frying-pans-can-make-your-penis-smaller-study-says/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."