Author Topic: TENS Units?  (Read 2878 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
TENS Units?
« on: December 10, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
Anyone know anything about or have any experience with these TENS muscle stimulators? I see them popping up everywhere and am wondering if they are actually a benefical technology, a fad, or just bunk or what?

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/TENS-7000-Digital-Unit-accessories/dp/B00NCRE4GO/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1544460068&sr=1-4&keywords=tens
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: TENS Units?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
I used them when I was an athletic trainer in college. My friend the chiropractor also uses them, and I've been the recipient of tens treatment, as well. For muscular issues, they can really help.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
I used them when I was an athletic trainer in college. My friend the chiropractor also uses them, and I've been the recipient of tens treatment, as well. For muscular issues, they can really help.

I should add that my interest in them is right up that alley. I'm wondering if they really do help with speeding up healing when I do stupid stuff like strain a hamstring or whatnot.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
When I messed up my knee my physical therapist used one and said it helped break up scar tissue. I don't know if it actually worked that way, but that knee is now better than my other one.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
SWMBO uses one on her upper back and lower neck. Regular use really seems to help keep the stress-induced migraines at bay.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
My chiro friend says their basic method of operation is to make the muscles contract and relax to the point where they tire out and relax naturally.

At least I think that's what he said.

And, from being hooked up to one, that's certainly what it feels like.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »
Wonderful little gizmos.

One thing I'll point out is that different people seem to react wildly differently to the intensity settings. So start low and build it up based on your individual response to the impulses.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
The way I understand them is they use the Gate Control Theory for pain relief. With enough non-painful stimulation to the nerve fibers the "gate" closes preventing the pain impulse from reaching the central nervous system. The theory has been around since the mid sixties and it seems to work. Whenever I give an IM shot I will spend about 10 seconds or so producing pressure over the injection site with my finger before I stick the needle in. Through giving many, many shots and anecdotal evidence such as "wow, I didn't feel that" or other things like that I believe it *may* work. Of course that is only for the needle stick, it wears off quickly and the pain from introducing a foreign substance into the muscle may still cause discomfort. Although the TENS unit is now becoming available to the masses, for years it has been available as a prescription device as an adjunct to various other pain control methods.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:00:38 PM »
I've been the recipient of tens treatment, as well. For muscular issues, they can really help.

Same here, I have had them used on me for physical therapy following an injury. Does feel like a really deep massage, without all the pressure of hands. I may need to buy one too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
One thing I'll point out is that different people seem to react wildly differently to the intensity settings. So start low and build it up based on your individual response to the impulses.

Sometimes that's pad placement; I've had it going on my quads, couldn't feel much, decided to move the lower pad about an inch, and on the first pulse involuntarily kicked a chair hard enough to dislocate one of my tarsals.  Always turn it down before moving a pad and build back up to where you want it.

I do recommend https://www.tenspros.com/  The prices are quite reasonable, and my TwinStim III is still going strong after ~3 years of intermittent use and a couple dozen changes of pads.  (I don't use it on battery much, as I want to be sitting or laying comfortably anyway, and that's usually near an outlet.)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »
We have one and am getting a special variation of one that attaches to your earlobes to treat migraines!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
I had one used during physical therapy the last time I rolled my right ankle 21 years ago.  It did help with the nasty busing and made it possible for me to make the "Bhutan Death March" with just an ace bandage and ankle support into the wilderness that August.  Felt weird though.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
The Army-issued physical therapist used one on me when I injured my rectus femoris.  I'm a huge fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectus_femoris_muscle
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
I’m a big fan of TENS.

Been wondering about the home units myself.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:18 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O7CM12W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got this el cheapo one,  and it works well.  The only real expense is extra pads and the gel stuff to apply them.  after 2 years I've completely gotten my money's worth.  It's not the fancy unit my bonecracker has,  but works on my neck at home just fine.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
The Army-issued physical therapist used one on me when I injured my rectus femoris.  I'm a huge fan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectus_femoris_muscle

You wrecked your rectus?

Ouch...

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 12:49:24 PM »
"Rectum? Hell, it KILLED him!"
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
Exactly...

Exactly...

:rofl:

Speaking of rectums... less than a week until my steel eel!

Trust me, I'm not nearly as excited as it would appear...

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
Use a TENS unit on yer butt to relax it before hand...
MOLON LABE!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
Are they waterproof?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 08:07:06 AM »
Are they waterproof?

What? Rectums?

I hope so!  :rofl:

In general I'd have to say no because of all of the plug in points for the leads. They may be water resistant, but I sincerely doubt waterproof.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
1950s, My Pop had one of these for muscular aches and pains.  Ran off D-Cells in the main barrel.   He claimed it worked pretty good.

https://picclick.com/1919-QUACK-MEDICINE-ELECTREAT-MASSAGE-MACHINE-Antique-Vibrator-273398347776.html

The main thing it did was deliver a buzzer-generated electric shock to the affected area through the roller on top.  

The shock intensity was regulated by a slider control on the barrel of the thing.  There was a plug-in vibrator with a separate motor supplied by the batteries in the handle.  Intensity and frequency of the vibrator was regulated by the same slider control.

I played with it a lot, trying to see how intense a shock I could stand from hand to other hand.

One of these sold at a Gallery 63 auction, I think, for $300.  I wish Gallery 63 had a data base of their sale prices.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.gallery63.net

Pic credit in link
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:43:59 AM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
This came in the mail today, it is my Alpha-Stim M unit:

:old:

[attachment deleted by admin]
MOLON LABE!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »
I'm a big fan of mine.  It served me in the best way possible; not requiring me to keep using it.  Prior to the TENS introduction in a physical therapy treatment, my back had been going out once or twice a year several years running. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 08:29:12 AM »
Well, that's a lot of positive reviews. I've put one on my Christmas list.

I'm really surprised at how inexpensive most of them are. If you would have asked me to guess, I would have said "starting at $100."