Author Topic: Boy Scouts filing for bankruptcy?  (Read 2251 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Boy Scouts filing for bankruptcy?
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:20:56 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/boy-scouts-of-america-considers-bankruptcy-filing-amid-sex-abuse-lawsuits-11544649657

Is this just a potential tactic to protect their assets from the vultures?

Leftism destroys everything good.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Boy Scouts filing for bankruptcy?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
They are doing the same thing as have many Catholic dioceses and religious orders in recent years: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/catholic-dioceses-bankruptcy-filing-sparks-criticism-about-asset-shifting/

They are trying to reduce their financial liability for making payouts and preserve assets in order to go on as a functioning organization.  I don't think that child sex abuse and the subsequent financial penalties is a function of leftism, though.

The Catholic church gets the majority of the bad press on this issue, but as we have seen, it happens in many other religious and secular organizations.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 05:15:38 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »
Seemed inevitable once the Mormons decided to abandon ship.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 10:03:57 AM »
I heard this mentioned with the child sex stuff, but didn't they also bleed some money over the homosexual/trans issue with them being scout masters and leaders?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 10:38:15 AM »
The BSA we grew up with is long gone. It's sad to see it go out like this, but maybe it's time. One can always hope that this shakeup pushes BSA back to its core competencies, but I think that's a pipe dream in this day and age.

Brad
Eagle Scout
Order of the Arrow
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
I hate to see the leftists take over all the Scouts assets.

Guess it's a done deal.

They will parade around in the skin suit for awhile and eventually have to pull the plug do to low participation.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 08:52:46 AM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/boy-scouts-of-america-considers-bankruptcy-filing-amid-sex-abuse-lawsuits-11544649657

Is this just a potential tactic to protect their assets from the vultures?

Leftism destroys everything good.

You're kidding, right?
BSA has been repeatedly sued, and is being sued, for not reporting pedos in their ranks, and exposing boys to pedos without taking any real precautions. 
Leftists have nothing to do with this.
This door opened into 2007
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-scouts-lawsuit-opens-secret-files/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »
You're kidding, right?
BSA has been repeatedly sued, and is being sued, for not reporting pedos in their ranks, and exposing boys to pedos without taking any real precautions. 
Leftists have nothing to do with this.
This door opened into 2007
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-scouts-lawsuit-opens-secret-files/

Welcoming gay men and women into leadership and accepting girls into the organization is a bizarre response to the revelation of pederasty being covered up.

Lets make our group even more gay and feminine! It will be just fabulous 🌈

Instead of cleaning up the mess and trying to salvage the organization they guaranteed its demise.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:10 AM »
Welcoming gay men and women into leadership and accepting girls into the organization is a bizarre response to the revelation of pederasty being covered up.

Lets make our group even more gay and feminine! It will be just fabulous 🌈

Instead of cleaning up the mess and trying to salvage the organization they guaranteed its demise.

The left aren't the only ones willing to create narrative, eh?
The records go back long before the scouts allowed gays into the org.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
So Ron, you do realize that most pedophiles who target young boys are men who identify as straight.  There is data on this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 10:17:22 AM »
A few decades back, there were rumors about our new boss at work, about how he like little boys. He was a Boy scout leader and had they camping out at his family farm on a monthly basis, he also did some sort of weird Disney trip every year that involved a lot of boys. I didn't work for him long, as I despised him and found a new job.
About 7-8 years ago, he got busted at Disney for molesting boys in a bathroom. Not a single person who had worked with him or for him over the years was surprised.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 10:18:40 AM »
So Ron, you do realize that most pedophiles who target young boys are men who identify as straight.  There is data on this.

There are a lot of guys who identify as straight who cruise parks and truck stops for anonymous sex with other men as well. Just saying...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »
So Ron, you do realize that most pedophiles who target young boys are men who identify as straight.  There is data on this.
They might have to be careful doing that in Iowa.

Edit:  I thought the generally accepted party line in psychology is that fixated pedophiles are not properly straight/gay/bi as those terms imply an adult partner preference.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:42:20 AM by cordex »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »

Older homosexual men grooming young boys and young men is a historical reality that transcends cultures.

How many of the molested scouts are/were prepubescent. Is your data accurate when considering pederasts vs pedophiles?

Opening up the scouts to homosexuals is like pouring gasoline on the fire.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »
Back to the narrative.  Like a broken record.
JD

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
Back to the narrative.  Like a broken record.

It's pretty big of you to admit your slavish devotion to the modern narrative.

Maybe there is hope for you.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »

I'm sure there is.

There's also a concept in economics called "revealed preference". It suggests that what we SAY is less important than what we DO...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »
Just as an fyi...

Spoke with an adult troop leader of (an all girls troop) today. Most of his ladies are from scouting families. His daughter is a forestry student in college.

He felt pretty strongly that there won't be a dramatic impact at the local or even council level.

I guess the various councils are financially separate from the BSA finances.

Most of the big properties are protected by being in trust or are separate corporations.

That seemed to be the gist of it if not perfectly accurate.

That was a bit of good news.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...