Author Topic: Spiced ham glaze  (Read 4080 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Spiced ham glaze
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
2 cups brown sugar packed
1 cup pineapple jouce
1/4 teaspoon each of the following spices: cinnamon, ground clove, paprika, cumin, ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon of ground mustard

Wisk all ingredients together, wisk before applying glaze, if not the sugar does fall out of solution.

This is enough glaze for two, 4 lb picnic hams, and probably enough for a half shank ham.

I like to get my ham to somewhat room temp before cooking. Right before I cook, I skin off the rind, leave as much fat as possible (fat is flavor), score the surface in a cross pattern about a 1/4" deep. I can never get a rind to get crispy on a ham, so I skin it. I like to roast at 325F, I roast my ham for 30 minutes covered in foil with a 1/2" cup of pineapple juice in the pan. After 30 minutes I pull the ham out of the oven, remove the foil and brush on the glaze, return to the oven uncovered. I add glaze every 15 minutes until the ham is done temp wise. When close to done I pin on pineapple rings and maraschino cherries. When the ham is close to done I remove the ham from the pan, place in a foil lined different pan, turn the broiler on, layer a good glaze and broil for 5 minutes, glaze again and broil for another five minutes. Should have a good glazed crust and browning on the high points. I reserve about half the juice from initial roasting pan. Return the ham and juice to the initial pan and cover with foil and let rest for a while before serving. You will never have a dried out ham ever again.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:30:38 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Spiced ham glaze
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »
That's the exact recipe I have from Mom. Makes for a sinfully good ham.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM »
That's the exact recipe I have from Mom. Makes for a sinfully good ham.

Brad

No *expletive deleted*it? I made this one on my own, well the spice mix. Always been a 2:1 with brown sugar and pineapple juice.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:39:58 AM »
Yup. Same ingredients in the same amounts.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 01:42:33 AM »
I've made Alton Brown's City Ham a couple of times.  (yellow mustard, brown sugar, and crushed ginger snaps.)  I don't remember if AB's has any ground cloves, or if the ginger snaps cover for the cloves.

Yours has mustard, cloves, and brown sugar -- that's pretty much the essentials.   My mom used to use whole cloves, pineapple rings in heavy syrup, and mustard; and maraschino cherries, but the cherries were mainly just decorations.

The cumin is weird.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:11:57 AM »
"I don't remember if AB's has any ground cloves, or if the ginger snaps cover for the cloves."

Saw that one not too long ago... No cloves, but the last step is to spray the ginger snaps with bourbon.

https://www.recipe-diaries.com/alton-browns-city-ham/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »
No *expletive deleted*it? I made this one on my own, well the spice mix. Always been a 2:1 with brown sugar and pineapple juice.

I'm pretty sure that that recipe for the spice glaze is from the late 1940s or early 1950s and was a commercial recipe released by probably Dole or Del Monte to push their pineapple. Both of my Grandmothers had it, as well.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 07:33:10 AM »
I've made Alton Brown's City Ham a couple of times.  (yellow mustard, brown sugar, and crushed ginger snaps.)  I don't remember if AB's has any ground cloves, or if the ginger snaps cover for the cloves.

Yours has mustard, cloves, and brown sugar -- that's pretty much the essentials.   My mom used to use whole cloves, pineapple rings in heavy syrup, and mustard; and maraschino cherries, but the cherries were mainly just decorations.

The cumin is weird.

Cumin isn't weird for ham, popular spice back home for in ham rubs/glazes.

I also forgot the 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger I add. Your gingersnaps made me remember it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure that that recipe for the spice glaze is from the late 1940s or early 1950s and was a commercial recipe released by probably Dole or Del Monte to push their pineapple. Both of my Grandmothers had it, as well.

I was trying to go for that flavor, I remembered all the canned ham glazed pictures and recipes when I was a wee little squirt.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 07:36:01 AM »
I hate whole cloves on ham, they look pretty but you have pull them out as you eat the ham.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 07:59:46 AM »
"Cumin isn't weird for ham, popular spice back home for in ham rubs/glazes."

Definitely not weird for ham. Cumin works VERY well with ham.