Author Topic: Holy Hell! Mattis is Out  (Read 9188 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Holy Hell! Mattis is Out
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 06:04:55 PM »
Well *expletive deleted*ck

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:32:54 PM »
Hate to see this.  Those will be big shoes to fill.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
 :O
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
He "resigned."   Is it real or euphemism?   ??? 

I liked Mad Dog.   Methinks it be Trump who barked up the wrong tree ...... =(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
I suspect that, as a Marine general, Mattis probably has a low tolerance for rampant lunacy. Two years of serving under a loose cannon like Trump was probably all he could take.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
I suspect that, as a Marine general, Mattis probably has a low tolerance for rampant lunacy. Two years of serving under a loose cannon like Trump was probably all he could take.

I actually thought he showed great tolerance to this point, all things considered. However I think Trump has been listening to him less and less, and from the looks of the resignation letter, Syria was the straw that broke the Monk's back.

I only hope Trump has the good sense not to, in six months or so, do the same thing to Mattis that he did with Tillerson - i.e., "He's a moron and I know more about this stuff than any General!" Mattis, I think, was almost universally respected by everyone except the most far left SJWs. Going down the name-calling route with him will not get Trump the laughs he got with Omarosa and Scaramucci.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 07:29:49 PM »

*Sigh*  Other chiefs of staff have left after a few years as well .... although if Trump goes all Tillerson on him later that will be a horrible mistake ......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »

*Sigh*  Other chiefs of staff have left after a few years as well .... although if Trump goes all Tillerson on him later that will be a horrible mistake ......

Even Trump can't be that dense.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
Even Trump can't be that dense.

Every time I think that he takes it as a challenge....

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 08:21:06 PM »
Mattis is the one person in DC I trusted to know his job, to do that job, and to not be motivated primarily out of self interest.  Enjoy your retirement, General.  You've served with honor.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »

Mattis was Sec Def.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »
Every time I think that he takes it as a challenge....

That will be the end of his 2020 aspirations, if nothing else.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
Mad Dog 2020 time!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:07 PM »
Mad Dog 2020 time!

All I want for Christmas   :cool:

Also,  to quote Terminal Lance:

"As a general thing, I suppose it’s a good thing for the military as a whole to have a Secretary of Defense that is universally loved and adored across all ranks and rates. As far as the legends and memes go, those that have met the Honorable Secretary can attest that underneath all of the hype is a genuinely good, down to earth man that loves his Marines.

Also worth noting is that the 66 year old man likely doesn’t spend a lot of time shitposting on Facebook anyway.

He’s better off, really."

Godspeed,  Sir.  enjoy your retirement.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
Mattis was Sec Def.

I think he was referring to Trump trash talking about Tillerson after he left.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 09:43:35 PM »
Mattis did seem to be on board with Team America World Police.

It’s not outside the realm of possibility that he was on board with the GH Bush new world order.

No disrespect intended to him but if he is a neocon globalist at heart then it’s best he retire.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 11:43:32 PM »
Mattis was Sec Def.
You're right but they've come and gone in other administration's as well.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 11:54:07 PM »
Mattis did seem to be on board with Team America World Police.

It’s not outside the realm of possibility that he was on board with the GH Bush new world order.

No disrespect intended to him but if he is a neocon globalist at heart then it’s best he retire.

Really? Did you read his letter?

Like you, I have said from the beginning that the armed forces of the United States should not be the policeman of the world. Instead, we must use all tools of American power to provide for the common defense, including providing effective leadership to our alliances.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 05:31:35 AM »
Too many folks are jumping overboard from the SS Trump. I'm really beginning to believe he will be a one term President.  Assuming, of course, he survives the inevitable impeachment attempts next year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
It's like Trump has gone full 'tard this week.  Syria, caving in on the CR/Border Wall, firing Mattis.  He's taken his stupid pills for sure...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 08:02:23 AM »
The letter:

https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazonaws.com/client_files/1545345409.pdf

Most of the resignation letters so far have been short and to the point. Honor to serve, we accomplished a lot, MAGA etc.
Mattis actually has some things to say in his and he says them well.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
Really? Did you read his letter?

Our killing middle easterners across the whole region and breaking marginally functioning countries is part of our mutual defense? American defense or western allies defense? Defense from who?

The only country you can make a case for invading or breaking is Afghanistan.

How many countries are we killing people and breaking things in now, over the last decade?

Providing leadership to our allies? Why are we leading countries on the other side of the globe?

Typical politician speak, using themes and words that mean one thing to us but he really means the opposite.

“I’m against us being the global police we must lead our allies as we police the world.”

Great general from all accounts, not on board with his vision.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:18:44 AM by Ron »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »
I think Mattis wants to see us out of Syria as well. With only an armchair analyst guess, there must be something behind the scenes that had Mattis worried from the strategic perspective regarding Trump simply announcing, "We're done, ISIS is finished". Much like when Obama said the "JV Team" was finished. From the news at least, it sounds like Mattis was very worried, to the point of pretty much just showing up at the White House for one last plea.

There are many ways to pull back. We saw that Obama did it wrong. My guess is that Mattis didn't want Trump repeating that error.

On the tangent, it has been kinda funny to watch both the Obama cheerleaders and the Trump cheerleaders pretty much defending or criticizing the opposite of what they were doing when "the other guy" did it. Suddenly Dem leadership are all acting like Mattis is their bestest buddy, and ISIS is a great danger and we need our troops in the ME. I've also seen way too many conservatives saying some pretty stupid things about Mattis in the "good riddance" sense (not so much in Congress, but more the "conservative pundits").

The last thing I want to see with Trump (or any President) is to be surrounded by yes men. I was pretty impressed with Trump's original cabinet choices and what looked like him surrounding himself with experts that he would listen to. Sadly, I'm starting to see that go in the opposite direction. He still does have around a year to turn that back around though.

I don't mind Trump doing the "I know more than anyone else" stuff with economic issues. In many ways, he has shown himself to be right. I'm scared about him doing that with national security issues. I'm very curious about who gave him information and advice, and what that was, that would cause him to blow off Mattis.