Author Topic: Holy Hell! Mattis is Out  (Read 9151 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: Holy Hell! Mattis is Out
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2019, 11:38:36 PM »
With the Mattis thing I'm about back to where I was on Trump to begin with.  He's personally a dick, but Not Hillary and we got a few Supreme Court picks.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2019, 01:38:51 AM »
Yeah, he should have just thanked him for his service and let him ride it out until the date Mattis gave.   He's made a lots vets unhappy with 1) doing something to make Mattis resign, then, 2) firing him early, and now 3) bad mouthing a guy considered a demi-god by most vets.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:14 AM »
One thing I absolutely don't like about Trump is his propensity to heap abuse on former officials after they depart his administration. That's just childish. I'm perfectly happy when he trolls the Democrats, or Rocketman, but dissing the people he appointed to high positions is crude, rude, and socially unacceptable. It also raises the question: If these people were so terrible -- why did you appoint them?

Agree with all of the above, especially the last. All administrations go through staff, and sometimes people just don't work out. But going from, "This guy is the best in the world" to "This guy is the worst" multiple times really makes one reconsider Trump's ability to find "great people".

Also, I'll give benefit of doubt to Trump when he does the "I know more than 'X' advisor" for economic related stuff, because he has shown he knows a lot about that. However, I can't accept him doing so for national defense. That's why when many libs were crying about "all the Generals", I was happy to see him surrounding himself with experts.

To now say he knows more about military strategy than Mattis or any of the Generals he has dissed is ridiculous, and I'm still very concerned regarding just who is advising him regarding strategy. I haven't heard any names of experts Trump consulted with that may have a different take than Mattis, et. al.

Again, not from the "get us out of Syria" perspective, which I agree with, but the "How to get us out of Syria in a strategically sound manner", which it has become obvious Trump is pulling out of his ass. I'm glad he took the Christmas trip though, as somehow something people there told him, or stuff he saw, caused him to take a breath and step back to a more reasonable withdrawal strategy than the one that caused Mattis to quit (note Trump started the "You can't quit because you're fired!" routine regarding Mattis).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Best reality show ever!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
One thing I absolutely don't like about Trump is his propensity to heap abuse on former officials after they depart his administration. That's just childish. I'm perfectly happy when he trolls the Democrats, or Rocketman, but dissing the people he appointed to high positions is crude, rude, and socially unacceptable. It also raises the question: If these people were so terrible -- why did you appoint them?
He does mostly do it with former people who have criticized him on the way out or after the fact.  But I agree it doesn't look good except for the more extreme critics. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Is it?

There is nothing “real” about reality shows.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
He does mostly do it with former people who have criticized him on the way out or after the fact.  But I agree it doesn't look good except for the more extreme critics. 

While I still don't like the Junior High taunts, I don't even care that much if they are aimed at people like Omarosa (What the hell was she doing there anyway?). While I still wish he would take a more adult tone responding to it, they started it.

I really do care a lot when he does it to people like Tillerson and Mattis, who at least publicly, left their posts in a well-mannered way, and to me, are straight shooters who know their stuff. If they and the president didn't see eye to eye, that's fine, but don't take people with documented past success and cred, and who you were calling "the best and brightest" just two years ago, and now try and tell us they're a couple of dummies who can't dress themselves. Now I'm just hoping he doesn't go down this same road with Nikki Haley.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »

While I still don't like the Junior High taunts, I don't even care that much if they are aimed at people like Omarosa (What the hell was she doing there anyway?). While I still wish he would take a more adult tone responding to it, they started it.

I really do care a lot when he does it to people like Tillerson and Mattis, who at least publicly, left their posts in a well-mannered way, and to me, are straight shooters who know their stuff. If they and the president didn't see eye to eye, that's fine, but don't take people with documented past success and cred, and who you were calling "the best and brightest" just two years ago, and now try and tell us they're a couple of dummies who can't dress themselves. Now I'm just hoping he doesn't go down this same road with Nikki Haley.

I haven't seen anything from Mattis that warrants a counter-attack, (I've been off of all media during Christmas. It was nice) but I recall that Tillerson was reported to have called Trump a moron before Trump responded.

So far, Mattis appears to be the only one outside of the customary Trump tactic of counter-punching.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
I haven't seen anything from Mattis that warrants a counter-attack, (I've been off of all media during Christmas. It was nice) but I recall that Tillerson was reported to have called Trump a moron before Trump responded.

I had heard that one, but both of them seemed to deny it at the time. Hence my caveat of "in public". It might be broken glass bottles and knives behind closed doors though.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »
There is nothing “real” about reality shows.
... Oh, please,please,please  don't tell me those are all fake!!!!! [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2019, 07:22:46 PM »
... Oh, please,please,please  don't tell me those are all fake!!!!! [tinfoil]

As fake as Chekov's accent in Star Trek TNG.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2019, 07:25:17 PM »
As fake as Chekov's accent in Star Trek TNG.

Or Worf's head ridge in STAR WARS?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2019, 12:24:35 PM »
Rather then starting a new thread.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-court-rules-for-trump-on-transgender-military-limits/ar-BBRNP8d?ocid=ientp

President Donald Trump announced in March that he would endorse a plan by former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to restrict the military service of transgender people who experience a condition called gender dysphoria.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
So under what conditions can transgender folks serve?

It’s not a ban but a restriction.

Is this just one click of the ratchet to the left, not two?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2019, 07:22:18 PM »
Cognoscenti are promoting Jim Webb for Secretary of Defense.  He's the only D that I've had any like for over the last several decades.  I bought and read his book Fields of Fire in 1978 and he is a highly decorated Marine.  I'd like to see him get the position.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
His still being a Democrat makes me question his judgement.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and consider it loyalty to a lost cause.

The question I would ask, Nationalist or globalist?

Pb

• friend
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:34 AM »
So under what conditions can transgender folks serve?

It’s not a ban but a restriction.

The rules are now that they have to "present" as their biological gender and they can't have gender dysphoria (being transgender makes them miserable).  Seems fairly reasonable.

I read an article some months ago that 90% of transgender service members had "other" mental issues simultaneously.... along with extremely high rates of suicide attempts.