Author Topic: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect  (Read 18351 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« on: December 22, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »
Looks like they went to "partial shutdown".

The first thing I did after I saw it went into effect is looked up the Federal pay periods, because "800,000 Federal employees and their families will be starving over Christmas".

It appears the last pay period ended today (if I can still read the calendars correctly), so feds haven't even gotten their pay for the previous period yet. With a new pay period starting, there is already a two week buffer in which this thing will likely be over, so about a 90% chance employees will see no effect other than extra paid days off. The only ones getting "screwed" will be essential employees who have to work instead of getting paid vacation.

During the Obama shutdown, I went fishing and got paid for it. My next paycheck after the shutdown ended was like three days short, due to where the shutdown and the pay period aligned. The three days, IIRC, were added in a special electronic deposit a few days later.

It'll be interesting to see what is done with National Parks, etc. I think Trump kept them open earlier this year for that one day or whatever shutdown?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »
The VA is fully funded so it is business as usual for the VA employees.

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
My understanding is this only directly affects a small part of the govt that is not already funded by other means.  Yeah, we will see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:40:59 AM »
Yeah, I just saw they said "25%". I can't remember the numbers on the previous shutdowns, but 25% sounds pretty freakin' low. At that percentage, it shouldn't even be called a shutdown.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
Homeland and DOT are both affected.  Several others too, but they're probably the largest two agencies not funded currently.

1) Excepted employees still must come to work.  Yeah, that means I'll be vectoring for IOU's Christmas day.
2) Senate passed a resolution last night to packpay furloughed workers.
3) For once I agree with the Democrats.  Trump had 2 years to get this done.  The GOP didn't have the will to do it.  Freedom Caucus shows up in the White House on Thursday morning, calls him a pussy for not standing up for the wall, and here we are.  The Senate's spending bill was voted for unanimously.
4) Yes it's about 25% of the gov't that is affected.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:10:50 AM »
I still say if they're nonessential, stop bringing them back after these things.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »
I still say if they're nonessential, stop bringing them back after these things.

;/  Nice soundbite.
I guess nobody will be around to run payroll, register aircraft, document plans and procedures?
Just a few examples of "nonessentials" in the FAA. 
There's lots of things we could do without the Government doing.  I'm down with that.  But the fact is, the government has wrested control of these things from the states or the people, and you won't be getting them back anytime soon.  The majority of voters are too stupid to even consider taking power back from the fed.gov.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »
CNBC is reporting that the VP has helped broker a deal in the Senate. 
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/schumer-pence-mcconnell-reach-deal-221400146.html
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
;/  Nice soundbite.
I guess nobody will be around to run payroll, register aircraft, document plans and procedures?
Just a few examples of "nonessentials" in the FAA. 
There's lots of things we could do without the Government doing.  I'm down with that.  But the fact is, the government has wrested control of these things from the states or the people, and you won't be getting them back anytime soon.  The majority of voters are too stupid to even consider taking power back from the fed.gov.

Somebody needs a Snickers for Christmas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
Somebody needs a Snickers for Christmas.
I noticed yesterday that Buc-cees has started selling 50 cent mini-candy bars (different from the Halloween minis).  Jamis has moved out of the Buc-cees service area though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »
Working Christmas day for IOU's with no actual promise of being paid (only past precedent) does make one a little grouchy.

Adjourned today until after Christmas. 
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 07:06:08 PM »
I'm proud of Trump for agreeing to take credit for the shut-down. It may have been his finest moment, in an administration with a surprisingly high number of fine moments, considering.

Here's something odd. People are saying that Trump was willing to "take the mantle" for the shut-down. I guess people think taking the mantle means taking the blame. Nobody reads the Bible, I guess.

Also odd - that reining in government for a few hours or days is a worse crime than failing on border control or wasting tax monies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
*Yawn*

[Rolls over and goes back to sleep]

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
I'm proud of Trump for agreeing to take credit for the shut-down. It may have been his finest moment, in an administration with a surprisingly high number of fine moments, considering.
Didn't last very long...
The Democrats now own the shutdown!
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 12:00:52 AM »
i wrote this , last yr i think
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
Well, I still wouldn't even be aware of the "shutdown" if not for news reports . . . which actually seem to be a bit less breathless and apocalyptic than during the last few shut downs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »
So, typical NBC article with the "people are going to die because the parks shut down!" text and "sad kid" images.

However, did anyone else, while they were reading this, think, "How are slobs the government's fault?" So now we have to have hall monitors everywhere to force people to behave? We can't just teach good behavior as the default?

Also, maybe there's a reg as to why they can't, but if you ARE going to keep the parks open, and you have to have minimum essential personnel there anyway because the park is open, I think a good argument could be made that a gate person is essential, and then you can also keep collecting money. It seems they're getting an extra influx of people because entry is free right now. Likely some of the "bad actors" wouldn't be there if they had to pay the $40 to get in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/shutdown-nightmare-park-bathrooms-overflowing-human-waste-vandals-causing-damage-n953406

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »
So, typical NBC article with the "people are going to die because the parks shut down!" text and "sad kid" images.

However, did anyone else, while they were reading this, think, "How are slobs the government's fault?" So now we have to have hall monitors everywhere to force people to behave? We can't just teach good behavior as the default?

Also, maybe there's a reg as to why they can't, but if you ARE going to keep the parks open, and you have to have minimum essential personnel there anyway because the park is open, I think a good argument could be made that a gate person is essential, and then you can also keep collecting money. It seems they're getting an extra influx of people because entry is free right now. Likely some of the "bad actors" wouldn't be there if they had to pay the $40 to get in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/shutdown-nightmare-park-bathrooms-overflowing-human-waste-vandals-causing-damage-n953406

Well, at least now we know when the democrats go to parks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »
Yep, when it's Free.  After all they are members of the FSA for the most part...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
Well, I still wouldn't even be aware of the "shutdown" if not for news reports . . . which actually seem to be a bit less breathless and apocalyptic than during the last few shut downs.

Because essential personnel are required to come in.  If it was  a true shut down, i'd be on furlough, and they'd be no ATC service available.
Then the entire nation would notice.  Real quick.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
Because essential personnel are required to come in.  If it was  a true shut down, i'd be on furlough, and they'd be no ATC service available.

Which is why these half-ass shutdowns on some non-essential services only never really accomplish anything besides political statements from both sides. If they managed to have a real, full shutdown, I expect it wouldn't last more than 48 hours.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »

Did you get furloughed during the last one (2013?)  I remember the media throwing a fit but not much else.  Reservists didn't have drill that month.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
Did you get furloughed during the last one (2013?)  I remember the media throwing a fit but not much else.  Reservists didn't have drill that month.

I wasn't with the FAA at the time. 

My understanding is that NY facilities dug in and made flying miserable for a few days. 
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »
Well, almost a week since my last post on this topic, and I still wouldn't even be aware of the shutdown if not for the news coverage . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
Well, almost a week since my last post on this topic, and I still wouldn't even be aware of the shutdown if not for the news coverage . . .

Me too.  Who cares.