Author Topic: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect  (Read 18366 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 02:35:03 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what I'm walking into tomorrow with my customer. They provide essential services, but many of the people I work with may very well be furloughed.

For me it's business as usual as we're funded for at least a couple of months.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
Well here's one way that the government shutdown is having an effect:
E-Verify and E-Verify services are currently unavailable due to a lapse in government appropriations.
:facepalm:
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »
https://fox8.com/2019/01/03/irs-wont-issue-tax-refunds-during-government-shutdown/

Got em by the balls,  if Trump doesn't blink.  Play it right and Pelosi is to blame for the free *expletive deleted*it checks not going out on time.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 10:19:53 PM »
Gotta wonder who will blink first, Ds or Trump.  I would think the Ds have the most to lose as they are the ones who won't come to the table.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 06:19:13 AM »
The D’s passed a budget that the Senate won’t even vote on. 🤦‍♂️

Working for IOUs now. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 07:28:16 AM »
The D’s passed a budget that the Senate won’t even vote on. 🤦‍♂️

Working for IOUs now. 

Of course they did. Gesture politics.

Just like when the Republicans voted 422,000 times every day to overturn Obamacare, until they actually had the power to do so, when they choked so *expletive deleted*ing hard they looked like a snuff film star.

Expect more of the same in the coming days.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
I think the next few days will be a major decision point.

Again, if I remember my pay periods right, the current pay period ends tomorrow, so fed employees are still technically unaffected (pay-wise) as everything is the same as if there wasn't a shutdown. Pay wouldn't be distributed normally until like next Thursday or Friday. If the shutdown ends by Monday or Tuesday, there's still enough time for OPM to process timesheets and get everyone paid on time.

If the shutdown goes beyond Tuesday, that's when the time will start that employees will not be getting paid, at least until the shutdown is over. While many APS members may be saying "so what?", within the gov, I think that will be a point where the R's will want to start compromising more to end the shutdown, because they're going to start being afraid of political backlash.

Right now, with this kind of partial shutdown, it's pretty unnoticeable and no one has yet been really affected (other than people like Jamis - non-furloughed essential employees who might be having to put in extra hours, etc.). Once the dems can actually start proving (versus just saying, as they have been now) that "people are being hurt", that's when the R's will start to waffle because of optics and will want Trump to hurry up and compromise. JMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »

Agreed. With the holidays, the pay period timing, and a few departments coasting on miscellaneous funds into this week there just hasn't been any pressure on either side - about the only reason for Trump to compromise earlier was the more favorable house numbers and the Dems would obviously want to hold out until they had the majority. Even the media has been half-assing the coverage. The pressure will increase a bit next week but I still think it could go through the rest of this month before it really starts getting taken seriously and an agreement is reached that everyone hates (but both sides will pretend they won).

I'm just hoping someone at the BATFE is still going in to review & approve my FFL03 application.  =)
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
and an agreement is reached that everyone hates (but both sides will pretend they won).

That's exactly what will happen.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 10:04:07 AM »
That's exactly what will happen.

Well, if a normal Republican were in charge, I'd expect a full cave that gets the Democrats what they want and the Republicans a promise that we'll do it next time, REALLY!

With Trump in a position to veto, I'm expecting at least that the Democrats will hate it too. (I note that Trump has already accepted a "but we'll take care of the wall NEXT TIME, really!" last year. I'm watching to see if he takes that bait again, like most Republicans.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 10:12:35 AM »
Well, if a normal Republican were in charge, I'd expect a full cave that gets the Democrats what they want and the Republicans a promise that we'll do it next time, REALLY!

With Trump in a position to veto, I'm expecting at least that the Democrats will hate it too. (I note that Trump has already accepted a "but we'll take care of the wall NEXT TIME, really!" last year. I'm watching to see if he takes that bait again, like most Republicans.)

I fully expect some "wall" funding. Maybe $1-2 billion. Trump will say he won, even if dems add language about surveillance versus barriers, social programs, etc. If Trump gets even a mile of "wall", he will call it a win.

The Dems will call it a win even if Trump gets "wall" money because all the money won't be spent on physical barriers, and even if Trump builds 500 miles of wall, there will be some money for some kind of "[illegal] immigrant safety funding" (like medical funding at detention centers or whatever), which means they "took on Trump and won!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 10:22:11 AM »
There was better than 1.5 billion already in the appropriation as border security funding that could have been applied to a wall, but Trump demanded $5 billion to get the process moving forward instead of shuffling it down the pike.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
I'm just hoping someone at the BATFE is still going in to review & approve my FFL03 application.  =)

Treasury is part of the shutdown.  I know the IRS is on minimal staffing, with 7 out of 8 employees furloughed.  Not sure how that will affect refunds as not many folks are filing yet.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »

Again, if I remember my pay periods right, the current pay period ends tomorrow, so fed employees are still technically unaffected (pay-wise) as everything is the same as if there wasn't a shutdown. Pay wouldn't be distributed normally until like next Thursday or Friday. If the shutdown ends by Monday or Tuesday, there's still enough time for OPM to process timesheets and get everyone paid on time.

If the shutdown goes beyond Tuesday, that's when the time will start that employees will not be getting paid, at least until the shutdown is over. While many APS members may be saying "so what?", within the gov, I think that will be a point where the R's will want to start compromising more to end the shutdown, because they're going to start being afraid of political backlash.

Just for the record, assuming everyone else is on the same schedule as DOD civilians, we got paid yesterday, the 3rd, for the Pay Period that ended on 22 Dec 18.  time cards for that pay period were supposed to be turned in on (at our agency) Dec 20th, and the pay was cut in OPM's system on no later than the 26th.  Which is a long way of saying that those checks should have gone out on time, as they were out of the "closed" agencies hands and into parts of the .gov with funding before the partial shutdown.

The pay date for the next Pay Period (20181222-20190105) is 17 Jan.  That's when the first checks will hit, or not, for the furloughed and IOU workers.  No one's actually missed a paycheck yet.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 10:48:51 AM »
The pain will not be applied where it needs to be applied.

The pain will be applied where it will hurt the President and the right the most.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »

The pay date for the next Pay Period (20181222-20190105) is 17 Jan.  That's when the first checks will hit, or not, for the furloughed and IOU workers.  No one's actually missed a paycheck yet.

Ah, okay. It's been a while. For some reason I was thinking deposits were made a week after the pay period ends.

So that actually gives them even more time to waffle around and it won't be until the following week that time will be too short to issue paychecks on time (I think).

PEfarmer

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
Ah, okay. It's been a while. For some reason I was thinking deposits were made a week after the pay period ends.

So that actually gives them even more time to waffle around and it won't be until the following week that time will be too short to issue paychecks on time (I think).

Officially, (and maybe in practice at DOD) that is the official pay date.  But at USDA (and USS last-job at NOAA (Commerce)) we generally get paid 1 week after pay period end.  That said, we won't have room to complain officially until the official pay date which is the 17th as Dogmush described.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »
Officially, (and maybe in practice at DOD) that is the official pay date.  But at USDA (and USS last-job at NOAA (Commerce)) we generally get paid 1 week after pay period end.  That said, we won't have room to complain officially until the official pay date which is the 17th as Dogmush described.

Okay, I was remembering right then. I remember now we got paid through USDA finance center. DOD must be on a different schedule for electronic deposits.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »
Seems the IRS won't be able to process tax refunds until after the shutdown is over.

Again, it's a shame that they just don't furlough everyone.  When the planes can't fly that would put a *expletive deleted*ing end to this bullshit.

Correct on pay periods.  Although my "in lieu of" holiday for Christmas Eve was saturday after the shutdown, so my paycheck didn't include that.  Tuesday the 15th will be the first day without a paycheck.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
Just what all is effected now and in coming days, weeks by this shutdown?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Just what all is effected now and in coming days, weeks by this shutdown?

Homeland, Treasury and FAA are the biggest that could have an effect on the day to day lives.  HuD perhaps, which will affect home buying especially.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2019, 03:46:27 PM »
Seems the IRS won't be able to process tax refunds until after the shutdown is over.

Again, it's a shame that they just don't furlough everyone.  When the planes can't fly that would put a *expletive deleted*ing end to this bullshit.

Correct on pay periods.  Although my "in lieu of" holiday for Christmas Eve was saturday after the shutdown, so my paycheck didn't include that.  Tuesday the 15th will be the first day without a paycheck.
Too bad they don't seem to have trouble processing payroll tax deductions. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 04:27:06 PM »
The “ermagawd no refunds!” only affects the FSA, delaying them “getting back” $8k despite not having worked all year

The rest of us who work for a living won’t see our w-2s for a while anyway
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
Regarding taxes.  The IRS wasn't going to begin to accept returns until either 15 or 31 Jan.  I disremember which. 

And in regards to the FSA.  Any returns with Earned Income Credit, Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, and/or Child and Dependent Care Credit, will NOT receive refunds until after 15 Feb.  So the FSA will have to wait.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »
On the way home, a story on NPR was about people who cannot buy a house because the FHA is not in business to process loans.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.