Author Topic: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect  (Read 18352 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »
Because my last shift when the shutdown happened was a midnight shift, I received a partial paycheck of $200 for this pay period.  Officially working for IOUs. 
Trump is going to lose any chances he had with federal workers over this shut down. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
On the way home, a story on NPR was about people who cannot buy a house because the FHA is not in business to process loans.

Why in the world should the federal gov process home loans???  That should go away.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
Why in the world should the federal gov process home loans???  That should go away.

Should it go away? Yes.  Lots of what the fed.gov should go away.  But it never will.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 10:56:29 AM »
Because my last shift when the shutdown happened was a midnight shift, I received a partial paycheck of $200 for this pay period.  Officially working for IOUs. 
Trump is going to lose any chances he had with federal workers over this shut down. 

Yes, because sooooooo many of them voted for him the first time....https://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/district-of-columbia/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Yes, because sooooooo many of them voted for him the first time....https://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president/district-of-columbia/

Oh I agree the majority vote D. I work with a lot of them.  
I think he's hoping this will put pressure on the D's to cave.  But I promise you the asshats I work with who vote D will never vote R.
Instead, though, my anecdotal "boots on the ground" take is many of my R and I coworkers are disgruntled with Trump and would vote for a moderate D over him in a heartbeat at this point.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 11:13:42 AM »
I think he's hoping this will put pressure on the D's to cave.  But I promise you the asshats I work with who vote D will never vote R.
Instead, though, my anecdotal "boots on the ground" take is many of my R and I coworkers are disgruntled with Trump and would vote for a moderate D over him in a heartbeat at this point.

And most of them would have voted for a "moderate" D over him in the first place.

Of course, every D will lie and say they area  "moderate" and then push the leftist agenda of open borders, "healthcare for all!", high taxes, and increased regulation.

But at least they will call them "moderate" positions.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »

One can be disgruntled with Trump, but again (JMO), if the dems offered Trump half the $5 billion he's asking for, he would call it a win and agree to it. The dems are refusing to even negotiate, but those "asshats" (and I worked with them too) are not and will never be disgruntled with the dems refusing to budge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 11:34:04 AM »
One can be disgruntled with Trump, but again (JMO), if the dems offered Trump half the $5 billion he's asking for, he would call it a win and agree to it. The dems are refusing to even negotiate, but those "asshats" (and I worked with them too) are not and will never be disgruntled with the dems refusing to budge.

Yep, Trump offered to "reopen" the government, if Nancy would allow Border Security within 30 days, and she said "NO".  It's not Trump being intransigent, but the Dems.

I mean we've only been promised Border Security by Congress since the 1986 Amnesty.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2019, 11:37:43 AM »
if the dems offered Trump half the $5 billion he's asking for, he would call it a win and agree to it.
Maybe. He originally asked for $1.6 and Senate Appropriations put in $1.6, then he upped it and things ground to a halt.
Seems kind of hard to predict what he's willing to accept now as the number keeps going up.

if Nancy would allow Border Security within 30 days
What does that even mean?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2019, 11:46:13 AM »

Trump's not my favorite CinC, but it's pretty clear that a bunch of American's want stronger border security, and a wall, Trump was elected in a large part on a promise to build a wall, and he said for the better part of a year that he would not sign a spending bill that didn't include funding for that promise.

Congress had almost two years to figure out how to give funding for that project, that again, a large portion of Americans elected representatives to do, or gather enough votes to override the President's veto power.  Congressional leaders could do neither.  In fact, as far as I can tell, Trump hasn't actually vetoed anything as Congress can't even get a bill through both houses.

This issue is Congress's fault, and blaming Trump for actually keeping his word, even if you disagree with it, is incorrect IMO.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2019, 02:05:46 PM »

Well, the most prominent moderate D I know of was John McCain, and he was hiding out in the GOP. So for moderate D's with some national recognition that leaves Collins and Murkowski . . . nobody else really comes to mind.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Maybe. He originally asked for $1.6 and Senate Appropriations put in $1.6, then he upped it and things ground to a halt.
Seems kind of hard to predict what he's willing to accept now as the number keeps going up.

I'll revise my numbers down. If they were to come back with, "We'll accept your original $1.6 billion", he'll take it, call it a win, and say, "This was my negotiating tactic. That's the number I wanted and I asked for more as a bargaining tool because otherwise the dems wouldn't have given me anything."

Especially now that it's the day before Federal payday.

I'd certainly prefer something like this instead of "emergency powers" which seems his only other alternative for a quick end. I don't like presidents of either party using emergency powers so liberally. I complained when Obama did the "phone and pen" thing, and it's only fair that I complain if Trump does the same thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2019, 03:36:38 PM »
Looks like even some Trump haters are asking why shutdowns are always the fault of Rs, never the fault of Ds:

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2019/01/10/media-take-note-if-you-have-ethics-brit-hume-shares-epic-thread-on-govt-shutdown-from-a-man-with-no-use-for-trump/

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »
I'll revise my numbers down. If they were to come back with, "We'll accept your original $1.6 billion", he'll take it, call it a win, and say, "This was my negotiating tactic. That's the number I wanted and I asked for more as a bargaining tool because otherwise the dems wouldn't have given me anything."

Especially now that it's the day before Federal payday.

I'd certainly prefer something like this instead of "emergency powers" which seems his only other alternative for a quick end. I don't like presidents of either party using emergency powers so liberally. I complained when Obama did the "phone and pen" thing, and it's only fair that I complain if Trump does the same thing.

While I agree that "Phone and Pen" thing are "not good"tm.  Maybe having Trump use them like Obama did will get Congress to go " umm, hey.  Maybe we need to re-think the powers we give to executive branch, and put some limits on them.  As it stands I heard that Emergency Powers have been used 38 times and 31 of them are still in effect.

Plus, Congress needs to start doing their damn jobs.  Just going back to you constitutants and saying "I stopped the other side", maybe talk about how you worked together to solve problems.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2019, 05:57:39 PM »
Protesting at the White House, but not where Pelosi and Schumer hide out. Partisan jackwagons, doing the opposite of what they did during the Obama shutdown.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/01/10/furloughed-federal-workers-protest-trumps-shutdown-one-sign-reads-my-landlord-is-calling-already/

Oh, and the only way your landlord is calling, jackass, is if you didn't use your check from 28DEC to pay your rent on 01JAN.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2019, 06:02:45 PM »
We were in front of the House today freezing our asses off.  Overall it was pretty non partisan, except when DeFazzio spoke he went a little "orange man bad".  And mentions of Mitchey-poo got a lot of boos for refusing to take a vote on appropriations.
Half a dozen cameras there but this is the only article I've found so far.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/federal-workers-protest-the-government-shutdown.html
JD

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 09:18:50 PM »
I think he ought to up the ante. Refuse to sign anymore continuing resolutions, just a proper budget.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2019, 09:30:27 AM »
I figured today would be the day things get more serious, but apparently congress packed up and went home for the weekend at COB yesterday.

That's kind of an opening for Trump to do the "emergency" thing, which I still don't like, because:

"I'm declaring a health care emergency and implementing single payer"
"I'm declaring a gun violence emergency and banning semi-auto firearms"
"I'm declaring a climate emergency and mandating a 100% tax on fossil fuels"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »
I figured today would be the day things get more serious, but apparently congress packed up and went home for the weekend at COB yesterday.

That's kind of an opening for Trump to do the "emergency" thing, which I still don't like, because:

"I'm declaring a health care emergency and implementing single payer"
"I'm declaring a gun violence emergency and banning semi-auto firearms"
"I'm declaring a climate emergency and mandating a 100% tax on fossil fuels"

Yes and no.  I expect the democrats will challenge in court.  If they win and it gets quashed, that sets some serious precedent on limiting Presidential powers.  One of the few times I'm rooting for the D's to win in court.
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:20 AM »
Yes and no.  I expect the democrats will challenge in court.  If they win and it gets quashed, that sets some serious precedent on limiting Presidential powers.  One of the few times I'm rooting for the D's to win in court.

Me too. While I've been thanking Harry Reid a lot over the last two years (mostly out of schadenfreude), at some point I'm going to be cursing him.

Same with stuff like Presidential emergency powers, phone and pen, etc. These are all short term solutions that do more harm than good in the long run. Emergency powers especially, need to be clearly defined.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:00 AM »
Emergency powers especially, need to be clearly defined.

First, there must be an emergency. A gradually (or even progressively) escalating problem that the .gov has actively participated in creating over the course of decades does not qualify as an "emergency" IMHO.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »
Obama declared an emergency over a flu virus.  In fact he declared 12 emergencies, and we're under 31 given what past presidents have declared.   I should think the current border situation should qualify if a flu virus does.

OTOH,  it does make one a bit cynical of .... "emergencies." THIRTY ONE   emergencies? ? ? ? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Pb

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
Folks, I don't watch the news- can one of you please tell me what Trump is trying to get?  1.6 billion or whatever isn't enough to fund The Wall.???

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Folks, I don't watch the news- can one of you please tell me what Trump is trying to get?  1.6 billion or whatever isn't enough to fund The Wall.???

His latest “opening offer” is 5 billion.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.