Author Topic: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect  (Read 18353 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Partial Gov Shut Down in Effect
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
He went from $25billion to $5.7.  Chuck and Nancy went from $1.6 to zero.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
He went from $25billion to $5.7.  Chuck and Nancy went from $1.6 to zero.
That's not correct.

The president’s February budget request for fiscal 2019 asked Congress for $1.6 billion for construction of 65 miles of “new border wall system in southern Texas.” Subsequently, Homeland Security officials indicated the White House was looking for $2.2 billion in a hearing on Capitol Hill, which House GOP lawmakers included in a larger immigration and border security package that was defeated in that chamber.

Then, Trump floated the higher $5 billion figure in a meeting with congressional Republicans in June, which became what passes for a formal request. But it was never accompanied by a “budget amendment” submitted to Congress, which is the typical practice for administrations after they identify new funding needs during the year.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
I figured today would be the day things get more serious, but apparently congress packed up and went home for the weekend at COB yesterday.

That's kind of an opening for Trump to do the "emergency" thing, which I still don't like, because:

"I'm declaring a health care emergency and implementing single payer"
"I'm declaring a gun violence emergency and banning semi-auto firearms"
"I'm declaring a climate emergency and mandating a 100% tax on fossil fuels"

If it worked that way, Obama would have banned semi-autos a few years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
While I continue to lean towards "it takes two to tango" regarding this dragging out, I do give Trump credit for sticking it out at the White House all weekend waiting to talk to someone. Most of Congress went home for a long weekend on Thursday. A select subset including some of the loudest mouths, went to Puerto Rico to party. Ironically to a "Hispanic Caucus PAC" shingdig.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-fly-to-puerto-rico-amid-ongoing-government-shutdown
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2019, 05:49:10 AM »
I'm not entirely buying the two to tango thing. This is almost entirely on the Dems. They have promised border security and immigration fixes in the past and never followed through. In 1986 Reagan signed the amnesty based on this promise, then the Dems reneged on their promise. There was a bill passed in 2006 mandating a border fence, the Dems keep blocking budget for it. The Dems will not negotiate in good faith if Trump accepts their current proposals, so he really has no choice but to wait for them to allocate budget for physical barriers on the border. If he just accepts what they want now, then they will never add budget for it and we will end up right back here again. And no he couldn't do it when he had the house and senate(he never really had the senate, if you don't have 60 reliable votes you don't really control the senate.)

I feel bad for those that might be experiencing financial issues with the shutdown, but I've had the same happen to me in the private sector with unpaid forced vacations. Except I had to work and never got paid for it, not really legal, but emergencies come up and if you want to keep your job you do what you got to do; government employees will actually get paid in the end. Government employees should be focusing on the Dems in Congress with their ire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2019, 08:58:46 AM »
Government employees are under constant “Orange Man Bad” conditioning even moreso than the typical consumer of media propaganda.

Their social standing and livelihood could be endangered if they are too vocal supporting Trump OR blaming the Democrats.

It is very oppressive working in overtly progressive establishments if you are a person on the right. You have to tread lightly lest you be considered “problematic” or subversive  and they question your team loyalty.

I’m sure there are a small minority of Trumpsters in the bureaucracy but they probably aren’t trumpeting that fact at work.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »
Government employees should be focusing on the Dems in Congress with their ire.

I agree with that.

I'm actually surprised that Trump, King of the attack Twitter, hasn't done tweets this morning in the vein of "Welcome back dems, from the luxury vacations you took this weekend while gov employees go without pay!" Of course no one seemed to care that Congess all took off over the holidays either. Pelosi hung out in the most expensive resort in Hawaii and that was cool. If Trump would have done similar, the fed unions would have been up in arms.

Not that it will sway most gov employees though. In my ~20 years, I learned that dems can commit murder and the majority of fed.gov employees will still support them and blame a Republican for the murder. Outside of the military and some specific agencies, I would say that runs about 80%/20%.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
Government employees should be focusing on the Dems in Congress with their ire.

I blame the GOP for not getting the wall built when they had full control.
I blame the dems for refusing any meaningful negotiations.
I blame the American people for voting  for idiots, morons, sexual predators and greedy pols.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »
https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/smoke-out-resistance/

Here's a perspective (purportedly from an administration official) that without the bureaucrats actively sabotaging things, more of the President's agenda is getting done during the "shutdown".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »
How did air traffic controllers get tossed in the non-essential bucket?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »

They're not. They're in the same bucket as the USCG: essential and unpaid.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »
CBP and ICE are also working with no pay right now.  I honestly haven't paid any attention to whether all of DHS is working right now

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2019, 07:08:36 PM »

We're essential.  Which means working without pay. However, a lot of our support staff are controllers on assignment, and unless they're "current" in the operation they're furloughed.

DHS and Treasury are both unfunded as well.  That means all DHS is working without pay along with SS.

So our Union filed a lawsuit over being unpaid and required to work.  They requested an expedited hearing against the Government over it, and it's expected that tomorrow the restraining order against uncle sam will be granted by the judge in the case (he indicated in the first hearing that it was a very strong case).  A couple possible outcomes
1) Immediate paid status for all essential personnel.
2) Pay status at federal minimum wage
3) The most interesting one to me, and the one I hope, is that the judge rules we cannot be required to work in a non pay status.  By the governments rules we would all go on furlough just like everyone else.  That would shut the National Airspace System down.  I'd expect the shutdown to be over by the end of that day...
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
VFR flying baby!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
We're essential.  Which means working without pay. However, a lot of our support staff are controllers on assignment, and unless they're "current" in the operation they're furloughed.

DHS and Treasury are both unfunded as well.  That means all DHS is working without pay along with SS.

So our Union filed a lawsuit over being unpaid and required to work.  They requested an expedited hearing against the Government over it, and it's expected that tomorrow the restraining order against uncle sam will be granted by the judge in the case (he indicated in the first hearing that it was a very strong case).  A couple possible outcomes
1) Immediate paid status for all essential personnel.
2) Pay status at federal minimum wage
3) The most interesting one to me, and the one I hope, is that the judge rules we cannot be required to work in a non pay status.  By the governments rules we would all go on furlough just like everyone else.  That would shut the National Airspace System down.  I'd expect the shutdown to be over by the end of that day...

This is what should have happened from the start. I'm as good a small l libertarian as the next guy, but I'm sick of people I know on FB running with the "keep the gov shut down, I haven't even noticed " meme.  No *expletive deleted*it Sherlock, they didn't actually close anything you would notice.

If we're going to do a shut down, do it. Then we can decide for real how much we need the feds.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
All essential personal should be paid if they are on the job.

Working = paid

Not working = not paid

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
One good result of the shutdown in the Chicago area is a noticeable reduction in the amount of traffic.  It makes for a much nicer commute.  It's the same way on federal holidays that aren't commonly a holiday for the private sector, Columbus Day, Arbor Day, etc.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
Interesting undercurrent that no one in Washington has been talking about.

I am reading that federal workers that have been furloughed for 30 days are eligible for RIF.

I don't know if this is part of the plan of dragging out the shutdown, but laying off hundreds of thousands of Democrats would be a fun exercise.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »
Yep. Only the President should be blamed, nothing to do with the Dems that won’t even show up to talk...

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/425425-democrats-turn-down-white-house-invitation-for-shutdown-talks?amp

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
Interesting undercurrent that no one in Washington has been talking about.

I am reading that federal workers that have been furloughed for 30 days are eligible for RIF.

I don't know if this is part of the plan of dragging out the shutdown, but laying off hundreds of thousands of Democrats would be a fun exercise.

LOL that would be entertaining, since  Treasury, Homeland, FAA are on the list.  Yeah RIF all the controllers out see how that goes...or all of the secret service employees...  :facepalm:
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
Yep. Only the President should be blamed, nothing to do with the Dems that won’t even show up to talk...

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/425425-democrats-turn-down-white-house-invitation-for-shutdown-talks?amp

I was about to post that. Apparently Pelosi is screeching "Not one single dollar!" and Schumer is saying, "Open the gov and we'll talk". That's sorta like "We've got to pass it to find out what's in it."

This particular thing falls squarely and 100% on the dems, but Trump will get 100% of the blame.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2019, 02:40:36 PM »
This is what should have happened from the start. I'm as good a small l libertarian as the next guy, but I'm sick of people I know on FB running with the "keep the gov shut down, I haven't even noticed " meme.  No *expletive deleted*it Sherlock, they didn't actually close anything you would notice.

If we're going to do a shut down, do it. Then we can decide for real how much we need the feds.

We lost on the TRO today.  Judge's response was typical activism, refusing to give a ruling from the law and or constitution.
Said only the Congress can appropriate funds, and that furloughing all the controllers would be dangerous.
This *expletive deleted*it's going to drag on now for awhile.
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »
I was about to post that. Apparently Pelosi is screeching "Not one single dollar!" and Schumer is saying, "Open the gov and we'll talk". That's sorta like "We've got to pass it to find out what's in it."

This particular thing falls squarely and 100% on the dems, but Trump will get 100% of the blame.

Bull.  The GOP had 2 years to get the wall built.  There's more than enough blame to go around.
JD