Author Topic: 25 year old frozen ham  (Read 25645 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: 25 year old frozen ham
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »
Well it’s been a few days. .....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No recent Robert or Bob obituaries in Rochester, MN. Just checked.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2019, 11:22:47 PM »
Well it’s been a few days. .....?

No problems digestive or otherwise from the ham that I've eaten so far.

I made some ham ball mix yesterday: 1.5 pounds ground ham, 1 pound 80% lean ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, eggs, etc.  Was going to use 2 lbs ham to 1 lb of beef but I thought it might be too salty.  I fried a little piece of it before adding the last half pound of ham, and that was a good call.  I put it in the fridge overnight for the nitrites in the ham to maybe migrate into the beef and turn it pink.  I baked them today.  They are a bit salty so I'm trying to figure out what to sauce them with.  Probably something like yellow hotdog mustard and brown sugar thinned with a little apple juice, with a pinch of cloves and ginger.

I used a pound of the ham in a pot of white bean soup, and I used a little more tonight to flavor some blackeyed peas.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2019, 03:03:28 PM »
No problems digestive or otherwise from the ham that I've eaten so far.

I made some ham ball mix yesterday: 1.5 pounds ground ham, 1 pound 80% lean ground beef, onions, bread crumbs, eggs, etc.  Was going to use 2 lbs ham to 1 lb of beef but I thought it might be too salty.  I fried a little piece of it before adding the last half pound of ham, and that was a good call.  I put it in the fridge overnight for the nitrites in the ham to maybe migrate into the beef and turn it pink.  I baked them today.  They are a bit salty so I'm trying to figure out what to sauce them with.  Probably something like yellow hotdog mustard and brown sugar thinned with a little apple juice, with a pinch of cloves and ginger.

I used a pound of the ham in a pot of white bean soup, and I used a little more tonight to flavor some blackeyed peas.

This has turned out to be a highly disappointing thread.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2019, 03:10:27 PM »
This has turned out to be a highly disappointing thread.

Oh, it ain't over yet....  Remember, the dose makes the poison... ;) ;) ;)

Between the bean soup and the meatloaf... Hope springs anew !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »
How about now?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »
I got the diarhee just reading this thread. [barf] =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2019, 01:20:01 AM »
Jeeze, and I won't buy a can of food with even the slightest imperfection any more.

This, as opposed to the days when I had the proverbial cast iron stomach.  I also end up throwing away about a third or more of my produce since I usually can't finish all of it in a reasonable time.

They're pretty good at the market about cutting a head of lettuce in half for me, but even then, I usually can't finish it all.

The amusing part of that is when they re-wrap the other half and put it back on the shelf, it's usually sold within fifteen minutes anyhow.

Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 05:29:14 PM »
Somehow, this thread caused me to go out and buy a Hormel canned ham. Expiration date is late in 2021 so no problem there, but a curiosity:

The can clearly states that it's precooked and can be opened, sliced, and eaten cold. BUT ... if you want it warm/hot, they want you to bake it for an hour at 325 degrees, and check it with a meat thermometer for 165 degrees. If it's already fully cooked ... what difference does it make?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 05:32:07 PM »
I've had this exact discussion with my wife.

She's yet to give me a good answer.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 05:40:56 PM »
Somehow, this thread caused me to go out and buy a Hormel canned ham. Expiration date is late in 2021 so no problem there, but a curiosity:

The can clearly states that it's precooked and can be opened, sliced, and eaten cold. BUT ... if you want it warm/hot, they want you to bake it for an hour at 325 degrees, and check it with a meat thermometer for 165 degrees. If it's already fully cooked ... what difference does it make?

Because once you open the can, you expose it to the outside world. If you eat it cold, you're eating it before the new bacteria can do anything. If you warm it up but not all the way, you could be growing new bacteria but not killing it.

I'm guessing that would be the theory, but I'm also guessing it's like a one in a billion shot that you'd get even a wicked case of the tummy rumbles because you didn't cook you're precooked meat all the way.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:43 PM »
But if I store it in the refrigerator, it's exposed to germs and such. They don't say I have to bake it for an hour each time I want to slice off some leftovers.

I just wondered if it might be some lawyer's required liability avoidance thing, such as an iron bar carrying a warning that "This product may contain substances considered by the State of California to be carcinogenic" [when consumed by laboratory mice in quantities that would choke a large horse].

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:48 PM »
But if I store it in the refrigerator, it's exposed to germs and such. They don't say I have to bake it for an hour each time I want to slice off some leftovers.

I just wondered if it might be some lawyer's required liability avoidance thing, such as an iron bar carrying a warning that "This product may contain substances considered by the State of California to be carcinogenic" [when consumed by laboratory mice in quantities that would choke a large horse].

Sweetie, the reason we store food cold in the refrigerator is so bacteria doesn't grow in it.

Warm environment grows bacteria. Cold environment doesn't. 

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2019, 09:37:34 PM »
I am just wondering if this thread will age as long and as well as the ham.  ;)

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
Sweetie, the reason we store food cold in the refrigerator is so bacteria doesn't grow in it.

Warm environment grows bacteria. Cold environment doesn't. 

Cold still does, just slower.  There are bacteria that will still grow at like 2C.  But it takes like 100x as long for them to double at that temp, so you have days/weeks rather than hours.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
The true problem with long-term storage of things like this is that cold does absolutely nothing to stop enzymatic action, which can lead to seriously compromised quality over time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
The true problem with long-term storage of things like this is that cold does absolutely nothing to stop enzymatic action, which can lead to seriously compromised quality over time.

Which is why I will wet age my briskets that I purchase still in the cryovac. I give then 4-6 weeks (depending on pack date, max of 6 weeks from packing) in the fridge to let the enzymes present do their thing to tenderize the meat a little.

bob

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
Cold still does, just slower.  There are bacteria that will still grow at like 2C.  But it takes like 100x as long for them to double at that temp, so you have days/weeks rather than hours.

yes, I know. You can't leave it forever because eventually it will start growing *expletive deleted*it, but, for the purposes of this discussion, I am as right as I need to be.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 05:06:07 PM »
for the purposes of this discussion, I am as right as I need to be.
No, I think you missed Hawkmoon's point entirely.  He was talking about the strange recommendation to be sure to cook the canned ham through to 165 degrees internal temperature when it is okay to eat straight out of the can.  He compared that to refrigerated leftovers which people do not typically cook as though were raw. 

In both cases you have something that is safe to eat cold so you would not expect to have to worry about reaching a specific internal temperature for either.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:01 AM »
No, I think you missed Hawkmoon's point entirely.  He was talking about the strange recommendation to be sure to cook the canned ham through to 165 degrees internal temperature when it is okay to eat straight out of the can.  He compared that to refrigerated leftovers which people do not typically cook as though were raw. 

In both cases you have something that is safe to eat cold so you would not expect to have to worry about reaching a specific internal temperature for either.

Thank you for understanding the question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Thank you for understanding the question.
Sure thing sweetie.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.