Author Topic: WHAAAAT?!?!  (Read 1030 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
WHAAAAT?!?!
« on: December 26, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/12/25/on-the-basis-of-sex-review-rbg-223557

Unbelievable!

In the broader sweep of American history, this is an inopportune moment to present a current Supreme Court justice as a political hero. Last month, after President Donald Trump dismissed a ruling against his migrant policy as the action of an “Obama judge,” Chief Justice John Roberts took the unusual step of responding directly, declaring in a statement that “We do not have Obama judges or Trump judges, Bush judges or Clinton judges. What we have is an extraordinary group of dedicated judges doing their level best to do equal right to those appearing before them. The independent judiciary is something we should all be thankful for.”

Trump shot back on Twitter: “Sorry, Chief Justice Roberts, but you do indeed have ‘Obama judges,’ and they have a much different point of view than the people who are charged with the safety of our country.”

By the standard of civic disagreements in the Trump era, this was a high-minded exchange, and a revealing one. No doubt many liberals found themselves essentially agreeing with Trump: Republicans have politicized the judicial nomination process, so everyone must look for chances to elevate “our kind” of judges. There’s an element of regret built into that view: In an ideal world, more like the one of four decades ago, judges would be regarded less in terms of who appointed them than how well they live up to their oaths to provide independent justice, without fear or favor.

The Republicans have politicized the nomination process? Really? (cough, cough -- Bork.)

Or this:

Anyone who was discomfited by the notion of ideologically supercharged young conservatives praising Scalia for creating a new individual right to bear arms should probably think twice before donning their RBG T-shirts at the next abortion-rights march—or bursting into applause at her next triumphant cinematic moment.

So the Bill of Rights is "new." Got it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: WHAAAAT?!?!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »
Ahhh Politico....not quite as far left as CNN...

;/ ;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
Well of course the individual right to bear arms is a new, Republican judge interpretation of the Second Amendment!

How can anyone say that the Second Amendment is about individual rights, and not government rights, when the Amendments 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 are all about individual rights!

That the Second would be about individual rights is completely incongruous!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
The 2A allows you to have the firearm they issue you if you are a member of the National Guard...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.