Author Topic: So proud of my state right now.  (Read 993 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So proud of my state right now.
« on: December 27, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
Missouri state proves (again) that it's the equal of any of those east-coast ivy-league joints, when it comes to left-wing NPC insanity.

An official at Mizzou indicated during a deposition that a male student who was physically larger than the female student he asked out may have violated the school’s Title IX policy because his physical size gave him “power over her.”

Go Tigers!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: So proud of my state right now.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »
I’m glad I graduated before this insanity really took hold in the colleges. Didn’t have to deal with it during my associates degree because our class was separated from the rest of the college and we only had one girl in that class
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
Does this mean football players cannot date?  Basketball players, too?  I have a friend who played college basketball, he's 6'11".  I guess him asking out a gymnast at 4'10" was a violation...

Got a link for the OP quote?  I want to share the article if possible
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »
Asian guys finally win!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »
Does this mean football players cannot date?  Basketball players, too?  I have a friend who played college basketball, he's 6'11".  I guess him asking out a gymnast at 4'10" was a violation...

Got a link for the OP quote?  I want to share the article if possible

Doh!  https://www.dailywire.com/news/39732/mizzou-official-claims-tall-men-asking-out-short-ashe-schow

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
I expect this stuff out of universities in states like say, the entire West Coast. Interestingly though, some of the weirdest, most ridiculous  SJW stuff comes out of universities in states where I would least expect it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
The University of Michigan has been a Leftist spawning ground for many years.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:35:39 PM »
I expect this stuff out of universities in states like say, the entire West Coast. Interestingly though, some of the weirdest, most ridiculous  SJW stuff comes out of universities in states where I would least expect it.

Universities are where we, as a nation, keep our leftardiest leftards. Mizzou isn't really a part of Missouri. It's an enclave of Academiastan. After all, when I was stationed at Ft. Hood, I wasn't really living in Texas. I was merely living in a federal reservation surrounded by Texas.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 11:36:49 AM »
While the size = power thing is disturbing, I found it more disturbing the whole "legitimate purpose" discussion.  A Male must have a legitimate purpose for asking out a female.  Sex is not a legitimate purpose.  So, using their logic, no male may ask out a female for purely romantic purposes...

Is it me, or are these fools going to doom the human species if successful???  No more procreating outside of test tubes???
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:10:46 PM »
Later in the deposition, Andy Hayes, Mizzou’s Assistant Vice Chancellor for Civil Rights & Title IX, suggested that if someone were confused about whether they had “a legitimate purpose” for asking someone out on a date, they could call his office for clarification, but they might not get a definite answer. Here’s what he said in the original exchange:

Q. Is asking someone out on a date a course of conduct on the basis of sex? Let me just ask you that.

A. Yes.

Q. So you could ask someone out on a date with a legitimate purpose and not fall within this rule; is that correct?

A. You could.

Q. Okay. What I'm trying to get at here is, a student reading this policy, how did they know what is a legitimate purpose within the meaning of the rule?

A. Well, I'm going to speculate. But if they wanted it clarified, they could call my office. They could ask someone about it if they needed clarification. I don't know that many students read the rules before they take action.
:facepalm:

Seems like every time I hear someone defending some Social Justice idocy or another, I'm reminded of Ella Fitzgerald scat-singing "Blue Skies."

https://youtu.be/epRXoS_P0lk?t=63
 :rofl:

Terry

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »
While the size = power thing is disturbing, I found it more disturbing the whole "legitimate purpose" discussion.  A Male must have a legitimate purpose for asking out a female.  Sex is not a legitimate purpose.  So, using their logic, no male may ask out a female for purely romantic purposes...

Is it me, or are these fools going to doom the human species if successful???  No more procreating outside of test tubes???

Would "To watch movies on the Lifetime or Hallmark channels" count as a "Legitimate Purpose?"   ("Netflix and chill" is probably right out.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
National Review had a similar story but had to pull it back:
The article accurately quoted the deposition of the Title IX case, but it left out relevant details. In fact, the male student had made repeated, unwelcome advances toward the female student and was found in violation of Title IX for stalking her. He is suing the university and alleging that its Title IX office engaged in arbitrary enforcement and racial discrimination, but his lawsuit does not contest the fact pattern left out of this article.
So is there more to this story? What did he actually do?
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 04:03:29 PM »
This article has been retracted.

Editor’s Note: This article and its headline originally stated that a male student at the University of Missouri was found in violation of Title IX because he asked a female student on a date and “was perceived as having power over her.” The article accurately quoted the deposition of the Title IX case, but it left out relevant details. In fact, the male student had made repeated, unwelcome advances toward the female student and was found in violation of Title IX for stalking her. He is suing the university and alleging that its Title IX office engaged in arbitrary enforcement and racial discrimination, but his lawsuit does not contest the fact pattern left out of this article. We are retracting the article and we regret the error.

The article, including the initial editor’s note, is below.[/quote}
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
Okay, the guy did wrong.

But some of what is said in that deposition..  :facepalm:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:26 PM »
The fact that we all actually believed the original headline was possible is statement enough about the sorry condition our country is in.  :'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 08:35:57 PM »
The female was the instructor. Seems to me Mizzou doesn't understand what being "in a position of power or authority" means.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »

I guess "lying by omission" in order to generate headlines and column inches and clicks is endemic to all journalism nowadays.