Author Topic: Dynamic pricing on Amazon  (Read 690 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Dynamic pricing on Amazon
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
I bought a couple of holsters yesterday on Amazon to try them out.  They were listed as 'add on items' and sold for $ 5.94.  About two minutes after I added them to the cart and checked out, I went back to read the description of one of them. The price had gone from $ 5.94 to $ 14.97 and was no longer listed as an 'add on item'.  I wonder what gives with this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Dynamic pricing on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
Most likely it has to do with availability. The listed price is usually the lowest or lowest prime price. If you buy the last one available the next cheapest is listed by default.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
I've also noticed some of the third party stuff, especially cheaper stuff, goes up considerably when it moves from "add-on" to "prime". I'm not sure how Amazon works the prime shipping with the third party sellers (fulfilled by Amazon), but it seems almost like the additional cost is the seller getting some kind of "shipping and handling" out of the deal, despite the fact that you already paid your dues to Amazon for the prime shipping.

I have found it not uncommon for $5 items to double in price, or $10 items to go to $15, with the only difference being "add-on" vs two-day prime.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
Likely bought out a third party seller or otherwise bought the last ones set to sell at a particular price.

Pricing is dynamic, but usually not that dynamic.

Stick some stuff in your cart and move it to save for later, or onto a wish list, and it'll often tell you how much it's moved since you put it there. Iirc the save for later option in value and the wishlist in %. I have no way of knowing if it'll always tell you, but several items I've had on there for awhile point out how much an item has increased or decreased on price.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:01:15 AM »
So because my "ink" topic had me order a new refill to try, I just ran into this from another perspective. I ordered a refill pack for $9.95 with Prime shipping. Looking at delivery status today, where it also shows a link to the product, the pack is now selling for $14.95 with standard free shipping. Same company.

I have to say that I'm usually one of those people that doesn't even look at prices when something is under like 20 bucks, and just throw it in the cart. But I've run into this enough at Amazon now, that I actually do spend some time checking prices on even $5 dollar items. Paying ten bucks for a five buck item enough times adds up.

Also, when I see something "cheap" at Amazon, I've started looking at the websites for brick and mortar stores as well. Something like a kitchen sponge, for example, might run $5/pack at Amazon and $0.99/pack  if I walk into the local Walmart to buy it. Certainly I spend a few bucks in gas if I drive to Walmart just for that item, but it begins to make sense to make a Walmart list versus paying Amazon to deliver it to the house at a 400% markup.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »
If you get an "add on" item without it being part of a larger qualifying order, the price jumps back to the non-add on price. I've had that happen a couple of times before I caught on.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 10:56:29 AM »
If you get an "add on" item without it being part of a larger qualifying order, the price jumps back to the non-add on price. I've had that happen a couple of times before I caught on.

Brad

My example wasn't an add-on. I have noticed that with add-ons though.