Author Topic: Hint on cheap calculators  (Read 2233 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Hint on cheap calculators
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »
My parents threw my slide rule away after I joined the Marines.  Dang it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 01:50:16 PM »
That was most like a Curta mechanical calculator.

They were QUITE advanced, and have something of a cult following now. They also tend to bring quite high prices -- asking prices on various internet sites are well north of $1K depending on the model.

I have my Father's Curta. Not sure where my Grandfather's Curta got to.

Neat rundown on how they came to be... the originator was a "guest" of the Nazis during WW II.

https://newatlas.com/curta-death-camp-calculator/45506/

Your post got me digging, and I found most of it. Looks like one of my girls took it apart a few years back.

I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
Your post got me digging, and I found most of it. Looks like one of my girls took it apart a few years back.

Standing joke between me and the two boys (now men) when something turned up disassembled:  "I don't know, Pop.  I was just looking at it and it fell apart."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.