Author Topic: Space Childbirth  (Read 700 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Space Childbirth
« on: January 02, 2019, 05:39:07 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/01/space-childbirth-babies/579064/

The myopia is hilarious:

SpaceLife Origin, based  in the Netherlands, wants to send a pregnant woman, accompanied by a “trained, world-class medical team,” in a capsule to the space above Earth. The mission would last 24 to 36 hours. Once the woman delivered the child, the capsule would return to the ground. “A carefully prepared and monitored process will reduce all possible risks, similar to Western standards as they exist on Earth for both mother and child,” SpaceLife Origin’s website states. The company has set the year 2024 as the target date for the trip.

Long before anyone gets off the ground, SpaceLife Origin will face a barrage of questions from regulatory authorities, perhaps even from more than one nation. Commercial space travel is not confined by national borders, and it’s not uncommon for customers in one country to pay the government of another to launch their payloads. SpaceLife Origin’s ambitious mission could include an American woman, in a Japanese capsule, on an Indian rocket, accompanied by a team of doctors from multiple nations.

Because all of India's current rockets are man-rated.  And Japan has a legendary history of building manned capsules intended for demanding medical conditions.  And all those Indian and Japanese man-rated capsules and rockets are really just Kerbal building blocks and swap back and forth with no consequences.  Look at all the Soyuz capsules that flew regularly on Atlas rockets for example.  And so many nations have doctors trained and specializing in microgravity biohazard and blood loss.  Oh, and are also trained astronauts ready to initiate deorbit procedures (unless all these Japanese manned capsules are spacious enough to have a separate bridge for a command crew and segregated medical bay?). 

I think a mission like this would tax the life support systems of the latest generation of US spacecraft (Orion, Dragon and Starliner).  Hyperventilating mother in labor, enormous amounts of body heat generated by mother in labor, even a skeleton medical crew would be a doctor and nurse and pilot.  You're at 4 people (plus a baby in a bit).  While current ECLSS systems are designed for longer durations and larger crews, they are not going through the same accelerated metabolic intensity that a pregnancy crew would be engaging in. 

The questions raised about citizenship are delightfully uninformed.  Flying on a US craft, you are effectively on US "soil."  Same goes for Russian.  Or those fancy nonexistent Indian/Japanese man rated craft the author feels a need to posit.  It does make for an interesting discussion about nationality of a manned payload when using a booster from a different nation... but I think there's enough precedent with satellites that once the actual spacecraft is deployed (capsule or satellite) it answers to its sponsoring nation rather than the nation of the launch provider.  Applying that same logic to manned craft shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

The whole premise throws a nasty wrench in the concept of reusable spacecraft though.  Who wants to clean the placenta out of the Dragon capsule after it's had a couple hours to bounce around in microgravity and touch God-only-knows how many surfaces inside the vehicle?  Servicing the life support system to be sterile for another situation where bodily fluids and open wounds and cross contamination can happen, when microgravity is also an issue, could be difficult.  From what I understand, the ISS is a breeding ground for mold and it has the longest running space life support system in history, with countless docking operations from Russian and US spacecraft, and no systemic sterilization since its deployment.  And aside from Space Shuttles (which are sterilized as much as possible before each launch), all Soyuz that have docked there have been new and as sterile as possible.  None of those craft have had surgery done in them though.

I'm eager for the discussion of what constitutes a "Martian" with human transplants to said planet, and for humanity to prove it can reproduce elsewhere than Earth.  This article is so frustrating though, because this company (company?  How will you generate profit off something like this other than scamming space fanbois/gurls out of donation funds for a mission that will never launch?) is so patently a sham that they can't even offer the article's author some realistic launch providers to query for such a mission (Roskosmos, SpaceX, ULA/Boeing/Lockheed are the only 3 names in town for commercial private human rated spaceflight, add the Chinese for the only 4th option... Japan and India? WTF?).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Space Childbirth
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 07:21:37 PM »
Besides all of that, what will a 3g launch do to the about-to-be-born baby and mom?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »
Besides all of that, what will a 3g launch do to the about-to-be-born baby and mom?

That was my 1st thought as well.  I don't see zero g childbirth working well if there are any serious complications. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
As the risk manager, all I can think of is the fetal heart monitor showing fetal distress such that an emergency c-section is needed.  In orbit in a microgravity environment. Sure hope they can also intubate and deliver anesthesia.  Unless she just gets a space bullet to bite on.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
I think a mission like this would tax the life support systems of the latest generation of US spacecraft (Orion, Dragon and Starliner).  Hyperventilating mother in labor, enormous amounts of body heat generated by mother in labor, even a skeleton medical crew would be a doctor and nurse and pilot.  You're at 4 people (plus a baby in a bit).  While current ECLSS systems are designed for longer durations and larger crews, they are not going through the same accelerated metabolic intensity that a pregnancy crew would be engaging in. 

If only we had a space vehicle capable of being refitted for multiple mission profiles and big enough for a crew large enough for such an endeavor...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
Yeah, no. Just no.

Of all the weird *expletive deleted*it that people have come up with to make birthing a child some wonderful, magical moment with happy dancing unicorns and rainbows, this is probably the dumbest.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
Assuming that they don't find any unknown effects of zero G on an infant (remember when they gave infants 100 percent oxygen?) and the mother delivers on time, I'm thinking that having a screaming infant on re-entry will not make things go smoother.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 09:35:30 PM »
Yeah, no. Just no.

Of all the weird *expletive deleted*it that people have come up with to make birthing a child some wonderful, magical moment with happy dancing unicorns and rainbows, this is probably the dumbest.

I did read a birth plan of a patient who planned on having an underwater birth in a dolphin exhibit in a hotel in Hawaii.  She was unhappy when the hotel said no, and I was interested to learn that she was not the first person who had approached the hotel with this same idea.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »
Where's y'all's sense of adventure? Just do it on the vomit comet, with any luck the pilot could time the top of his loops to the contractions. Since I never worked passenger interiors I see zero down side.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 11:14:47 PM »

My first thought, also.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
Scam. Just a PR stunt to get press and a salary for a few people, then just let it fizzle.

Like the Mars One reality TV show colonization scam. Which interestingly was from the same part of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the same people were involved here as well.

https://news.avclub.com/ah-crap-it-looks-like-that-whole-human-mission-to-mar-1824177713
I promise not to duck.