Author Topic: Hello? 911? This is the ISS  (Read 454 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Hello? 911? This is the ISS
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »
ISS astronaut accidentally dials 911 while trying to make an international call.  :laugh:

That would actually be an easy misdial to make. Given the "International" in ISS, and though I would have never thought of it, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/astronaut-accidentally-dials-911-in-space-iss
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
Re: Hello? 911? This is the ISS
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:58 AM »
ISS astronaut accidentally dials 911 while trying to make an international call.  :laugh:

That would actually be an easy misdial to make. Given the "International" in ISS, and though I would have never thought of it, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/astronaut-accidentally-dials-911-in-space-iss

When I managed the phone system for a business a number of years ago I set the outside line to 7 to prevent this, especially since we had people with VoIP extensions in Europe and India. At one point someone took over that duty and reset it to 9. You can guess what started happening regularly... Police showing up to the business in the middle of the night when an associate in India misdialed. I even warned them, but they knew better since they were Cisco trained unlike me.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 11:17:21 AM »
I follow a couple of police officers on twitter.  One of them complained about this recently.  

I mean the accidental 911 calls because someone was dialing long distance, but had to dial 9 first and double punched the 1 button. 

If we just went back to rotary dial phones, we wouldn't have that problem.   =)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:29:34 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:23 AM »
You'd have to double punch the 9 and the 1 to do that everywhere I've worked.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »
I thought there was some kind of federal thing now that says dialing 9-1-1 has to automatically be processed through the system no matter the keystroke combination for outside access? Something about several deaths or serious injuries due to the confusion of getting to emergency services through the older "Dial X for outside service" systems. No specific memory of the requirement, just a thought rattling around in my head.

I know legacy systems require keystroke combos because they are switching physical circuits to get an outside connection (a la old school "in-house" PBX systems). There's no such restriction on VOIP service.

BRad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB