Author Topic: Archery - new bow  (Read 491 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Archery - new bow
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »
I just bought a Ragim Black Bear yesterday.  This is a 45# recurve, all one piece.  56" length.

My bow I shot the most prior to this is an ILF setup, a TradTech Trident Riser with BlackMax limbs, 50#, about 62" length.  The other I have is a Samick Journey with several limb weights, 64" length.

Shooting the TradTech, I favor a 3-under hold and I stringwalk under the nock, allowing me to hold point-on-target for aiming.  I get clean arrow flight from that bow.  Same with the Samick.

However, shooting this Black Bear, I can only get clean arrow flight with a split-finger hold.  It does not like a 3-under hold, and definitely no stringwalking.  I suspect it's because the bow is so much shorter, it's touchy about being drawn off-center.  I've played with moving the nock point around and that doesn't seem to do anything to clean up flight.

Anyone here a fan of 3-under shooting and stringwalking, and dealt with this kind of situation before?

I was drawn to this bow because I wanted something a bit shorter, less likely to snag on brush and easier to maneuver around trees and branches.  And I wanted a one-piece bow, since my other recurves are both takedowns.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Archery - new bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
What are you using for the arrow rest? It looks like it has a pretty good radius on the shelf.

I don't shoot 3 under but when I'm shooting a new bow and having problems I take it back to basics, arrow spine and brace height for starters.
I've seen quite a few new bows come with strings that are a bit on the short side. I tend to like the shortest brace height I can get good flight with.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:29:03 PM »
I'm using a Bear hair rest.

Brace height is 8 inches.

I've got 3 different 400 spine arrows:
1. Gold Tip Traditional, 50gr insert, 100gr points
2. Gold Tip Traditional 15gr accu-lite insert, 100gr points
3. Beman Bowhunter, 18gr Easton insert, 100gr points

All are 32".

The first has the highest weight and highest FOC.  The Bemans are the lightest and fastest.  All 3 elicit similar abnormal flight though.  And it goes away with all 3 when I return to split-finger.

I do have some 75, 125 and 150gr points, but the flight irregularity is more akin to porpoising (nock height) than spine (left/right flight irregularity).  I'll try increasing weight on the heaviest GT's and see if that helps at all.  As well as the 75's on the lighter GT's.

I do have some 340 spine GT Trads that I could try, but I really rather doubt a stiffer spine would resolve this issue.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »
3 under on that short a bow may be an issue.
About the only thing you haven't mentioned is tweaking the brace height.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams