Author Topic: Woman in Coma for 10 Years Gives Birth  (Read 7137 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Woman in Coma for 10 Years Gives Birth
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:49:35 AM »
I bet this is one that gives the resident Risk Manager nightmares. What the hell is wrong with people?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-in-vegetative-state-for-10-years-gives-births-to-baby
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Woman in Coma for 10 Years Gives Birth
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Well, wait until they do blood/DNA tests on all the male staff that were working there 9 months ago.  Sadly, this sort of thing happens more often than you would think. And not just people in comas, but people who are severely mentally or physically disabled and incapable of giving consent and/or resisting.  Inevitably, it is male staff doing this to female patients/residents. I have never heard of the reverse.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
Are cameras in every room too much of a HIPPA risk? (I assume the cost would be worth the risk mitigation, but I'm wondering about other factors involved.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »
Well, wait until they do blood/DNA tests on all the male staff that were working there 9 months ago.  Sadly, this sort of thing happens more often than you would think. And not just people in comas, but people who are severely mentally or physically disabled and incapable of giving consent and/or resisting.  Inevitably, it is male staff doing this to female patients/residents. I have never heard of the reverse.

Unfortunately, true.  Helped with the investigation/prosecution of a few cases back in the day.  Also unfortunate, it was also male staff doing this to disabled male patients.  Always liked seeing the staff members cry when the prison sentences were announced.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
Unfortunately, true.  Helped with the investigation/prosecution of a few cases back in the day.  Also unfortunate, it was also male staff doing this to disabled male patients.  Always liked seeing the staff members cry when the prison sentences were announced.

We need the back of courthouses to have a thick stone wall and one tall wooden post....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
Are cameras in every room too much of a HIPPA risk? (I assume the cost would be worth the risk mitigation, but I'm wondering about other factors involved.)

I have participated in a handful of cases in which video cameras were surreptitiously placed in patient care rooms.  Each of those cases were situations in which we suspected either abuse by family or staff, or Munchausen's by proxy by family members, virtually always the mother.  Generally speaking, you have to be very cautious about doing video surveillance in areas in which you have a reasonable expectation of privacy.  The staff unions would also have a fit.  Hallways or public areas are one thing, patient/resident rooms or bathrooms would be quite another thing. You have more latitude when you are investigating suspected crimes or the like.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »
Find him, cut his balls off, throw him in gen pop. Let the problem of his miserable existence work itself out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »
Wasn't this how the movie 'Kill Bill' started?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »
Amy Schumer, not stone, Railroad ties, less chance of ricochet.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
I seem to remember one proposed method:  Tie him to a big mill stone and throw them and stone in deep water. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
I seem to remember one proposed method:  Tie him to a big mill stone and throw them and stone in deep water. 

Makes it difficult to reuse the stone.  A single bullet is cheaper.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
Makes it difficult to reuse the stone.  A single bullet is cheaper.

There were no bullets back when that method was proposed.

They did have swords and spears.  And crosses.  Hmmm . . .
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 04:43:17 PM »
Surely there's a pig farm nearby.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 09:55:32 PM »
A wise man once said "rope is cheap,  gravity is free".
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 10:14:03 PM »
I bet this is one that gives the resident Risk Manager nightmares. What the hell is wrong with people?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-in-vegetative-state-for-10-years-gives-births-to-baby

https://www.chesterton.org/wrong-with-world/

Sexist!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »
There were times in my old job, usually during the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol, that we would play the "how to kill the pervert" game.  Women, especially mothers, can be downright frightening during in ng that game.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 10:16:38 PM »
Well, wait until they do blood/DNA tests on all the male staff that were working there 9 months ago.  

One of those things one never thinks about: what kind of security do hospitals provide to comatose patients, to keep people from just wandering in and taking things, assaulting the patient, etc? Can visitors just wander in from the hallways? Are there standards/best practices about that?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:33 PM »
As a general rule, hospital security and controlling access has gotten tighter over the past 20 years or so.  In the old days, visiting hours were maybe 1-2 hours, and all visitors had to pass by the nursing station first before they could see a patient.  Nowadays, for the general medical/surg/labor and delivery wards, visiting hours are longer and access to the ward may be much more open.  This improves patient satisfaction and makes the patients and family happier.

The level of security on a hospital ward depends on what type of care is provided there. The highest security is going to be on a locked forensic psych ward or the correctional healthcare ward, where the mentally-ill criminals or the hospitalized criminals are kept.  Next comes the newborn nursery, in which access is controlled through locked doors, every baby gets a baby LoJack and the doors automatically lock and alarms go off if someone tries to remove a baby without deactivating the baby LoJack.  Then comes the intensive care units that also often have either locked doors or the entrance goes through the ward front desk, so they can keep an eye out on comings and goings.  This is also the usual setup for people in comas or other profound neurological issues.  The typical med/surg ward is more open with little access control.

The Joint Commission, which is the primary accreditation agency of hospitals does have security criteria, and harm to a patient from an assault at the hospital is a 'never event'. 'Never events' are bad, and worse things can happen to your accreditation and penalties against the hospital can happen due to 'never events'. https://psnet.ahrq.gov/primers/primer/3/never-events

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 11:14:03 PM »
I had the impression from the article that the facility is a nursing home, not a hospital.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 11:42:58 PM »
There were times in my old job, usually during the consumption of copious amounts of alcohol, that we would play the "how to kill the pervert" game.  Women, especially mothers, can be downright frightening during in ng that game.

My two favorites;
Death by Daisy. The duly convicted is stripped naked, tied spread eagle to a wall and shot to death with a Daisy Red Rider BB gun, no head shots above the neck.

Big Hole:
Dig a big hole with a back hoe, throw convicted animal into hole, fill in hole. Park back hoe on top of filled in hole overnight. No wasteful and expensive steps like execution needed.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 11:57:32 PM »
I understand hospital security needs for stuff like this, but do not care at all for the general concept that hospitals have a right to make you stay. Comes up in the course when a family member says if they're going to die they want to do it outside the hospital. Look, we're leaving, good luck with your policies. I usually come and go by the stairwells, game the visitor pass deal, tag along when ccu doors open for someone else etc. I'm going to see my family member and the only reason he is playing nice is that if he just walks out then Medicare doesn't pay.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 10:33:40 AM »
As a general rule, hospital security and controlling access has gotten tighter over the past 20 years or so.  In the old days, visiting hours were maybe 1-2 hours, and all visitors had to pass by the nursing station first before they could see a patient.  Nowadays, for the general medical/surg/labor and delivery wards, visiting hours are longer and access to the ward may be much more open.  This improves patient satisfaction and makes the patients and family happier.

The level of security on a hospital ward depends on what type of care is provided there. The highest security is going to be on a locked forensic psych ward or the correctional healthcare ward, where the mentally-ill criminals or the hospitalized criminals are kept.  Next comes the newborn nursery, in which access is controlled through locked doors, every baby gets a baby LoJack and the doors automatically lock and alarms go off if someone tries to remove a baby without deactivating the baby LoJack.  Then comes the intensive care units that also often have either locked doors or the entrance goes through the ward front desk, so they can keep an eye out on comings and goings.  This is also the usual setup for people in comas or other profound neurological issues.  The typical med/surg ward is more open with little access control.

The Joint Commission, which is the primary accreditation agency of hospitals does have security criteria, and harm to a patient from an assault at the hospital is a 'never event'. 'Never events' are bad, and worse things can happen to your accreditation and penalties against the hospital can happen due to 'never events'. https://psnet.ahrq.gov/primers/primer/3/never-events

Well there go my plans to draw elaborate mustaches on the comatose.  =(

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/us/vegetative-state-birth-woman.html

So the police are tracking down all the male employees who worked there and are collecting swabs.  I see also that the patient suffered a devastating neurological injury at age three, and had been in the nursing home ever since.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
Queue monstrous questions from the local AnCap:

Who is paying for her stay at this facility from age 3 (1992) to today (2019), the last 27-ish years?

Who is now suggesting that gubmint pay MORE for this person's safety and continued perimeter protection in perpetuity, and other people in similar states?

Whoever raped this poor girl is a monster and I'm eager for him and any accomplices to receive justice or retribution.  Don't really care which.  But I want to know if/why the public is on the hook for the care costs of a 3 year old that has been in a coma for 27 years, 90% of her life.  From what I gather she's effectively brain-dead.  Yes, she's the very embodiment of everything that is vulnerable and I feel empathy for that.  But it doesn't mean the whole public should have to pay for it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
Who is paying for her stay at this facility from age 3 (1992) to today (2019), the last 27-ish years?

That's a tough one, it could be partially/fully funded by Social Security or it could be partially/fully funded by an insurance payout in the millions of dollars due to the circumstances of her injury. We don't know nor will we ever know most likely.

But I want to know if/why the public is on the hook for the care costs of a 3 year old that has been in a coma for 27 years, 90% of her life.  From what I gather she's effectively brain-dead.  Yes, she's the very embodiment of everything that is vulnerable and I feel empathy for that.  But it doesn't mean the whole public should have to pay for it.

So, you are in favor of euthanasia if the government is on the hook for prolonged care of a person's body if the mind has stopped functioning and there is no other source of funding? Is it OK if we keep the ones with private pay alive because it isn't costing the .gov (we the people) any money? Just trying to get a handle on the ground rules here. Do we then extend these rules to people with advanced dementia because they also need tons of care on the .gov dime?

bob