Author Topic: Record Number Want to Leave US Permanently  (Read 892 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Record Number Want to Leave US Permanently
« on: January 05, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
So says another Gallup poll. Yet nobody ever leaves. Also interesting that they started the poll at age 15.

Of course saying you want to leave and actually putting your money where your mouth is and leaving are always two different things. If I say I want a pony, it doesn't mean I'm going to get one.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/01/05/so-go-poll-finds-record-number-of-americans-want-to-leave-the-country-but-arent-for-some-reason/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Record Number Want to Leave US Permanently
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
There's also the issue that most countries, especially the ones you might want to live in, don't let you just show up at the border and as.  Many of them want to see some evidence that a new citizen brings something useful into the county [shocked face, I know] before they'll grant permanent residency.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »
I remember once just for the heck of it a few years back, my wife and I did an online screening application for Canada; I cannot recall if it was for citizenship or the right to work as a resident alien.  We were rejected on the basis that we were too old (in our mid and late 50's at that time) and would not be able to work enough years to cover our projected retirement and health benefits from the Government.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »
I remember once just for the heck of it a few years back, my wife and I did an online screening application for Canada; I cannot recall if it was for citizenship or the right to work as a resident alien.  We were rejected on the basis that we were too old (in our mid and late 50's at that time) and would not be able to work enough years to cover our projected retirement and health benefits from the Government.

The same will happen if you try to immigrate to one of the other civilized countries (in the southern hemisphere) of the former British empire. They don't want freeloaders sucking money and resources away from their citizens.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
Yes to all the above. In many ways I wish all these people would make the attempt, at least as far as what Millcreek experimented with. It would be a real eye-opener to them regarding "the evil US and our borders keeping people out".

Outside of the Hollywood celebs with big mouths and a lot of money, it was of interest to note that at least from the poll summary, it appeared to be "poor Americans" who want out. Exactly the people Canada doesn't want.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »
The USA, England and Germany seem to have a fetish for inviting free riders.

Most nations are trying to solve the free rider problem not make it worse.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
A big part of Brexit to end the freeloader problem....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »
I would like to see them go and wonder what we can do to help them out the door.  IMO, the country needs fewer of these people and more with the following philosophy:

I fought in three wars and three more would not be too many to defend my country. I love America and as she has weaknesses or ills I’ll hold her hand.
--General Daniel “Chappie” James
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people who wanted to leave were accepted in places like Somalia, Zimbabwe, Cambodia, Haiti, Yemen . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 08:34:37 PM »
That poll is another confirmation of the wreckage we call the public education system. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:39:33 AM »
Kind of ties into the thread:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-02/canada-says-give-me-your-mbas-your-entrepreneurs

Canada is "better" than the US for immigrants, as long as you're in the top of your class or the top of your field.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
Kind of ties into the thread:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-02/canada-says-give-me-your-mbas-your-entrepreneurs

Canada is "better" than the US for immigrants, as long as you're in the top of your class or the top of your field.
You mean they're not as welcoming as we are to Afghan poppy farmers, Somali goat herders, and Zambian charcoal burners?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain