Author Topic: Ruger LC9 magazine is no longer going in smoothly  (Read 826 times)

motojim515

Ruger LC9 magazine is no longer going in smoothly
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:35:38 PM »
My carry gun is typically a Ruger LC9. In the last week I noticed the magazine was going in rough. When the magazine release is pressed the magazine is not dropping freely out of the gun, it needs to be pulled out.

Looking at the magazine there is a scrape on the front of the right side extending roughly 1/2 way from the top down. This matches the location of the slide release catch (i guess you would call it). It is the part that holds the magazine in place until the slide release button is pressed.

My first thought was, is there something wrong with the mag release system? I stripped the gun down and looked. All the parts appear fine. Next thought maybe the magazine is getting old. I bought a new mag, Ruger OEM, and it promptly got a scratch on the magazine in the same spot.

Does this make sense?  The mag release system, See https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/lc9.pdf page 32, parts 55 & 56, Magazine Latch and Magazine Latch Spring are having issues. Where the Magazine Latch Spring is not pushing all the way out due to a bend and / or wear.

Anyone have experience with an LC9? Does this sound like a common issue? Do you know if fixing it is simple at home, or does it need a pro? The theory of remove the spring and replace the spring after stripping the gun appears straightforward. I do not know what else would need to be done.

-Jim

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Ruger LC9 magazine is no longer going in smoothly
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
I would certainly try the easy and cheap approach first: replace the spring.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
got a different magazine to try?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
Magazines are wear items.  They need to be replaced periodically.  You should also have several spares so you can rotate them in and out of your carry piece.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

motojim515

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »
got a different magazine to try?

I bought a new magazine, and used my other. So all three have the issue.

I have contacted Ruger customer support as further researching on ruger forums and youtube show this could be a known issue of the spring and system wearing.

Since I store the pistol unloaded (it is my carry gun, not one of my home defense guns), the magazines go in and out often. So wear is expected and I certainly don't think it is design flaw.  I have had the gun for at least 5 years.

motojim515

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CLTYCW/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=77859265075906&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2oxcpb0xfs_e&th=1

Damn dude, I don't think I am being butt hurt over this. Or is that what you are getting your mama for her Saturday night fun?

(Oh yeah I went there!   =D)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 02:36:37 PM »
Damn dude, I don't think I am being butt hurt over this. Or is that what you are getting your mama for her Saturday night fun?

(Oh yeah I went there!   =D)

Hey, whatever it takes.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
Since I store the pistol unloaded (it is my carry gun, not one of my home defense guns), the magazines go in and out often. So wear is expected and I certainly don't think it is design flaw.  I have had the gun for at least 5 years.

Ahhhhhh, that could be the problem.  That's a lot of wear.   I store my loaded and change out mags about once a month.   Then I download the mag (yes, I know about springs), just to give a "rest" until it's its turn to be part of the carry gear (either as a reload or in the mag well).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 06:20:12 PM »
I bought a new magazine, and used my other. So all three have the issue.

I have contacted Ruger customer support as further researching on ruger forums and youtube show this could be a known issue of the spring and system wearing.

Multiple mags do it, including a new one, so not a magazine problem.  

You've had the gun "at least 5 years", and they come out in (so sez Wikipedia) 2011, so yours is early.  I'm betting worn part, that they might have redesigned in the meantime.

Keep bugging Ruger.  I have no idea if that's an easy to replace part or not.  From the parts diagram it doesn't look too difficult.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:23:37 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »
I'll go against the grain here and say I don't think this is a magazine problem.  Sounds like the mag catch is sticking too far into the mag well.  Maybe it is dirty, maybe it has loosened some how and now doesn't sit where it should.

If you fully press the mag release button all the way in and hold it in, will the mag drop free? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 06:52:44 PM »
It looks like the parts you linked to are fairly easy to remove and inspect.  Pull the mag catch spring and button out, clean them and the mag well, then reassemble.  If that doesn't fix it, you may be able to lightly file the end of the spring to shorten it.  At least that is what I am guessing is rubbing the magazines; I have no first-hand knowledge of that gun.

Fly320s

• friend

motojim515

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 09:06:01 PM »
Similar issue to yours:  https://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/lc9-technical/14345-new-lc9-magazine-release-problem-2.html

Thank you for finding this. My google-fu must be weak today as I didn't find it. It does appear to the exact issue.

I found a video that explained how to do a replacement. I also found another explanation on getting the spring in and out to check it.

I will start with clean and lube tomorrow. Though despite roadkinglarry's suggestion, I will not be using astro glide as my lube of choice for the gun as it is water based.

motojim515

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 09:16:41 PM »
Ahhhhhh, that could be the problem.  That's a lot of wear.   I store my loaded and change out mags about once a month.   Then I download the mag (yes, I know about springs), just to give a "rest" until it's its turn to be part of the carry gear (either as a reload or in the mag well).

I had two, now three mages. I keep one unloaded and one with rounds and in the gun. When I store the gun each day I unload it, so the magazine come out. When in use I keep it with 7 + 1.  Do you carry one in the chamber also?

Do you not unload your gun when stored? My training has always been to unload the gun when taking it off for the day. I am not saying my training is perfect, I am saying it is what I have learned and developed. For carry I generally use a Crossbred IWB. I remove the gun, unload, and store. What is your routine?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »
For carry I generally use a Crossbred IWB. I remove the gun, unload, and store. What is your routine?

I take my holster, with gun in it, off my belt and set it on the counter next to my belt, keys and such.  In the morning I put the holster and gun back on.

Why unload it?  Do you check your carry rounds for setback?  How many times have they been chambered?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 09:02:21 AM »
Now that we no longer have kids in the house, I never unload my carry weapons. I take them off and put them in the safe.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

motojim515

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »
Why unload it?  Do you check your carry rounds for setback?  How many times have they been chambered?

I was unaware of setback until now. I will start checking for setback straight away. One of my habits is to periodically fire the carry ammo at the range. I like to ensure the ammo type works with the gun well. I don't do it every time as self defense ammo is, as we all know, pricey.

Thank you for that good information. It will change how I approach both ammo storage and how I am dealing with my carry piece.