Author Topic: The answer to the question no one asked...  (Read 814 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
The answer to the question no one asked...
« on: January 05, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »
The answer to the question no one asked...

The Double barreled, "4 twin shot" .22 WMR stubby pistol:
https://www.ballisticmag.com/2019/01/04/standard-mfg-s333-double-barrel-handgun

:facepalm:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
Re: The answer to the question no one asked...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
I suspect that will end up a machine gun.  Just saying...

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 08:36:33 PM »
Up until this moment, I did not know there was such a thing as .22 WMR birdshot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:50:10 PM »
I suspect that will end up a machine gun.  Just saying...

That's what we thought about the twin-1911 pistols, but they apparently got around it -- somehow.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 01:53:17 AM »
Wait justaminnit.  They un-stretch the law to opine that those ain't machineguns, but they do stretch the law to declare bump stocks and shoelaces are machineguns?

I guess they do it by defining the two actions as two separate firearms, hence one trigger pull fires two separate firearms?

Anyone seen the language involved in their approval?

Terry
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:04:17 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »
That's what we thought about the twin-1911 pistols, but they apparently got around it -- somehow.

The Arsenal twin 1911 has two triggers.  One trigger -> one bullet. * I only see the one funky looking trigger on that thing.

Regardless of legality, it's still pretty useless.

I stand corrected.  Ian explains that it does shoot two projectiles per trigger pull.  I have no idea how the ATF decides that classification.  Maybe because it's only one action cycling?  So it's a very complicated rifled shotgun?  The reasoning of our betters eludes me.  But I coincide Hawk's point, the stupid revolver is probably legal.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:58:44 PM by dogmush »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »
The Arsenal twin 1911 has two triggers.  One trigger -> one bullet.  I only see the one funky looking trigger on that thing.

Regardless of legality, it's still pretty useless.

Oh, I don't know.  That's a pretty snotty little cartridge.  I guess a lot of Deringers / derringers are sold in that caliber.  Out of a rifle, and just looking at energy (if that's all you look at) one of those rounds can approach .45 ACP foot pounds... let alone two of them simultaneously.

And the utility is in the eye of the purchaser.

But I think I'd rather be able to launch .22 Mag bullets successively.

And a dozen or more years ago I got severely "spoken to" for offering the idea that shot rounds would "stop" an attacker instantly, if properly placed and you didn't mind getting sued later by the now-blind attacker.  I hesitate, even now, to point this out again.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:55:48 PM by 230RN »

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »
Oh, I don't know.  That's a pretty snotty little cartridge.  I guess a lot of Deringers / derringers are sold in that caliber.  Out of a rifle, and just looking at energy (if that's all you look at) one of those rounds can approach .45 ACP foot pounds... let alone two of them simultaneously.

And the utility is in the eye of the purchaser.

But I think I'd rather be able to launch .22 Mag bullets successively.

And a dozen or more years ago I got severely "spoken to" for offering the idea that shot rounds would "stop" an attacker instantly, if properly placed and you didn't mind getting sued later by the now-blind attacker.  I hesitate, even now, to point this out again.

Terry, 230RN

Way back when I used to work at a gas station (20+ years ago now - holy crap) we had a regular customer that was a mobile slaughter guy for beef.  He used a rifle chambered in .22 WMR to kill the cattle before butchering them out...  He said it never took more than one round to drop a cow, no matter how big.   Of course, he was able to walk up and basically touch the muzzle to the spot between their eyes, but he said it was lights out instantly every time....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:05:50 PM »
.22 WRM IS a stout round WITH ENOUGH BARREL. When you have a 1" or so tube, what you have is a huge waste of powder.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
Up until this moment, I did not know there was such a thing as .22 WMR birdshot.
Yes.  Works great on snakes.  My H&R single action revolver stays loaded with it.  Good spread at snake killin’ distance.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:59:47 PM »
Yes.  Works great on snakes.  My H&R single action revolver stays loaded with it.  Good spread at snake killin’ distance.

Do you see much barrel leading with the snake shot?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »
The shot's encapsulated in a fragile plastic "jacket" which gets engraved by the rifling and breaks apart on exiting the muzzle.  Sorta like the shot cup in regular shotgun shells, but not really:

They are available in several calibers.

You might get "plasticing," but no "leading," and I suspect, without actually knowing, that firing a couple of jacketed rounds later on will clean it out of the barrel. I never used them that much, but when I did, I scrubbed the bore with a brass brush afterwards anyhow.

Terry

REF (Testing .22LR snake loads out of a rifle:)
https://youtu.be/zh0jCg8Ymuo (4:28)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:52:09 PM by 230RN »