Author Topic: Betcha can't stop watching this.  (Read 2230 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Betcha can't stop watching this.
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:31:08 PM »
Hints, kinks, tricks and trivia

Some old, some new, some dumb, some trivial.

But I betcha can't stop watching.

https://youtu.be/yxviTLVjvDQ (15:09)

I'll never throw a cardboard toilet paper center away again. =D

Terry
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:35:34 PM by 230RN »

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Betcha can't stop watching this.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »
Saved to favorites and downloaded for archives.  =D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:55:46 AM »
I stopped watching.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 03:56:23 AM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:16:19 AM »
Me too.

wasn't hard, the first couple were kind of dumb
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:07 AM »
Skipped through it. From my sample:

Some of them were a good idea, like the toothbrush and grout.

Some of them simply take too long to prep. If I need to vacuum stuff up from little projects, I'll grab the dustbuster. For bigger stuff, the shop vac. Plus a 2 litter bottle doesn't get into tight spots.

Some are impractical. If I'm not taking a doorknob off when painting, I've got painter's tape anyway, since I'm you know, painting, so will use that. I don't see how you can get a clean line with foil without taking forever. Also, for the paint tray, while foil could work in a pinch, real liners are like $2 for 10. I rarely have paint projects where I'm not making a stop at the paint store anyway.

Some are impractical. The drill chuck would be a pretty uneven surface to sharpen a knife. I don't carry a drill in my vehicle to jack up the car. If I'm home, I'll use the floor jack, Which also brings up, "kinda dangerous".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
I think the intent behind a lot of those tricks was improvisation in case you don't have easy access to the proper tools.  Looking at it that way, some of them were pretty cool.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »
If I'm home, I'll use the floor jack, Which also brings up, "kinda dangerous".

Over the weekend I watched (well, started) a Youtube vid made by a "car repair guy". None of the decently well-known ones, just some dude I stumbled onto on my way down the rabbit hole. He began by saying "Be sure you use jack stands". Okay, good start. Problem is the jack stands he used didn't have a center pin... you know, the part that goes up and down, and has a saddle that ensures the vehicles doesn't slide off? He was putting only the jack stand frame under the car, resting the car on the thin, rounded sheet metal ears of the center tube. That's as far as I got.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »
Over the weekend I watched (well, started) a Youtube vid made by a "car repair guy". None of the decently well-known ones, just some dude I stumbled onto on my way down the rabbit hole. He began by saying "Be sure you use jack stands". Okay, good start. Problem is the jack stands he used didn't have a center pin... you know, the part that goes up and down, and has a saddle that ensures the vehicles doesn't slide off? He was putting only the jack stand frame under the car, resting the car on the thin, rounded sheet metal ears of the center tube. That's as far as I got.

Brad

I would rather use those concrete cylinders if I didn't have complete jack stands.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »
I didn't have time to watch the entire thing.  The make shift wire strippers were interesting.  I usually prefer to go get the right tool if I can.  That is the only reason I have acquired the tools I have.  I usually end up collecting far more tools than I need/use.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »
  I usually end up collecting far more tools than I need/use.

ZIS ATTITUDE IZ NOT AKZZEPTABBLE!! Your paltry collection is nicht gut. You vil buy annuzar tool now! NOW!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
Hints, kinks, tricks and trivia

Some old, some new, some dumb, some trivial.

https://youtu.be/yxviTLVjvDQ (15:09)

Betcha I can.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »

Clickbait.

But as I said, "Some old, some new, some dumb, some trivial."

I liked the use of a dinner fork to hang a picture.  From another video showing the same trick:

https://youtu.be/262TOcKUT-s (0:53)

One minor thing that bothered me was several instances where a person using a knife or cutter was cutting toward himself. Always cut away from your own body.  Always, unless you can figure out a way to block the swing of the blade when the knife slips.

Terry "Wanna see my scars?", 230RN
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:46:11 PM by 230RN »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »
At 3:50 it shows you can use masking tape ... to mask off an area while painting.  Absolutely brilliant life hack.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
At 3:50 it shows you can use masking tape ... to mask off an area while painting.  Absolutely brilliant life hack.

Considering the number of painting jobs where they didn't do this, it might be more brilliant than you think.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:56 PM »
Considering the number of painting jobs where they didn't do this, it might be more brilliant than you think.
They still got paint all over the floor. Next video they will have to show how you can improvise a drop cloth using only a drop cloth.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
On that picture-hanging hint, I prefer using drywall screws into studs (if possible) instead of hammering in nails.  Less destructive to the plaster off the wallboard going in and coming out.  Quieter.  Stronger.   Even without a stud.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:58:34 AM by 230RN »