Author Topic: Traditonal Masculinity is Officially Harmful  (Read 572 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Traditonal Masculinity is Officially Harmful
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »
As per the American Psychological Association.

Interesting that, depending on if you're a creationist or evolutionist, masculinity has been around for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of years and doing just fine, but now it's suddenly harmful.

Heil feminism! All men please report to the "showers".

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2019/01/07/war-on-men-research-finds-that-traditional-masculinity-like-avoiding-vegetables-is-on-the-whole-harmful/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Traditonal Masculinity is Officially Harmful
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:51:08 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
... Since when is not eating vegetables a traditional part of masculinity?  ???

popeye" border="0
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:02:16 PM »

popeye" border="0

I think they threw that in as a bonus to tell people to give up meat. That way they can tie masculinity to "OMG global warming" too.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:06:51 PM »
I'm so masculine that my globals are always warming.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:50:15 PM »
Homosexual attraction and gender confusion = normal

Traditional masculinity = harmful

Our society is becoming increasingly disconnected from reality.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »
I'm finding this more relevant with each passing day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-v1TTUyhM
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »

Pretty much.

Is acting like a man always harmful? For example, if a man was misidentified as a female at birth, but now lives as the man he has always truly been, is that harmful?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:33:28 PM »

Captain Picard FTW

https://youtu.be/moX3z2RJAV8

THERE ARE ONLY 4 LIGHTS!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:52:38 PM »
Here's the crux of the problem, I think:

The main thrust of the subsequent research is that traditional masculinity — marked by stoicism, competitiveness, dominance and aggression — is, on the whole, harmful. Men socialized in this way are less likely to engage in healthy behaviors.

They seem to be confused as to what constitutes genuine traditional masculinity. I don't think my grandfather, my father, or my uncles (with one notable exception) would ever have been considered "girly-men," but they were most certainly not domineering or aggressive. They were, to use an outmoded word, "gentlemen." They didn't pick fights. They didn't intentionally insult people. They held doors open for women, children, and anyone older than themselves. They played sports to play sports, not to win at all costs. But they all stepped up to the plate when the occasion arose. My grandfather was of Scottish ancestry. When WW1 broke out, he didn't wait for the U.S. to enter the war -- he went to Scotland and enlisted in the Black Watch regiment. (He was subsequently mustered out for a medical problem, which he regretted for the rest of his life.) My father, both his brothers, my mother's brother, and the husband of my mother's younger sister ALL served in WW2.

I don't accept that the four attributes they assign to traditional masculinity are either traditional, or representative of true masculinity.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
I agree with Hawk.  The article seems to stereotype men as stoic, competitive, dominant, and aggressive, and then immediately concludes that these attributes are negative.  I may agree that the combination of all four attributes, left unchecked, can be a bad thing.  But it is foolish to conclude that anyone, male or female, who shows competitiveness or aggressiveness in some contexts is somehow wrong.  A competitive athlete who aggressively pursues goals is admirable.  A warrior who is aggressive in battle is, dare I say, necessary.  A business leader who fails to assert dominance in a meeting is doomed.

Frankly, the article, like so many written and published these days, oversimplifies the situation.  I don't need to be spoon fed what you think is important, thank you (or is that too aggressive on my part???)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
I agree with Hawk.  The article seems to stereotype men as stoic, competitive, dominant, and aggressive, and then immediately concludes that these attributes are negative.  I may agree that the combination of all four attributes, left unchecked, can be a bad thing.  But it is foolish to conclude that anyone, male or female, who shows competitiveness or aggressiveness in some contexts is somehow wrong.  A competitive athlete who aggressively pursues goals is admirable.  A warrior who is aggressive in battle is, dare I say, necessary.  A business leader who fails to assert dominance in a meeting is doomed.

Frankly, the article, like so many written and published these days, oversimplifies the situation.  I don't need to be spoon fed what you think is important, thank you (or is that too aggressive on my part???)

The research is where the oversimplification took place.

This is advocate science. Science that fits the accepted narrative. Probably all about getting money or grants.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »

popeye" border="0

Spinach is about the only green thing I'll eat. There's no point in eating lettuce or lettuce-like vegetables- it either has no nutritional value, is contaminated with improperly composted feces from 'organic farming', or both...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
After S.M.O.D. or the great plague hits, traditional masculinity will be valuable commodity again.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
After S.M.O.D. or the great plague hits, traditional masculinity will be valuable commodity again.

Or, if the US loses its position as global hegemon and the world descends into its normal status of conquering powers taking over smaller ones and skirmishing with one another.

It's funny how most people in the West think the past 70-ish years is the "normal" state of the world.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »
Spinach is about the only green thing I'll eat. There's no point in eating lettuce or lettuce-like vegetables- it either has no nutritional value, is contaminated with improperly composted feces from 'organic farming', or both...

My Dad loves spinach. He'll also go to town on cabbage, green beans, peas and carrots. Also, while technically a fruit, he loves tomatoes. And he could probably be a poster boy for traditional masculinity, minus the sports.

And my step father could probably consume an entire produce section in a grocery store if you let him. While not as stereo-typically traditionally masculine as most others, Eric isn't a frou frou either.   
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds