Author Topic: Just when you thought it was safe to turn on your cell phone  (Read 513 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Just when you thought it was safe to turn on your cell phone
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »
It's not

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nepxbz/i-gave-a-bounty-hunter-300-dollars-located-phone-microbilt-zumigo-tmobile

Sobering stuff. Why I keep location data turned off and use a free-standing GPS  in my car.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Just when you thought it was safe to turn on your cell phone
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:39:50 PM »
I am reminded of a few years ago when the Israelis used a missile to kill someone using a satellite phone. The missile homed in on the sat phone signal and that was all she wrote.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
It's not

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nepxbz/i-gave-a-bounty-hunter-300-dollars-located-phone-microbilt-zumigo-tmobile

Sobering stuff. Why I keep location data turned off and use a free-standing GPS  in my car.

If you read the article, everything you are doing doesn't matter. The tracking was done by triangulating which cell towers your phone was talking to, not the GPS or data signals.

In other words, as long as your cell phone is powered on, this tracking will happen.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
It sure does make a tempting argument to evolve personal telephone usage a little bit.

Anyone suppose that shifting to VoIP style services could make a dent in this?  Whether Google Voice or some other provider, you can then set up forwarding rules to your "real" cell number based on time of day and other conditions.  It masks your real phone number since they are calling the VoIP forwarder number.

Add to that, using a VoIP software client when possible rather than the built in telephony capabilities of a smartphone allows you to "use" the phone over wifi rather than 4G networks.  Turn off 4G unless you need it on, and use public wifi networks more.  Throw in a VPN, too, if you want.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
My wife has an obsession with murders, kidnappings, and missing persons.
A few weeks ago she was talking about a women who was murdered in Idaho, and her boyfriend/husband tried covering his tracks by shipping her phone to another state.
I told her "won't work, no way no how"
She said "But what if it were turned off?"
Me "Doesn't matter, it can still be tracked by GPS, or turned on remotely."
Her *looking worried*
Me *thinking its a good time to red pill her* I start telling her about the various technologies available, including Stingray, commonly used by police to remotely hack phones.

Her- looks at me like I was wearing a tinfoil turban.

She's not ready for reality....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama