Author Topic: Healthcare for all in New York City  (Read 800 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Healthcare for all in New York City
« on: January 08, 2019, 05:04:59 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Healthcare for all in New York City
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de-blasio-announces-guaranteed-health-care-for-all-new-yorkers-including-illegal-immigrants

I will be interested to read the details on how this will be paid for.

"What?!! No one asks how we're going to pay for evil military programs, and stupid stuff like securing the border!!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »
Honest question: does the mayor of NYC have the authority to declare this unilaterally?  If so, that's ridiculous!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:33:26 PM »
Honest question: does the mayor of NYC have the authority to declare this unilaterally?  If so, that's ridiculous!

The mayor thinks he is governor, and the king of NY.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
What with all the other freebies he's promised, this is like turning on the porchlight and wondering where all the bugs are coming from ....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 08:47:47 PM »
I will be interested to read the details on how this will be paid for.

The cynic in me says that they're already spending the money when the illegals go to emergency rooms and such.  Illegals probably also have a harder time avoiding the city taxes - sales, property, and such.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:13 AM »
The cynic in me says that they're already spending the money when the illegals go to emergency rooms and such.  Illegals probably also have a harder time avoiding the city taxes - sales, property, and such.

That's what DiBlasio said and it is a valid point, ER has become the healthcare of first resort. But more free stuff might not be the solution.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 09:12:19 AM »
What's to stop him from strong-arming Amazon, with their new facility in NYC, to add a $1 surcharge to any business conducted out of that location?  Or some other sneaky tax from the ginormous cash cow that's coming to his fiefdom?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »
Yeah, Amazon may regret the decision to move to NYC...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 04:46:40 PM »
Yeah, Amazon may regret the decision to move to NYC...

I hope they do.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 11:44:23 PM »
But more free stuff might not be the solution.

Then what is your suggestion?  Non-emergency front line medical care provision is generally cheaper than waiting for the emergency room, yet the emergency room being available is a federal requirement that DiBlasio can't alter.

To me, it's like providing trash cans in a public park where there's a major littering problem.  Sure, you're not going to stop all the littering, but you might be able to get most of the current trash into the cans, and the cans are cheaper than hiring hordes of cleaners to pick up all the litter.

I'm not saying that littering is a good thing, or that you shouldn't engage in other anti-littering campaigns.  But proper provisioning can be better in the meantime.

To get back to healthcare, maybe they should start submitting bills to the nations that the undocumented are members of.  

To me, a large part of the reason our healthcare is as expensive as it is is this very fight over "who pays", attempting to extract payment, having freeloaders who aren't explicitly paid for by somebody, etc...

Have you ever read about American experiences with foreign clinics in places like Europe?  Services provided, sometimes for free, because it isn't worth it to try billing.  Sometimes costing a couple hundred when the Americans expected thousands.  Etc...  The horror stories of people visiting the USA and needing care.  I remember some on this very board.

The US System isn't free market, it's managed to become so bad that "single payer" can actually be superior in the vast majority of cases.

If NYC is setting itself up as a sort of "payer of last resort" where the health care provider, rather than selling the debt for pennies on the dollar to debt collection companies, merely bills NYC and gets paid some minimal amount, it means that they don't have to jack rates up quite so much for the rest of us.  If they can jettison a good portion of their bill collection department* because they know how to get paid, and if they can provide services cheap enough the NYCG payments might be enough that they don't need to charge the patient at all, so much the better.

It's a sad fact that if we could have our average medical care costs approximate the median of western Europe's top half, the fed already spends enough to provide universal single payer coverage without spending an extra dime, and eliminating all private healthcare spending. 

Now, I know people here are often about the principle of the matter, but me, I care about people's pocket books as well.  I've read of people here spending $600/month for their healthcare insurance alone.  Think about that for a moment.  That amount of money is darn close enough to live on.

*I've read that this department often employs as many people as there are on the actual medical care side of the house these days.