Armed Polite Society
March 19, 2019, 07:00:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Green New Deal  (Read 595 times)
Ben
Administrator

« on: January 09, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »

Some of the stuff in the green new deal:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2019/01/09/just-wow-jim-geraghty-dives-into-not-so-pretty-fine-print-of-the-green-new-deal-and-yikes/

Some highlights:

Cut military spending by 50%
Eliminate all nuclear energy (Ben's "it's a fraud" detector immediately starts clanging) as well as natural gas (huh?)
Ban "non-essential personal transport" (I read that as cars)
Eliminate unemployment benefits (sounds good until you realize they replace them with a "govt job for everybody")
Report to moderator   Logged

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."
RoadKingLarry
friends

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »

Face Palm!
Do they want hunger games? Cause that's how you get Venezuela.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams
DittoHead
friend

the healthiest individual ever (except bone spurs)

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »

Why you need to read the fine print in that ôGreen New Dealö everyoneĺs talking about
Huh?
This is the Green Party's "Green New Deal" which has been around for awhile.
Most of the "buzz" lately has been about Alexandria Orcasio-Cortez's "Green New Deal" which is different and I think even less defined. Also bad but it seems like people are confusing them.

MechAg94
friend

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »

I would say it sounds like Communism, but I think it attempts to even more Totalitarian than that. 

"Envy was once considered to be one of the seven deadly sins before it became one of the most admired virtues under its new name, 'social justice.'"   Thomas Sowell
Amy Schumer
I'm a leaf on the wind.
Administrator

I spent a week in that town one night....

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »

Sounds more like the movie "Brazil"...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.
dm1333
friend

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 03:43:49 PM »

Huh?
Most of the "buzz" lately has been about Alexandria Orcasio-Cortez's "Green New Deal" which is different and I think even less defined. Also bad but it seems like people are confusing them.

If people are confusing them it certainly isn't the fault of those who are confused.  If they are in fact two separate programs the fault is hers for using the same name and creating that confusion.
Amy Schumer
I'm a leaf on the wind.
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »

Huh?

Here's what is being proposed:

(A) The Plan for a Green New Deal (and the draft legislation) shall be developed with the objective of reaching the following outcomes within the target window of 10 years from the start of execution of the Plan:

Dramatically expand existing renewable power sources and deploy new production capacity with the goal of meeting 100% of national power demand through renewable sources;

building a national, energy-efficient, ôsmartö grid;

upgrading every residential and industrial building for state-of-the-art energy efficiency, comfort and safety;
eliminating greenhouse gas emissions from  the manufacturing, agricultural and other industries, including by investing in local-scale agriculture in communities across the country;

eliminating greenhouse gas emissions from, repairing and improving transportation and other infrastructure, and upgrading water infrastructure to ensure universal access to clean water;

funding massive investment in the drawdown of greenhouse gases;

making ôgreenö technology, industry, expertise, products and services a major export of the United States, with the aim of becoming the undisputed international leader in helping other countries transition to completely greenhouse gas neutral economies and bringing about a global Green New Deal.

(B) The Plan for a Green New Deal (and the draft legislation) shall recognize that a national, industrial, economic mobilization of this scope and scale is a historic opportunity to virtually eliminate poverty in the United States and to make prosperity, wealth and economic security available to everyone participating in the transformation. In furtherance of the foregoing, the Plan (and the draft legislation) shall:

provide all members of our society, across all regions and all communities, the opportunity, training and education to be a full and equal participant in the transition, including through a job guarantee program to assure a living wage job to every person who wants one;

diversify local and regional economies, with a particular focus on communities where the fossil fuel industry holds significant control over the labor market, to ensure workers have the necessary tools, opportunities, and economic assistance to succeed during the energy transition;

require strong enforcement of labor, workplace safety, and wage standards that recognize the rights of workers to organize and unionize free of coercion, intimidation, and harassment, and creation of meaningful, quality, career employment;

ensure a Ĺjust transitionĺ for all workers, low-income communities, communities of color, indigenous communities, rural and urban communities and the front-line communities most affected by climate change, pollution and other environmental harm including by ensuring that local implementation of the transition is led from the community level and by prioritizing solutions that end the harms faced by front-line communities from climate change and environmental pollution;
protect and enforce sovereign rights and land rights of tribal nations;

mitigate deeply entrenched racial, regional and gender-based inequalities in income and wealth (including, without limitation, ensuring that federal and other investment will be equitably distributed to historically impoverished, low income, deindustrialized or other marginalized communities in such a way that builds wealth and ownership at the community level);

include additional measures such as basic income programs, universal health care programs and any others as the select committee may deem appropriate to promote economic security, labor market flexibility and entrepreneurism; and

deeply involve national and local labor unions to take a leadership role in the process of job training and worker deployment. 

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.
MechAg94
friend

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »

I was curious what they intended to use after banning everything.  I guess all farming equipment and food distribution would use biofuels.

"Envy was once considered to be one of the seven deadly sins before it became one of the most admired virtues under its new name, 'social justice.'"   Thomas Sowell
MechAg94
friend

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »

On the plus side, this might take care of that illegal immigration problem.   grin

Andiron
friend

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »

If those idiots think we're crazy for having a line in the sand WRT the 2nd Amendment,  They're gonna love the normies reaction to banning cars.

It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing.- Sir Terry Pratchett
jamisjockey
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
Administrator

Your mom sends me care packages

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 07:14:19 AM »

Environmentalists are like watermelons:
Green on the outside, but red on the inside.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. ôRobert Hollisö
Amy Schumer
I'm a leaf on the wind.
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »

I was curious what they intended to use after banning everything.  I guess all farming equipment and food distribution would use biofuels.

SO we currently get 2.45% of our energy needs from Wind and Solar.  Which lines up with other sources that say we get ~3% from "renewables"....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.
230RN
friend

Orange man good.

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »

My first thought was that it sounded like The Five Year Plan to me.  Except, of course, for ten years.  Can't rush things too much wih a people used to being free, you know.

My second thought was, "Who pointed out that Leftists never remember anything that happened before yesterday?"

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_five-year_plan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:03:51 AM by 230RN » Report to moderator   Logged
brimic
friends

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:10 AM »

Sounds more like the movie "Brazil"...

So time to brush up on  HVAC skills?

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama
Amy Schumer
I'm a leaf on the wind.
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 12:50:16 PM »

What ever did happen to Harold Tuttle ??   He hasn't posted in two years...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.
Ben
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 05:25:39 PM »

Feinstein responding to constituents on the green new deal. Not what you might expect.  laugh

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/02/22/nyt-basically-confirms-what-sen-dianne-feinstein-was-trying-to-get-across-to-those-smirking-kids-on-the-green-new-deal/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."
fistful
Lifestyle Editor: Gorilla Channel
friend

Republican: Woke since 1854

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »

I wouldn't say she's responding to them, Bob.

He must increase, but I must decrease.
Ben
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 06:16:12 AM »

I wouldn't say she's responding to them, Bob.

Whatever you say, Herman. Smiley

fistful
Lifestyle Editor: Gorilla Channel
friend

Republican: Woke since 1854

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 09:44:12 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E2w4sTLKtA

He must increase, but I must decrease.
Ben
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 05:48:35 AM »

Oh.  laugh

I haven't watched that in forever. I need to watch it again and refamiliarize myself with the references.  laugh

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: