Author Topic: The cure for a dropping national fertility rate...  (Read 2074 times)

freakazoid

• friend
The cure for a dropping national fertility rate...
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
So CBS Evening News is playing in the background and they did a news clip that was less than a minute stating that the US fertility rate is dropping and that we might need immigration to keep it up, then it was over.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The cure for a dropping national fertility rate...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:25:18 PM »
So CBS Evening News is playing in the background and they did a news clip that was less than a minute stating that the US fertility rate is dropping and that we might need immigration to keep it up, then it was over.

Ummmm... Phrasing?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »
We need those immigrants to do the baby-making Americans won't do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:01:43 AM »
We need those immigrants to do the baby-making Americans won't do.

Thing is, all of Europe, most of the Orient, Russia, etc...  All have the same problem.  There aren't going to be enough people in "developing" nations to provide the immigrants, at least without emptying out entire countries, as even their birth rates are declining.

The way we're going, we're actually looking at global population decline in 50 years or so.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:47:01 AM »
Thing is, all of Europe, most of the Orient, Russia, etc...  All have the same problem.  There aren't going to be enough people in "developing" nations to provide the immigrants, at least without emptying out entire countries, as even their birth rates are declining.

The way we're going, we're actually looking at global population decline in 50 years or so.

Which we (especially the global warming/climate change acolytes) should be celebrating. After all, if it's all us people and our toys that are creating the problem, logic would suggest that fewer people should equate to less of a problem.

In fact, twenty or twenty five years ago there was a movement called "Negative Population Growth" that was actively advocating for population reduction as the cure for a lot of society's ills.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_Population_Growth
http://www.npg.org/

And what about automation and robotics? The United States used to be a manufacturing powerhouse, and "the arsenal of the free world." Look how many liberty ships we cranked out during WW2 to keep Great Britain supplied -- and how quickly we did it. Today I don't know if there are any civilian ship yards left in the U.S. We are hemorrhaging real jobs, so as what industries we have left continue to follow the siren song of automation and robotics, IMHO it only makes sense to NOT keep producing babies who will grow up to find no jobs.

And I don't think we need to import immigrants to compete with Americans for whatever jobs will be left.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »

Ummmm... Phrasing?

Ha! Took me a few seconds. :rofl: :angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »
I think a falling fertility rate is a poor reason to continue unlimited immigration which I am sure is their thinking.  We have plenty of legal immigration.  I think many of them just want to have cheap unskilled labor they can hire without a competitive labor market.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
Some months back, I heard a story on NPR about the Japanese childbirth rate being much lower than a replacement rate, and this, combined with the increasing number of aging Japanese as a percentage of population, was making them think about relaxing immigration standards.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »
I would argue that many problems we have in the US whether it be crime and weather related disasters just as too examples are directly related to population density and location. We would probably be better off with fewer people not more.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »

Aren’t Africa, India and the poorer sections of the Levant still picking up the slack?

The third world dumb bunnies are breeding like crazy because of the first world advances in not letting them starve.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
The left: OMG, the sky is falling, we need to reduce global population!
Also the left: We need to import 3rd world barbarians or else our population is going to decline!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 12:22:04 PM »
The Social Security advocates piss and moan about falling birth rates and "sustainability" (translation:  enough plebs to rob to keep the ponzi scheme running).  This is where the GOP always yields to the left on border security, because of their SS/AARP demographic.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 12:49:21 PM »
Google Japan's "Virgin Killer Sweater" https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/virgin-killing-sweater
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »
Probably the best "cure" to falling fertility rates would be to eliminate social security and medicare.  There is pretty good evidence that gov pension plans significantly reduce birthrates.

People no longer have kids to support them in their old age.

Politically impossible for obvious reasons.

My father said the norm when he was young was for the elderly to live with and be cared by for their children.