Author Topic: The Bronx chick strikes out  (Read 110829 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The Bronx chick strikes out
« Reply #475 on: September 11, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »
And more hard when you're stupid.

It's even harder when your parents instilled almost zero knowledge about how best to manage your life, household, and relationships, having outsourced that to the public schools who SPECTACULARLY fail at teaching those.

(I'm reminded, here, of her either real or feigned ignorance of a garbage disposal.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #476 on: September 11, 2019, 04:18:03 PM »
The average voter has never read the Constitution. Or any book that's not about wizards, vampires, or dominance fetishists.
What do you have against John Ringo books?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #477 on: September 11, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this as it could go in several active topics right now, but since it's the imbecile again, I guess here. I've been taking a step back on Crenshaw because he appears to support red flag laws, but he seems to be taking our side in this back and forth.

Pretty offensive to have someone claim that if you're a gun owner, you're an abuser of some kind, and apparently if you're not a gun owner, you shouldn't touch a gun, because you're probably an abuser of some kind (at least if you're a male).

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/reps-ocasio-cortez-and-crenshaw-gun-control
Military Arms Channel posted a synopsis of a conversation he had with Dan Crenshaw about that.  I meant to go back and read it in detail but I haven't.  I recall seeing that he said Crenshaw would not support any existing red flag law or bill so I am not sure where he stands.  I need to go back and read that.  I hope he was just unaware of just how bad that laws are, but we will see.  Crenshaw isn't from my district, but I figure he will rise to higher office at some point if he doesn't screw it up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #478 on: September 11, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »
I need to go back and read that.  I hope he was just unaware of just how bad that laws are, but we will see. 

I sure hope that's the case. I've been very impressed with most everything else I have heard from him. The "pro red flag" thing (and it may be MSM reporting, not his stance) really threw me for a loop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #479 on: September 11, 2019, 08:22:24 PM »
I sure hope that's the case. I've been very impressed with most everything else I have heard from him. The "pro red flag" thing (and it may be MSM reporting, not his stance) really threw me for a loop.
Here is a quote from MAC's patreon page.  I don't know if he posted it anywhere else and I don't want to re-post the whole thing.
1) He does not and will not support any currently proposed red flag law. He did say we should have a discussion with the anti-gunners about their merits, but he absolutely does not support and will not vote for anything being proposed at this time.

He said Crenshaw referenced a CATO institute study/article.  He said he asked for a link to the specific study he was referring to, but he found this list of related links on that site. 
https://www.cato.org/search#?cludoquery=red%20flag%20law&cludopage=1&cludorefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cato.org%2F&cludorefpt=Cato%20Institute%20%7C%20Individual%20Liberty%2C%20Free%20Markets%2C%20and%20Peace

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #480 on: November 30, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's promise to boost federal funding for social programs should not be considered "free stuff," because they are in fact "public goods," the New York Democrat said in a Monday tweet.
"People like to say, 'Oh, this is about free stuff.' This is not about free stuff," she said during the town hall. "I never want to hear the word, or the term, 'free stuff,' ever again."
FREE STUFF!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-policies-free-stuff
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #481 on: December 02, 2019, 08:25:16 AM »
FREE STUFF!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-policies-free-stuff

Well, in this case, to a degree I sort of agree with her. A lot of what she's endorsed already exists. Of course, expanding on stuff that's already been given away for free still makes it free stuff.

But when you get to Elizabeth Warren and the rest of the Dem field outdoing themselves with an ever-increasing litany of new programs that are, apparently, universal, fundamental human rights and MUST be free, then we have a problem.

Free universal child care! Because it's society's responsibility to pay for a kid(s) you can't afford.

Free universal college education! Because you NEED that degree in Comparative Gender Norms of Underwater Basketweaving to ask the guy at the drive in if he wants fries with his value meal.

Free universal income of $1,000 a month? A Freedom Dividend? Haven't we learned from Federal Wefare programs that nothing is quite so enslaving as free money?

Yeah, you get the idea.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #482 on: December 06, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »
I guess she got tired of dropping down the news cycle:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/12/06/dishonest-or-just-ignorant-aoc-grabs-another-shovel-and-digs-her-food-stamp-work-requirement-hole-a-little-deeper/

She needed to put "adults" in quotes. Make up your mind - you can't just be an adult at 18 when it's convenient or beneficial. "Adult" means having to suck it up on the responsibility front. Also, no one in the US starves to death (in the literal sense she is implying) unless they want to (or are like, being held captive by a maniac or something). Maybe visit some areas of Africa where yeah, people literally die of starvation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #483 on: December 06, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/785167895/who-should-get-free-college-buttigieg-ad-inflames-key-divide-among-democrats?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

I found this article useful in explaining the different approaches to the 'free college' issue amongst the Democratic candidates.  Call me when they start to talk about 'free voc-tech' as an option, too.  Not everyone wants, or is cut out for, the traditional four-year college approach.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #484 on: December 06, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/785167895/who-should-get-free-college-buttigieg-ad-inflames-key-divide-among-democrats?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Call me when they start to talk about 'free voc-tech' as an option, too.  Not everyone wants, or is cut out for, the traditional four-year college approach.

I continually find it fascinating that the far left always talks about "working folks" but then treats anything that's not at least a 4 year university degree in a white collar subject as some kind of deplorable redneck punishment.

"How dare you suggest not everyone can get a degree in astrophysics? Only a racist would suggest someone go to welding school because they can't do physics. Everyone is a winner!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #485 on: December 06, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
I continually find it fascinating that the far left always talks about "working folks" but then treats anything that's not at least a 4 year university degree in a white collar subject as some kind of deplorable redneck punishment.

"How dare you suggest not everyone can get a degree in astrophysics? Only a racist would suggest someone go to welding school because they can't do physics. Everyone is a winner!"

I'd like it if we started failing people who shouldn't be high school graduates and make a high school diploma worth something, so thousands of jobs that just require basic competence can just start requiring a high school diploma.

Oh, and provide a high school track for people without the capability or inclination to go to college, as well.

I know that's crazy-talk, but I can dream.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #486 on: December 08, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
I guess she got tired of dropping down the news cycle:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2019/12/06/dishonest-or-just-ignorant-aoc-grabs-another-shovel-and-digs-her-food-stamp-work-requirement-hole-a-little-deeper/

She needed to put "adults" in quotes. Make up your mind - you can't just be an adult at 18 when it's convenient or beneficial. "Adult" means having to suck it up on the responsibility front. Also, no one in the US starves to death (in the literal sense she is implying) unless they want to (or are like, being held captive by a maniac or something). Maybe visit some areas of Africa where yeah, people literally die of starvation.

She said it's "notoriously difficult" to get disability.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #487 on: December 08, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »

I think this may be true, to some degree.  At work, I interact with patients/attorneys who are filing for Social Security disability.  Apparently everyone is turned down at the first attempt. It seems to take quite a long time, and many exams and evaluations before you are approved.  I think it goes quicker if you have an experienced attorney, as opposed to doing it yourself.  I think also that once you get disability, you have to be periodically re-evaluated for it to continue. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #488 on: December 08, 2019, 10:39:29 AM »
I think this may be true, to some degree.  At work, I interact with patients/attorneys who are filing for Social Security disability.  Apparently everyone is turned down at the first attempt. It seems to take quite a long time, and many exams and evaluations before you are approved.  I think it goes quicker if you have an experienced attorney, as opposed to doing it yourself.  I think also that once you get disability, you have to be periodically re-evaluated for it to continue. 

Millcreek is the expert here, but my layperson's perspective is that it seems to be both easy and difficult to get disability. Seems like people who would actually benefit more from exercise and diet can get the damn plates and drive around stores in a scooter, while people who have real issues that can't easily be solved through diet and other non-medical intervention methods have to fight for a year or two to get help.

I'm probably a big meanie, but half the people I see with plates seem to weight twice what they should. I realize some of that is medical conditions, but I think a lot of it is poor self-care.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #489 on: December 08, 2019, 09:20:11 PM »

From numerous cases I have been witness to, it seems to be that the more truly disabled one is the more difficult it is to get disability.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #490 on: December 16, 2019, 08:23:18 AM »
She has the nerve to complain that she has too many Gold Plans to choose from. In the meantime, my crappy bronze plan just went up another $100/mo and I'm seriously thinking about throwing my principles out the window today, the last day of open season, and going on the exchange to get the subsidy. With all the expenses and deductions I had this year, I might just squeak under the $48K MAGI.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/12/15/aoc-is-very-angry-that-she-has-66-gold-obamacare-plans-to-choose-from/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #491 on: December 16, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
Of course she's mad. She HATES choice. That's why she's in the "medicaid for everyone!" No choice needed, necessary, or allowed!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #492 on: December 16, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
Millcreek is the expert here, but my layperson's perspective is that it seems to be both easy and difficult to get disability. Seems like people who would actually benefit more from exercise and diet can get the damn plates and drive around stores in a scooter, while people who have real issues that can't easily be solved through diet and other non-medical intervention methods have to fight for a year or two to get help.

I'm probably a big meanie, but half the people I see with plates seem to weight twice what they should. I realize some of that is medical conditions, but I think a lot of it is poor self-care.

Handicap plates are not the same as SS disability.

You're right in that nearly anyone can get a handicap plate/tag, but to get Social Security to cut you a check every month is a different story.  Remember, FedGov will quickly and easily take your money, but getting money from DC requires mountains of paperwork, a red-tape scythe, and a congressman in your pocket.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #493 on: December 16, 2019, 08:41:46 AM »

Of course you're right.  I did not engage my brain on that one. :)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #494 on: December 16, 2019, 07:42:13 PM »
She has the nerve to complain that she has too many Gold Plans to choose from. In the meantime, my crappy bronze plan just went up another $100/mo and I'm seriously thinking about throwing my principles out the window today, the last day of open season, and going on the exchange to get the subsidy. With all the expenses and deductions I had this year, I might just squeak under the $48K MAGI.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/12/15/aoc-is-very-angry-that-she-has-66-gold-obamacare-plans-to-choose-from/

Funny how she wasn't complaining that Congress gave itself better plans than it gave others.

None of them should get any benefits. It shouldn't be a cushy job that people get comfortable in.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #495 on: December 16, 2019, 08:07:34 PM »

You're right in that nearly anyone can get a handicap plate/tag, but to get Social Security to cut you a check every month is a different story.  Remember, FedGov will quickly and easily take your money, but getting money from DC requires mountains of paperwork, a red-tape scythe, and a congressman in your pocket.
But I have heard it can be easy if you get the right doctor to sign off on it.  Hard to say since I have no idea if the SSN actual does any enforcement on it. 

In general, free money tends to attract fraud. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #496 on: December 16, 2019, 08:29:07 PM »
Ive got a little direct observation of the SSDI process.
My wife's brother developed serious and debilitating heart problems a few years ago (while I believe his health issues are mostly self inflicted by way of recreational pharmaceuticals is mostly irrelevant). He was a carpet and flooring installer, it can be very hard work. He has approximately 65% heart function, an un-treatable aneurism type thing as well as a few other issues that prevent him from doing the only job he knows. So not capable of any sort of manual labor, not really capable of retraining into a tech field without starting at zero. Even my cynical self concedes he is "disabled". He fought the system for almost 3 years and 4 hearings to get his approval.

My daughter-in-law's sister developed fibromyalgia. she applied for SSDI. When she got in front of the judge for the 1st hearing, along with whatever medical documentation she had she told the judge she should get SSDI because she has the same condition as her mother and her mother gets SSDI.  Approved.

My sister has suffered several strokes and is confined to a wheel chair and lives in a nursing home, mostly unable to care for herself, a ward of the state. has to regularly have someone fight just to keep her on whatever medicaid/welfare/ disability coverage she gets. It's not like she is going to get better, ever.

So, my experience tells me that the more actually disabled you are and truly deserving of SSDI the more difficult it is to get it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #497 on: January 10, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
Bit of a tangent to the article, but does anyone know what that map means? I couldn't find a legend in a quick search. I'm interested in seeing if she says she has affected elections at the blue dots or if her money is going there to affect future elections. And is it R vs D, or far left D vs currently elected D? It sounds kinda like she wants to kick out dems who aren't commie enough.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-riles-dems-by-refusing-to-pay-party-dues-bankrolling-her-colleagues-opponents

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »
Typical socialist behavior... your money is mine, but my money is never yours.

I couldn't figure out what the map was, either, but I did a quick scan of the article. The impression I got is that she's backing hard left contenders to run against established moderate Dems. Essentially she's trying to party harder left, and it's creating a lot of bad feelings and setting up a potential schism inside the party.

Which makes me a very sad panda...  :rofl:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
Typical socialist behavior... your money is mine, but my money is never yours.

I couldn't figure out what the map was, either, but I did a quick scan of the article. The impression I got is that she's backing hard left contenders to run against established moderate Dems. Essentially she's trying to party harder left, and it's creating a lot of bad feelings and setting up a potential schism inside the party.

Which makes me a very sad panda...  :rofl:

Agreed. She seems to be interested in funding a socialist/communist revolution within the Democratic party. I hope the Ds keep that in mind when Ms. AOC proposes bills that are important to her and her constituents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design