Author Topic: The Bronx chick strikes out  (Read 110751 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The Bronx chick strikes out
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2019, 09:28:18 AM »
"Latinos should be exempt from immigration laws"

As I always say, the only immigrants the left seems to think exist are those from South of the border.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-calls-to-abolish-ice-says-latinos-must-be-exempt-from-immigration-laws-because-they-are-native-to-us

Useful voters
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »
"Latinos should be exempt from immigration laws"

As I always say, the only immigrants the left seems to think exist are those from South of the border.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-calls-to-abolish-ice-says-latinos-must-be-exempt-from-immigration-laws-because-they-are-native-to-us

:laugh:  What does she think Latino means? Does she think the average Argentinian traces his heritage to Arizona, or something? Does she think every Latin American is mestizo?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2019, 01:05:50 PM »
:laugh:  What does she think Latino means? Does she think the average Argentinian traces his heritage to Arizona, or something? Does she think every Latin American is mestizo?

You seem to be assuming she is actually capable of thinking. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »

She has no idea. To her it's just a word.

My late wife was a Latina. She considered herself a Latina and was proud of it. She died before gaining U.S. citizenship, so she made no pretense of being "American," even though her native country is in South America. And she absolutely refused to consider herself "Hispanic." Her view? "I'm not from Spain, how can I be Hispanic? These classifications are stupid!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2019, 05:23:10 PM »
She has no idea. To her it's just a word.

My late wife was a Latina. She considered herself a Latina and was proud of it. She died before gaining U.S. citizenship, so she made no pretense of being "American," even though her native country is in South America. And she absolutely refused to consider herself "Hispanic." Her view? "I'm not from Spain, how can I be Hispanic? These classifications are stupid!"

So was she from Latium?

Do you realize you tell the story of your wife and her preferred demonym about once a month?  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2019, 11:27:31 PM »

Do you realize you tell the story of your wife and her preferred demonym about once a month?  :P

No. Is it that often?

Sorry, but I miss her.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2019, 11:44:51 PM »
No. Is it that often?

Sorry, but I miss her.

He exaggerates, a little bit ;) and I’m sure he doesn’t mind any more than the rest of us, it’s endearing.

You tell your stories whenever the mood strikes you.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
We don't need 70 or 90%.  We just need to limit the long term capital gains rate so that the uber rich aren't paying less than their secretaries.

Phase it out at around $100k or so so that people who worked for their money aren't paying more taxes than those that simply got returns from investments.

Or we could make everyone, regardless of type or amount of income, pay the same rate.  At flat 15% for every dollar earned in any way is probably enough to cover the budget.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
He exaggerates, a little bit ;) and I’m sure he doesn’t mind any more than the rest of us, it’s endearing.

I agree with Ron, please tell your stories whenever the mood strikes you.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »
Or we could make everyone, regardless of type or amount of income, pay the same rate.  At flat 15% for every dollar earned in any way is probably enough to cover the budget.

Agreed, and I've always thought that 15 percent might be the right number. I think there might be some "floor" beneath which income isn't taxed at all, but that should be low -- like around the poverty level. Maybe the first $20,000 or $25,000 isn't taxed, and all income above that is taxed at the same rate.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »
Or here's a novel idea.  Eliminate the 16th amendment, let the states levy taxes as they will, and shrink the size of the federal government back down.
The 16th is the amendment that killed federalism. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2019, 07:53:28 PM »
Wait a minute, it wasn't free  ???

Ocasio-Cortez Campaign Film Draws Top Dollar From Netflix
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-07/ocasio-cortez-campaign-film-draws-top-dollar-from-netflix

The studio paid $10 million for the movie, estimated to be the most ever for a documentary, according to industry website Deadline.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »
She should be taxed at at least 70%.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »

Please sir.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »
It probably wouldn’t surprise many of you here to know I read/have read a lot from what is called the alt-right and neo-reactionary alternative “media”.

I ran across this take on AOC and just have to share.

http://www.amerika.org/politics/aoc/

Just to make it clear, this guy is a nihilist and his prescriptions do not represent my views on all the current issues of the day in any way. While I’m cynical and skeptical about much I find life bursting at the seams with meaning.

His analysis of AOC resonates with me.

I do believe she has the similar gift/skill that Trump has and we shouldn’t right her off as crazy, nutty, dumb etc.

It could be all hokum also, but Trump becoming President and his odd effectiveness after such an unlikely win has forced me to think outside the box about a bunch of stuff.

Remember, she’s not trying to convince us, she has a target audience she is trying to persuade.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 08:07:05 AM »
It probably wouldn’t surprise many of you here to know I read/have read a lot from what is called the alt-right and neo-reactionary alternative “media”.

I ran across this take on AOC and just have to share.

http://www.amerika.org/politics/aoc/

Just to make it clear, this guy is a nihilist and his prescriptions do not represent my views on all the current issues of the day in any way. While I’m cynical and skeptical about much I find life bursting at the seams with meaning.

His analysis of AOC resonates with me.

I do believe she has the similar gift/skill that Trump has and we shouldn’t right her off as crazy, nutty, dumb etc.

It could be all hokum also, but Trump becoming President and his odd effectiveness after such an unlikely win has forced me to think outside the box about a bunch of stuff.

Remember, she’s not trying to convince us, she has a target audience she is trying to persuade.

She's also the champion of an ignorant generation. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »

Jonah Goldberg had a very similar take in NRO awhile back. I think it's pretty accurate.
In other words, AOC is quite brilliantly playing a lot of people for suckers. She already has more Twitter followers than the other 60 incoming freshman Democrats combined.

Ocasio-Cortez, wittingly or not, has appropriated a technique mastered by President Trump.

Trump prefers positive attention, but he’ll take negative attention over no attention every time, in part because he knows his supporters will intensify their dedication to him in response to allegedly unfair attacks. AOC is doing the same thing. By forcing partisans to take sides, she generates controversy. Controversy attracts media attention. Media attention generates even more controversy. And so on.

As with Trump, sometimes she clearly knows what she’s doing, and other times she simply displays her ignorance. But at this stage, it doesn’t matter. The more right-wing partisans attack her, the more left-wing partisans rally to her. The more left-wingers rally to her, the more justified the Right feels in paying attention to her.
She's building a brand and at this stage, any attention is going to help her.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
I'm not sure I'd call it "brilliant".  Her twitter following is an echo chamber.  She is surrounded by people who prop her stupidity up.
But it's not to be underestimated. 
She truly believes the communist idiocy she spouts.  I believe that in my soul. 
JD

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
I remember reading an op-ed I think it was by and not about Obama and pretty sure it was before he was elected senator or just after. My takeaway was crap, they're going to make him president. And they did.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2019, 08:58:35 AM »
I'm not sure I'd call it "brilliant".  Her twitter following is an echo chamber.  She is surrounded by people who prop her stupidity up.

Yep
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »

Indeed. Trump is Trump and will change when circumstances dictate it is advantageous to do so. She really, truly believes her commie stuff. Though it has been interesting watching the backpedaling and blaming the conservatives on the green deal thing. As I read somewhere else, it sounded like something a bunch of high schoolers put together and somehow thought the adults would take seriously. That seems to be true of most everything I have seen from her as of yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2019, 10:40:40 AM »
She's also the champion of a willfully ignorant generation. 

FTFY

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »
So has anyone heard what their "Final Solution" for farting cows is suppose to be?

Only things I can come up with are

A: Install cow fart filters on every cow
B: Pass a law making cows farts illegal
C: Employ the Nazi "Final Solution" model
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
She should be taxed at at least 70%.
PLUS New York State income tax PLUS Bronx income tax
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain