Author Topic: WTF is wrong with people?  (Read 846 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
WTF is wrong with people?
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/joshua-tree-damage-government-shutdown-offroading-13524335.php

Joshua Tree National Park is still open, but understaffed. Are people grateful they can still use the park? Apparently not -- it seems they think that's just carte blanche to wreck the joint.

Bring on Road King Larry's plague!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: WTF is wrong with people?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:10:17 AM »
To quote Cameron Poe: "My first guess would be... a lot."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
Another thought: "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Apparently, so too, our national parks.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:19:58 AM »
Sadly, that's become the norm. Here at the Museum we've seen a noticeable uptick in the number of incidents rooted in people's lack of concern/care for the antiquities on display. Teens are bad enough but a room full of drunk socialites is the worst. They don't give a crap about anyone or anything but themselves in the best of circumstances. Fill them with overpriced booze and they turn into self-entitled jackasses. More than once we've had one move a barrier or barge right into an "authorized persons only" area for a selfie with one of the displays. We caught one couple trying to life the cover off a modern-art sculpture because they wanted to see what the materials felt like.

I used to try and be nice because a lot of them are fairly generous donors. I don't any more. At the first sign of obstinate behavior I ring the campus PD and have them send a uniformed officer. That usually gets the point across that we're not kidding when we say "no".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »
I’ve been in retail outfitting folks going on outdoor adventures for over a decade now.

When I first began I thought it was a good thing that more people were enjoying and learning to appreciate the wilds.

A decade down the road now I’ve seen what “more people” means to the environment and it ain’t pretty.

Keeping these shitty people confined to their shitty cities and burbs and out of the wilderness is probably the best idea.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
"To quote Cameron Poe: "My first guess would be... a lot.""

I don't even have to guess at it.

People are aholes. I hate people.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »
I still say part of this is all the people getting in for free. The kind of people who wouldn't go to a park if they had to pay, but "hey, it's free" are often the kind that are rude in other aspects of their lives. The trash problem seems to be mostly in California. I note places like Zion are closing down more because of snow/road maintenance issues and the like.

The National Forests here are free, with very limited refuse disposal, etc. and I have never really seen ridiculous trash problems like those recently pointed out at National Parks during this shut down. Of course usually the National Forest areas are a bit harder to get to, and I guess they draw a different class of people.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
The media wants to act like it’s a result of the shutdown but people trash, vandalize, and destroy the facilities and wilderness even when staffed. Also plenty of deaths, from murders to accidents to suicides. The media does love to push the shutdown narrative though
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:25:02 PM »
The media wants to act like it’s a result of the shutdown but people trash, vandalize, and destroy the facilities and wilderness even when staffed. Also plenty of deaths, from murders to accidents to suicides. The media does love to push the shutdown narrative though
What some people will do when they think no one is looking would surprise folks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »
At least now we know when the democrats go to all the national monuments/parks.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
I'll never forget when we were in Santa Monica a couple of years ago. Our hotel was overlooking the pier, and every night around 7 about a dozen tractors showed up to rake all of the garbage off of the beach. There was tons. As in, not a single one of the thousand plus people who spent the day there removed anything they brought with them. It was disgusting.