Author Topic: 4 to 7 inches of snow?  (Read 4289 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
4 to 7 inches of snow?
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:02:11 AM »
ABANDON YOUR CARS NOW!!!

I had hoped that I'd get through the winter without seeing any snow, but it looks like we're going to have a nice little storm starting later today and going into early Monday morning.

Just joy. Freaking joy.

The back to back blizzards of 2009 - 2010, both of which dumped 20+ inches of snow, finally broke my brain. I finally understand why Mom hated winter so much.

The concept of snow is pleasing. The reality is... not.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 4 to 7 inches of snow?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
Preach it brother!

6-10 is the prediction out here in Warrenton.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »
So far, here in Columbus, it has been snowing since around 7:00 a.m.  Pretty light so far, maybe 1/2 inch at most.  Supposed to do this all day, which will give us a few inches.  Good day to binge watch something and make a pot of soup...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 10:06:12 AM »
ABANDON YOUR CARS NOW!!!

I had hoped that I'd get through the winter without seeing any snow, but it looks like we're going to have a nice little storm starting later today and going into early Monday morning.

Just joy. Freaking joy.

The back to back blizzards of 2009 - 2010, both of which dumped 20+ inches of snow, finally broke my brain. I finally understand why Mom hated winter so much.

The concept of snow is pleasing. The reality is... not.

Latest map I saw had us just above the north edge of Snowmageddon!!!(TM).  <shrug>.  This ain't Texas.  We've been through this before.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
Just back from running errands.   Roads are no big deal.  I've driven in worse.  Only thing is it reinforces my need to look at new tires for my car.  Just about due, so time to look at prices.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
No snow in the forecast or on the ground in NH.   =D
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »
1-3 due here in Chicagoland.

There is dusting to half an inch currently.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »
Just back from running errands.   Roads are no big deal.  I've driven in worse.  Only thing is it reinforces my need to look at new tires for my car.  Just about due, so time to look at prices.

Take a look at Nokians. They're a Finnish company that has been making pretty much the best snow tires on the road for years. They've branched out into all season and summer only in the last couple of years. They're trying to make their name in non-snow tires so you can find some pretty killer deals. I put 4 of their high performance all seasons on my R32 in April, and so far they've been about identical to the Continentals that I replaced. Noise, and traction on dry, wet and a light dusting is about the same; but I found them on sale at Walmart.com for $65 each less than the Contis. They were also $50 a tire less then my shop could get them for wholesale... Free shipping to the shop was nice too.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »

Not even enough to cover the bullet casings.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »
Took Robert to get his driver's license this morning.  His was the last road test before they said the roads were too slick.

And yes, he passed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
It started snowing about noon yesterday. The roads turned into absolute garbage, which surprised me. I expected they would have already been salted beforehand. It looks like at least 8" out there, if not more. More snow and ice on the way, until Sunday night.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »

Not even enough to cover the bullet casings.

That really made me laugh.

It snowed.  Here.  West of Denver.  Again.  2-3 inches, just enough to show the rabbit tracks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:57:01 PM by 230RN »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »
There is no frozen stuff falling yet.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »

NW IL here.  I estimate about a half inch right now. Snowing steadily, side streets are pretty crappy.  My daughter reported cars in ditch, coming back from Rockford late morning.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
Nw Illinois looking at about 6” and still coming down hard, starting to blow and drift.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »
Just shoveled 2+ off the drive.

Coming down pretty good now, probably going to get more than they initially forecasted. Yep, just looked, may get up to 5 inches.

I’ll do all the sidewalks tomorrow using the snowblower and clear the drive again.

Snow drives business at my work so this is good. Hiking will be nice also, not so grey and blah in the woods.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:43 PM »
Louisiana weather per HeroHog, Reply #14:

Interesting graphs.

But:

Pressure  29.99 in
Visibility  10 miles
Clouds  Clear
Etc.

Anyone know why they no longer state whether the barometer is rising, falling, or steady?

I've noticed that for the past couple of years.

It used to be that rising, falling, or steady was a primary predictor of short-term conditions.

A given value of pressure is not a predictive number and basically useless unless I'm setting an altimeter.  It's a descriptive number, but not a predictive one unless you know what the pressure was, say, an hour ago.

What gives?

Terry
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:58:28 PM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
Take a look at Nokians. They're a Finnish company that has been making pretty much the best snow tires on the road for years. They've branched out into all season and summer only in the last couple of years. They're trying to make their name in non-snow tires so you can find some pretty killer deals. I put 4 of their high performance all seasons on my R32 in April, and so far they've been about identical to the Continentals that I replaced. Noise, and traction on dry, wet and a light dusting is about the same; but I found them on sale at Walmart.com for $65 each less than the Contis. They were also $50 a tire less then my shop could get them for wholesale... Free shipping to the shop was nice too.

I put Nokian "Entyre" tires on my Focus last year.  They were cheap (at walmart.com) and they might be the best tires I've ever owned, especially on slick icy-snowy roads.  (they suck on just dry bare ice, but I think all tires do unless they're studded)  I offered to buy a set for my daughter a few months ago.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
Louisiana weather per HeroHog, Reply #14:

Interesting graphs.

How do ya like the Temp spread/Yo-yo?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
BULLET casings?

Numbnuts...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 06:29:16 PM »
How do ya like the Temp spread/Yo-yo?

I guess that's unusual for you near sea level, with lots of water around.  But we get diurnal variations of 35° and more quite routinely.  Thin dry air (less thermal mass), and a mile less atmosphere for the sunlight to penetrate to warm things up in daytime makes for a yo-yo ride. See:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.7836&lon=-105.1675&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

Tomorrow it will go from 18° to about 40° which isn't too extreme, but the air is pretty wet right now, so it's got some thermal mass to it.  We've only got about 80% of the air up here than you have. Normal barometer hereabouts is only about 630 mmHg or so.  Sea level nominal is 760 mmHg (29.92").

But I guess nobody is willing to educate me on how come they don't say where the barometer is going any more.  I wrote to NWS about that, no answer.

Must be the fracken alien masters don't want us to know where the barometer is heading.  Might cause worldwide panic or something.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://www.sensorsone.com/altitude-pressure-units-conversion/

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:13:09 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 06:34:36 PM »
Hourly barometric history is right there in your 3 day history for your local forecast at weather.gov.

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KBKF.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »

The weather here in North Louisiana varies a bit.

MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »
One can dig up history of barometric pressure variations, but what I'm asking is why they don't simply put "rising, steady, or falling," after the number.  Doesn't seem to be a big software problem