Author Topic: 4 to 7 inches of snow?  (Read 4283 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 4 to 7 inches of snow?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 10:20:59 PM »
Ben, one can dig up history of barometric pressure variations, but what I'm asking is why they don't simply put "rising, steady, or falling," after the number, the way they used to. 

You don't have to dig them up, they are right on the main local forecast page, which makes rising/falling redundant, since the chart is higher resolution data. "Rising" can be 30.00-30.01 or 30.00-30.20 over an hour, which vary from nothing to significant. The chart lets you see that.

The NOAA all hazards radio station still gives rising/steady/falling since you can't get the hourly list off the radio, obviously.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:20 AM »
Yeah, OK, I found it, so thanks.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2019, 06:18:54 AM »
Forecasted for freezing rain, sleet and snow overnight.  We got some ice in the trees but the roads are bare and wet.  I think we were just a degree or two too warm for anything really nasty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2019, 06:27:54 AM »
We've got a bunch of snow here. Sucks ass.

The predictions have risen steadily over the past several days until now they're calling for up to 8 inches in my area.

Today's a big pot of chili kind of day.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2019, 08:02:04 AM »
We ended up with what looks like 8” to me. I spent about an hour on the tractor last night. Township plowed to us and turned around at my drive so I also plowed 1/4 mile of our road since the neighbor uses that part.
I love the led work lights I mounted last year. 24” spot/flood bar on top and mini cubes for the rear.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 08:10:07 AM »
Unless it picks up today, we're right around 6" it looks like.
But at least I'm expected to dig out and go to work tonight without a paycheck coming this week.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 08:15:11 AM »
Right now we have about 5 and change, but it just picked up, and Fox News is saying we'll probably have between 6-8 before it ends today.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
At least we're just wet, sloppy and not quite cold enough to freeze.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
Yeah it's big flakes now accumulating again. Headed to work shortly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 12:58:54 PM »
Missed this snow storm, I have my XC skis and snowshoes just waiting to be used.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
We ended up with what looks like 8” to me. I spent about an hour on the tractor last night. Township plowed to us and turned around at my drive so I also plowed 1/4 mile of our road since the neighbor uses that part.
I love the led work lights I mounted last year. 24” spot/flood bar on top and mini cubes for the rear.

I'd say about 2 inches here.   
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
maybe 3 to 4. It was fluffy stuff last night, but it turned crusty this morning, which beat down the fluffy.

Pretty normal "heavy" snow for this time of year around here. The drive to work in the morning should be interesting, what with re freeze and all that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
Neighbor pounded on my door a bit ago. He was doing some work in the back yard and some how his wedding ring flew off his finger and into my back yard.

We looked for a bit, but with all the snow it apparently burrowed in. We'll have to find it once the snow melts...

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 02:37:49 PM »
Neighbor pounded on my door a bit ago. He was doing some work in the back yard and some how his wedding ring flew off his finger and into my back yard.

We looked for a bit, but with all the snow it apparently burrowed in. We'll have to find it once the snow melts...

Did you have a bonfire going or something?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »
I lost my wedding ring one day at my dads when I was clearing snow off my truck windshield with my ungloved  hands. Dad found it in the spring in the grass next to his driveway.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »
Had plenty. Got out and built an igloo with my girls from what we shoveled off the driveway yesterday, and a snowman today.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 06:22:34 AM »
Fed Gov is actually closed today. I'm going to head into the office, but after the sun comes up and hopefully starts the roads to melting.

For a 4 to 7 inch snow storm, what we got looks suspiciously close to a freaking foot.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 06:52:21 AM »
I'm waiting for the sun to come out before seeing what's what with the road. Yesterday it was wet and slushy. We had a light dusting last night, not quiet an inch, but close. So that on top of frozen muck is what I'm anticipating. They don't generally treat my road so my boss may have to suck it up and accept that late today is going to be really late. I'll drive in any snow I can get clearance through in my little car. I won't drive on ice even if I had a 4 wheel drive.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »
The good parts about yesterday's storm is that I made absolutely the best chili I have ever had. Very different kind of recipe. I'll post about it in Mess Hall later because it was truly monumental.

The other good part is that Seren really enjoyed the snow. I wish I had somewhere where she could have really run around in it and got a little crazy, but the back yard isn't big enough.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:16 AM »
I feel lucky. We are approaching mid-January with no snow on the ground and temperatures hovering between 20-30s most of the time. We had one snowfall 2 weeks ago that amounted to about 3" of snow. Mildest winter that I can remember...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »
Fed Gov is actually closed today. I'm going to head into the office, but after the sun comes up and hopefully starts the roads to melting.

For a 4 to 7 inch snow storm, what we got looks suspiciously close to a freaking foot.

I worked to 9 last night and back at 0630 this morning.  Roads were *expletive deleted*it out here last night.
JD

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 11:42:03 AM »
I feel lucky. We are approaching mid-January with no snow on the ground and temperatures hovering between 20-30s most of the time. We had one snowfall 2 weeks ago that amounted to about 3" of snow. Mildest winter that I can remember...

We're having a fairly mild winter so far but we are way up on rainfall.
Of course our weather pattern gives us sun and temps in the 50s and 60s during the week and cold and wet on the weekends.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
Currently 48 degrees and clear at my house, 45 miles north of Seattle. This has been a remarkably mild winter so far. Only one day last week in which we got a dusting of snow on the grass. It is down in the high 20's at night.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
Snow is melting nicely. Monday afternoon and most of today was warm and sunny. By the end of the week we should be having some rain, so that should take the rest of the snow out.

Sunday it's going to get into the mid 40s...

Which ushers in a kick ass arctic blast for a couple of days. The low on Sunday is 9... With wind chills approaching, or dropping below, 0.

Joy.