Author Topic: Vox takes down Obama admin talking points on "skills gap"  (Read 706 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Vox takes down Obama admin talking points on "skills gap"
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:19:41 PM »
So an economic theory blaming unemployment on the skills gap came out during the O administration.
Well, that was a lie.  Vox of all places takes the argument to task
https://www.vox.com/2019/1/7/18166951/skills-gap-modestino-shoag-ballance
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Vox takes down Obama admin talking points on "skills gap"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »
I realize this is anecdotal, but the biggest issue I've heard from people seeking employees isn't so much a skills gap - they're perfectly willing to do a lot of training on the job. It's just getting people who can pass a drug test and show up consistently. That started in the Obama years and has only gotten worse since then.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
It's just getting people who can pass a drug test and show up consistently. That started in the Obama years and has only gotten worse since then.

I have heard that as well. Is like 3/4 of the country on drugs or something? Holy hell.

I've also read about the "showing up consistently". I don't know if it's just mostly millennials or what, but the whole "come to work when I want to thing" is baffling to me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
I realize this is anecdotal, but the biggest issue I've heard from people seeking employees isn't so much a skills gap - they're perfectly willing to do a lot of training on the job. It's just getting people who can pass a drug test and show up consistently. That started in the Obama years and has only gotten worse since then.

It's been going on longer than that but it has gotten worse as time goes by.
I was telling my kids when they were first old enough to get a job that if they could pass a drug test and just show up to work on time every day they would be be miles ahead of more than half of the people out there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:39:45 PM »
Here in Washington state, we generally no longer bother testing for marijuana as pre-employment testing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »
I have heard that as well. Is like 3/4 of the country on drugs or something? Holy hell.

I've also read about the "showing up consistently". I don't know if it's just mostly millennials or what, but the whole "come to work when I want to thing" is baffling to me.

I think so. Around here the goal is to pretty much become a non working mother *expletive deleted*er on welfare and the ones that are halfway willing to work tend to value the pot over a job, even if they do have a family to support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
There's also a problem with skilled, experienced workers in the tech industry - scientists, engineers, etc. - being unwilling to work for low wages. Hence the desire for foreign applicants with H1B visas.

When you're only willing to pay peanuts, all you'll be able to hire are monkeys.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
The showing up thing is huge. I work in a machine shop basically that helps mass produce food for fat Americans and furriners, as well as building our robot overlords. At almost 44, 3 welders are older, two are younger. We have several machinists in the sixties. We actually hire that old. Willing to take someone who served french fries and teach them to run a mill. If they show up... And you only get drug tested now pre employment or if you go to the hospital on the job. And it's a hurdle. Even when you tell them wink wink, nod nod that they only need to pass the initial screen.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »
The last time I worked a blue collar job, about 11 years ago, they sent me to the drug testing immediately after my interview.  Later, I was told that supposedly the five prior applicants failed the drug test.   Worked out for me! :rofl:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
I've been injured twice in the last 25 years at work, both times being relatively minor lacerations that needed sutures.
In both instances, they made me pee in a cup before they would even treat me.
I've known of people who injured themselves at work, and immediately went home, because they were pot heads.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama