Author Topic: More "toxic masculinity" bullsqueeze  (Read 7539 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
More "toxic masculinity" bullsqueeze
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
This stuff continues to spiral deeper into the crazy abyss.
Sell your *expletive deleted*ing product on it's merits and leave the preaching to the ministry.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/p-g-challenges-men-to-shave-their-toxic-masculinity-in-gillette-ad-11547467200
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: More "toxic masculinity" bullsqueeze
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:43 PM »
I guess this approach would make sense if they were selling a new line of surgical blades in a Self-gelding KitTM.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
The problem is that their marketing people have determined that there's a large market out there made up of squishy, "woke" millennial types who actually believe this "toxic masculinity" stuff. The Brits are even targeting them in military recruiting.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »
Looks like I'm going to be shopping new razor blades. 

Sucks,  I've used mach 3's forever.

*expletive deleted*ing SJWs.  Stuff like this makes me think the reckoning can't happen soon enough.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »
Looks like I'm going to be shopping new razor blades. 

Sucks,  I've used mach 3's forever.

*expletive deleted*ing SJWs.  Stuff like this makes me think the reckoning can't happen soon enough.

I've been using the 4-blade from Dollar Shave Club for quite a while now.  They're good quality, excellent price, and really quite durable.  The only minor downside is the "club" part.  I end up with more replacement blades than I really need, but it's easy enough to cancel or suspend my account for a while.  It is more convenient to have them shipped to me though, so it's a wash.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
I've been using the 4-blade from Dollar Shave Club for quite a while now.  They're good quality, excellent price, and really quite durable.  The only minor downside is the "club" part.  I end up with more replacement blades than I really need, but it's easy enough to cancel or suspend my account for a while.  It is more convenient to have them shipped to me though, so it's a wash.
I was member for a year or so.  After accumulating a pile of blade packs, I shut it down.  Still have 2 or 3 packs of blades left a year or two later.  I am not sure if I will start back up with them after I am done or try something else.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
I am not responsible for the behavior of all men.  I refuse to accept group responsibility.  I doubt there is any point in addressing each item they talk about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
While I have been wrong about this stuff before, this seems like a really stupid marketing move for Gillette. It seems to me that the majority of their "user base" is "average guys" who just shave because they have to, choose some disposable that works for them, and that's that. They are sports game on Saturdays, likely blue collar, and somewhat apolitical.

Hitting them with the "men are bad" thing is not going to endear them to Gillette. It's going to likely make them political enough to react in the way many of us do when we are nagged by the SJW scolds.

The kind of guy that will embrace this is a hipster beardy, or somebody that uses some classic or whatever hip shaving technique*, and they aren't buying Gillette products anyway.

*Full disclosure, I'm a safety razor  and once in a while straight razor guy myself. I just have a pretty much rest of my life supply Israeli blades, so will also never buy a Gillette razor or blades.  
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
I shall avoid this company's products as they are so restrictive and binary in their "gender" descriptions.

Any company that limits to two "genders" and fails to recognize the vast "gender" spectrum clearly demonstrates a closed minded attitude that I must take exception to.

I am so open minded about "gender" that I follow all Facebook "gender"  descriptions:

Agender
Androgyne
Androgynous
Bigender
Cis
Cisgender
Cis Female
Cis Male
Cis Man
Cis Woman
Cisgender Female
Cisgender Male
Cisgender Man
Cisgender Woman
Female to Male
FTM
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Intersex
Male to Female
MTF
Neither
Neutrois
Non-binary
Other
Pangender
Trans
Trans*
Trans Female
Trans* Female
Trans Male
Trans* Male
Trans Man
Trans* Man
Trans Person
Trans* Person
Trans Woman
Trans* Woman
Transfeminine
Transgender
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Transgender Man
Transgender Person
Transgender Woman
Transmasculine
Transsexual
Transsexual Female
Transsexual Male
Transsexual Man
Transsexual Person
Transsexual Woman
Two-Spirit

Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
I'm not changing my razor brand because the company that makes them made an @$$hat marketing decision.......

..... it will only prompt the brand I switch to to make an even @$$hattier decision ...... [tinfoil] [popcorn]   :old: :old:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »
This stuff continues to spiral deeper into the crazy abyss.
Sell your *expletive deleted*ing product on it's merits and leave the preaching to the ministry.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/p-g-challenges-men-to-shave-their-toxic-masculinity-in-gillette-ad-11547467200

Real toxically masculine men don't shave.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »

This. Get the shave butter too. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »

Damn straight! =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »
I've been reading the SJW reaction and it really highlights their inability to have empathy for anyone not exactly like them. That they are unable to do simple things like replace "male" with "female" or "black" and see how it would be received.

"BUT all the ad is doing is saying don't do bad things! How is that offensive!"

"It's not talking about ALL men, it's just saying that some men do bad things!"

"If you're not doing that kind of stuff, the ad isn't talking about you!"

Ok, Ms. SJW, now do the same with an ad targeting black people.

Despite your beliefs, the normal American isn't a moron and he will recognize double standards and hypocrisy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »
I've been reading the SJW reaction and it really highlights their inability to have empathy for anyone not exactly like them. That they are unable to do simple things like replace "male" with "female" or "black" and see how it would be received.

"BUT all the ad is doing is saying don't do bad things! How is that offensive!"

"It's not talking about ALL men, it's just saying that some men do bad things!"

"If you're not doing that kind of stuff, the ad isn't talking about you!"

Ok, Ms. SJW, now do the same with an ad targeting black people.

Despite your beliefs, the normal American isn't a moron and he will recognize double standards and hypocrisy.
Agreed.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »

Going to have to give that a look.  My problem is a 20 pack from Sam's Club lasts me close to 18 months, so I've got a while to decide.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »
Eh. Having watched the ad, I'm having a hard time feeling outraged. Don't be a *expletive deleted*che and call other men that are being a *expletive deleted*che. It's not like they're saying real men eat organic tofu granola and sit when the pee.

But then maybe I'm just not prone to being triggered.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 06:25:10 PM »
Eh. Having watched the ad, I'm having a hard time feeling outraged. Don't be a *expletive deleted*che and call other men that are being a *expletive deleted*che. It's not like they're saying real men eat organic tofu granola and sit when the pee.

Yeah, sorry, I watched it too and call me triggered, but if they mention "me too", that to me anymore equals "Kavanaughed", and that makes them the douches.

There are any number of ways they could have gotten across, "Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth", but they chose the SJW way. Which actually spits in the face of men being raised to be honorable, because honorable = toxic masculinity in newspeak.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »
I thought we all switched to DE razors years ago.  =)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »

Meh. I can see why a lot of guys would be offended. The message is pretty heavy handed and it paints the world as having more bad guys than good.

I'd say a series of ads, each addressing a different type of nasty behavior, slightly lighter in tone, would have gone over better. Have the good guy be the clean shaven hero and the bad guy is scruffy. Make your sale, send a message and you don't have to offend over half your customer base to do it. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 08:24:39 PM »
This keeps happening all over. SJW types invade a company, think the world, (and their customer base) thinks like them, then they promulgate opinions that get them pats on the back from their own kind, but are so out of touch with their customer base that they don't realize they are biting the hand that feeds them. A great example is videogames. Videogame studios are being infiltrated by SJW types who think that their job is to police thoughts instead of make games that their target audience wants. So instead of making games that engage with the fantasies of their very distinctly male audience, they basically ruin the games. The SJW types aren't even the ones that are buying the games, so appeasing them wins the company nothing, it just drives off their actual customers, and the SJWs are emboldened and move on to screw up someone else. Like razor companies, apparently.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »

Real toxically masculine men pound their whiskers back in with a hammer and bite them off on the inside.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
I've been using the 4-blade from Dollar Shave Club for quite a while now.  They're good quality, excellent price, and really quite durable.

Gillette priced me out of being a customer many years ago, so the ad doesn't matter much in my case.  Reading about it online, it does sound like they've alienated over half their customer base.
I've been using Dollar Shave Club for several years now and found their blades to be pretty good.  I frequently get two weeks of shaves out of one of their blades.  Of course, I've managed to store enough blades at this point to last me for a couple of years.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 09:15:31 PM »
I am not responsible for the behavior of all men.  I refuse to accept group responsibility.  I doubt there is any point in addressing each item they talk about.

See, that's the thing.  The SJWs clump human critters into groups.  Individuality for them is a mortal sin.  That's why the Left/Progressive/Statist individuals are so dangerous to the Republic and Western Civilization in general.  They DO NOT accept individualism and the concept of individual liberty.  It's all about groups to them.  If anything is toxic it is the SJW religion.  The second problem is that not many people actually understand, or believe that about those individuals who have also clumped themselves into their own group, the SJW group.

As for Gillette, meh.  I use a Norelco wet/dry shaver in the shower.  I buy some throwaway shavers at the Dollar General.  I get about 6 or 8 of 'em for a dollar.  I get 4 or 5 shaves out of them when I use them now and then.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw