Author Topic: More "toxic masculinity" bullsqueeze  (Read 7570 times)

Andiron

• friend
Re: More "toxic masculinity" bullsqueeze
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »
Just wrote P&G a polite nastygram,  and attached my receipt to the Dollar Shave Club's starter pack.  For $5,  it's worth it as a tangible "*expletive deleted*ck you".  And I get new razor blades and shaving cream to try.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 10:23:46 PM »
I have been using Dollar Shave club 4 blade razor for at least a couple years.  My brother uses Harry's and I am thinking of trying them next.  We will see.  Gillette is out of the question.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:20 PM »
I have been using Dollar Shave club 4 blade razor for at least a couple years.  My brother uses Harry's and I am thinking of trying them next.  We will see.  Gillette is out of the question.

If you don't like what Gillette did, apparently Harry's doubled down on it. Just FYI.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:49 PM »
If you don't like what Gillette did, apparently Harry's doubled down on it. Just FYI.
I hadn't heard that.  I assume you mean the video here?  Was there more to it?  That video didn't seem to accuse all men of being jerks and preach about it like the other one did.  Of course, it didn't have anything to do with shaving either so it seems pointless as a commercial for Harry's. 

https://www.gq.com/story/this-shaving-commercial-will-make-you-weep?intcid=inline_amp

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 10:40:56 PM »
I hadn't heard that.  I assume you mean the video here? 

Don't know, didn't see a video, just a mention regarding Harry's in one of the articles about Gillette.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 12:03:55 AM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
On Harry's, apparently they had beat Gillette to the punch and put theirs out a year ago, but nobody noticed it until the Gillette kerfuffle.  :laugh:

Harry's has apparently pulled it.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/01/16/harrys-razors-deletes-tweet-calling-for-new-definition-of-masculinity/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:43 AM »
Dollar Shave Club was a little more realistic.

Dollar Shave Club

@DollarShaveClub
Replying to @ignorantusua11y
Take care of yourself. Respect others. Buy our stuff.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 09:38:43 AM »
I finally noticed this also.      :laugh:

Ricky Gervais

@rickygervais
 I used to love beating up kids at barbecues. Now I realise that is wrong. Also, my balls have never been smoother. Thanks, Gillette.

4:21 AM - Jan 15, 2019

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
A men's shaving commercial that references The Young Turks. Well that effin' tears it. Makes me proud of my beard, as unenviable as it is.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
My morality is not derived from large corporations or TV commercials.

P&G will not be getting any money from me henceforth due to their stepping out of their lane and supporting progressive bull *expletive deleted*it.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »

https://babylonbee.com/news/gillette-now-including-free-manly-side-bag-with-every-purchase

http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/16/gillette-ad-waxes-nostalgic-fathers-left-yanked-boys-lives/

Ironically, the concept of young men having confident, positive male role models is a conservative message and has been for a long time. It has been the progressive left and the media that encouraged several generations of young men to indulge their every desire outside of morality or social structures like marriage.

Both young men and women have been told for decades to sexually objectify themselves and consider their impulses sacred rights rather than denying themselves through responsible behaviors. The culture has downgraded marriage and the family to, at best, a comic annoyance one grows out of to, at worst, a repressive and unhealthy outdated concept that should be rejected. The obsession with celebrating single motherhood as an act of feminist self-determination and a society that views fathers suspiciously as optional caregivers has denied far too many males sufficient role models.

An overly sexualized media combined with an overly violent entertainment culture has left generations of boys growing up with only TV shows to guide them. Fathers have been largely neglected and are often only celebrated when denouncing masculinity and embracing feminism.

While the progressive scoffs at this line of reasoning and has for a very long time, the truth is everything they lecture us about proper male behavior today, they aggressively shamed out of society a generation ago. This is simply what happens when the father’s authority in family life is denounced, shamed, and cut out altogether.

https://ricochet.com/589015/gillette-is-not-wrong/

There were a couple of undercurrents in the Gillette ad that suggested feminist influence – the term “toxic masculinity” should itself be toxic – but overall, the ad is pretty tame, even valuable. I have no idea if it’s the best way to sell razors, but as social commentary, it’s not offensive. “The Best Men Can Be” begins by showing men looking the other way as boys fight, shrugging “boys will be boys.” It shows men laughing at a comedy portraying a lout pantomiming a lunge at a woman’s behind. It shows kids teasing a boy for being a “freak” or a “sissy.” These are followed by more uplifting images of men breaking up fights, interfering with men who are harassing women, and being loving fathers to daughters. We hear a quote from former NFL star Terry Crews, saying “Men need to hold other men accountable.” These images didn’t strike me as a reproof of masculinity per se, but rather as a critique of bullying, boorishness, and sexual misconduct.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:13:51 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »
While I recognize that a lot of people see the Gillette (and similar) ads as not a big deal, here's my problems with them:

They presume me (all men) to have already committed a transgression. Not particular men - all men. Harvey Weinstein does something and I'm guilty by gender association. I need to "do better". I need to "be better".

Maybe it's my own social surroundings, but whenever I hear or have heard "be better" being used, I take it as a negative statement: "You're a bad person and you need to be better". It assumes bad behavior (or lack of good behavior) and scolds us to "do a better job". Statements like Gillette is making assume this guilt by association. Some men did something bad, so all men have to face some consequences and all men have to apologize.

Melania Trump has the "be best" campaign that everyone makes fun of. While the phrase is a bit clunky, I read it as "be your best". This is (again, based on my own upbringing and social surroundings) a positive phrase. It does not assume I have done something wrong that I need to atone for. It assumes that I'm already trying to do good (or at least doesn't assume I need some kind of correction), and just tells me to be the best I can be every day.

Be honorable. Tell the truth. Be your best. These are things that "toxic masculinity" has been teaching us for literally thousands of years. Gillette could have easily gone with "Be your best" or "Be the best man you can be" and left it at that. They didn't need to drop "me too" and other "bad behavior" references into the ad. Of course I guess that would have contributed to the "toxic masculinity".

I think zahc hit the nail on the head in his post above regarding who/what drives much of this nonsense.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »
Ben spake:

They presume me (all men) to have already committed a transgression. Not particular men - all men. Harvey Weinstein does something and I'm guilty by gender association. I need to "do better". I need to "be better".

Statements like Gillette is making assume this guilt by association. Some men did something bad, so all men have to face some consequences and all men have to apologize.

Gee.

Gender "Original Sin."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Do as we say, not as we do:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »
I heard this talked about on the radio this morning.  A guy name Dan Schick called in to let them know there are other razor brands that are already sold in stores.   =)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
While I recognize that a lot of people see the Gillette (and similar) ads as not a big deal, here's my problems with them:

Maybe it's my own social surroundings, but whenever I hear or have heard "be better" being used, I take it as a negative statement: "You're a bad person and you need to be better". It assumes bad behavior (or lack of good behavior) and scolds us to "do a better job". Statements like Gillette is making assume this guilt by association. Some men did something bad, so all men have to face some consequences and all men have to apologize.

Melania Trump has the "be best" campaign that everyone makes fun of. While the phrase is a bit clunky, I read it as "be your best". This is (again, based on my own upbringing and social surroundings) a positive phrase. It does not assume I have done something wrong that I need to atone for. It assumes that I'm already trying to do good (or at least doesn't assume I need some kind of correction), and just tells me to be the best I can be every day.

Be honorable. Tell the truth. Be your best. These are things that "toxic masculinity" has been teaching us for literally thousands of years. Gillette could have easily gone with "Be your best" or "Be the best man you can be" and left it at that. They didn't need to drop "me too" and other "bad behavior" references into the ad. Of course I guess that would have contributed to the "toxic masculinity".

I think zahc hit the nail on the head in his post above regarding who/what drives much of this nonsense.
Well said. 

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nDs84E3BQI&feature=youtu.be&t=0m0s

Stefan Molyneux did a nice job of taking that one apart.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »
PETA gets in on the Masculinity Ad craze. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL38scvWFno

[popcorn]

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
We need another extinction level event after that ..... :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 01:32:28 AM »
I have a Gillette razor, but it's about 80 years old.  Generally I use a 40-something year old Schick razor because I like it better.  (they are both good)  I think the 100-count box of Astra blades that I bought 5 years ago might be a lifetime supply because I don't change them that often.  If I do need more, I'll buy another box of Astra or Feather blades, not Gillette.

It still pisses me off when a company says FU to its customers.  (the men who actually appreciate the ad probably don't buy razors)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
I thought this was an excellent response (by a woman) to the ad and why it bothered so many of us:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-so-many-people-bothered-by-the-Gillette-advert/answer/Kristine-Carlson?ch=1&share=bd7af8c0&srid=2IOe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2019, 11:18:41 AM »
Also, if you disagree with the Gillette ad, you are apparently a bot.

Democratic Coalition

@TheDemCoalition
Replying to @AOC

We are looking into it further, but a lot of that opposition seems to be bots and trolls, led by GOPers. They’ve tried this tactic with companies for years now. Take a look at the Keurig Hannity “controversy.” The only legit boycotts have come from The Resistance.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »
I thought this was an excellent response (by a woman) to the ad and why it bothered so many of us:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-so-many-people-bothered-by-the-Gillette-advert/answer/Kristine-Carlson?ch=1&share=bd7af8c0&srid=2IOe

And from that rebuttal, the key point (that Gillette overlooks completely):

Because real men treat other people with respect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
Also, if you disagree with the Gillette ad, you are apparently a bot.

That does seem to be the new common excuse when things like this happen.